• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020
Does it mean by replacing the CF 3-pin click spring with gen can solve the poor bezel mechanism?
That by itself isn't all that's needed. The tension ring (washer) doesn't fit right on previous batches and the hytrel ring is skinny and cheap. The newest batches have improvements, so fewer tweaks should be needed.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
That by itself isn't all that's needed. The tension ring (washer) doesn't fit right on previous batches and the hytrel ring is skinny and cheap. The newest batches have improvements, so fewer tweaks should be needed.
I am tired of pulling apart those watches from clean, so I will follow modders who analyse the actual updates (i dont say improvements) by clean.

Reactions: KJ2020

hin92

Horology Curious
23/1/12
I am trying to swap out the CF xtal with a Gen xtal for my new DD3285. I have succeeded to press out the old xtal, but I have a problem removing the retaining ring (The one with teeth) and the old xtal gasket. Does anyone have any tips on how I can remove them and install a xtal gasket with the correct height?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks @KJ2020! I will give a try with a razor blade. Mine was extremely hard and didn't move a bit when i tried it with case opening knife. Mine Gen xtal is 2mm and have 2.7 and 2.85 mm gasket available. Which one would you say will give most Gen look?
I couldn't say bro. I would definitely try both - it's super easy since you have both gaskets. Fit the new crystal to each gasket and set each in place on the watch. No need for any other parts to do the date mag eval.

If you want to post pics here I'm happy to do a collage for you and give my opinion. Just make sure pics are clear and in good, similar light.

Reactions: mcboom and hin92

ichiban

Looking Around
4/9/23
Great job bro. One other thing that CLEAN doesn't do right is fit the bezel tension ring (flat washer) around the retaining ring teeth. That washer should fit flat to the case, not half up on top of the teeth. It can get in the way of the click ring and cause binding or unnecessary parts wear.

Top half is correct, bottom half is not
jPfBTS.jpg

For anyone wanting to go the extra mile, the inner perimeter of the washer can be sanded down easily enough so it will fit properly.

Wrap sandpaper around a thin round tool
jPfpUL.jpg

I add back a tiny bit of silicone grease every few scallops since every bit was removed.

jPfrDP.jpg

derjenigewelcher Thanks for the post, awesome work!
Does the tension ring (flat washer) have a specific top or bottom side? Or does it not matter which side I use?

ichiban

Looking Around
4/9/23
It does not have a specific top or bottom. It does need to fit outside of the retaining ring teeth and scallops - not underneath or sitting on top of the teeth.

HoAcqY.jpeg
Thanks alots to you and derjenigewelcher. I removed all the grease and lightly polished the ring. Then, I carefully reapplied a small amount of Fomblin from Bergeon to every second tooth. Now it feels like my gen from 2018. :p

Noob42069

Known Member
20/11/21
Weirdly there’s a difference in price and the one I linked also has the flat washer piece.

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
Superb write-up, thanks for doing this.

Can’t believe the amount of grease they put in there!!
Check to verify that the bezel tension ring (washer) is not binding on the retaining ring. The retaining ring is another weak point in the CF bezel assembly, it is thin and flimsy and may not mate well with the gen washer. Its teeth can be sanded back a little if there is binding. A gen crystal retaining ring is a better solution but they are not cheap of course. Silicone grease is what I use to relube the retaining ring. When I cleaned all the grease off one of mine AND sanded both the inner perimeter of the washer and the teeth of the retaining ring, the bezel would not rotate at all. Pretty crazy how badly CF screwed up the bezel components. I have DHGate shiiters whose bezel mechanics put CF's to shame.

CF retaining ring on top of an old BP for comparison
jPf4Zj.jpg

Sanding the inner perimeter - a round tool is inside the sandpaper
jPfpUL.jpg

Top is how the washer should fit, bottom is how most CF's come
jPfBTS.jpg

A small blob of silicone grease every third scallop
jPfrDP.jpg

You can test the bezel functionality before mounting it permanently by removing the hytrel ring for the tests
jPf6MJ.jpg
Hello @KJ2020 and thanks for all your help and support for the community.

I bought this CF VTNR and arrived 3 days ago, when received I rotated the bezel but it didn’t have any clicks but today when I was removing the bezel plastic protector the bezel came off the watch! I noticed the enormous amount of grease applied I reduced the amount of grease and noticed the flat washer is already underneath the retaining ring teath. I reassembled the bezel back and I can now hear the clicks clearly but the bezel still comes off the watch very easily. I have also noticed the the bezel openings are less than the ones shown on the Pepsi’s bezel by at least does the amount!! Is this normal? Does original VTNR bezel come with the smae structure? Can you please advise on what to do to fix the issue? I haven’t done any treatments to the parts. Thanks in advance.

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
It looks like your hytel ring is missing
Which one is the hytel ring? See below photo, it shows all parts out with the bezel.
I am just not sure of the back of the bezel, it shows less openings than the one in Pepsi, is this normal? I assembled it back but it still comes off easily with small amount of upward pressure. Any ideas on how to fix it? @derjenigewelcher @KJ2020

mcboom

time & patience - the two most powerful warriors
Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
Hytrel ring is missing from inside here. You can also use fishing line as some members have successfully done.

Last edited:
Reactions: engbanna1