• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hi Guys /// Update 1. May 2024 Second part under this one: Best results with stock parts only

Those who follow me a little know that I do reviews from time to time or that I take photos of a build from time to time.
This time it's different and I still hope that I can entertain some people here.
In the best case scenario, I can even help with your problem if you have the same.

I ordered a CLEAN Factory GMT Master 2 BLRO "Pepsi" knowing that the bezel is known for its poor construction.

I wanted to use this directly to get some practice :)

Image 1:
Of course you don't see that the bezel has backplay. This about 4-6mm, so already enormous. In addition, it can only be turned very softly without clicking the GEN (yes, non-Submariners also click - just different) and is not aligned with the triangle at 12 o'clock.

Image 2 and Image 3:
After removing the bezel you can see why it doesn't click: Clean just smeared the whole shit full of grease. What is also noticeable is that the spring is a little too big and made of rather soft material, hence the backplay: it is simply too flexible. They really smeared loads of that grease in there. The CLEAN structure only works like this - nothing turns at all without grease - unlike other factories such as ARF, where the entire structure fits in such a way that no grease is needed (as I been told).

Picture 4:
Here you can see the structure of the bezel after I have cleaned about 30-40% of the grease.

Picture 5 and 6:
As mentioned, the whole bezel was still misaligned, so I had to use a carpet knife to remove the inlay and remove the adhesive in order to put it back in correctly after installing the new spring.

Picture 7:
Here you can see 38mm adhesive rings for bezel inlays - thanks to Aliexpress :)

Picture 8:
Here you can see the two bezel springs: below the uncleaned CLEAN spring and above the GEN spring from Rolex.

Picture 9:
After removing 30-40% of the grease on the washer under the bezel, I clamped the GEN spring, which moves perfect and has no play / flex.

Picture 10:
I then pressed on the bezel and glued in the bezel inlay using an adhesive ring, here you can see the result.
It was fun and the result is stunning. Clicks like GEN, and I was able to practice building the case a little right away.
I hope you had fun with the pictures :)

Lot of greetings from Switzerland

Updated Part 2 1. May 2024 (NO GEN PARTS NEEDED, NO SPARE PARTS NEEDED)

So for those who dont want to spend the extra money on a genuine spring for 100-150 USD I can give you an update how i fix the bezel problem These days when I am working on a CF. Last I did was a V3, where IMO the Washer was updated and the bezel sat straight on the case, perfect.

1. Pop off bezel carefully (so you can use the hyrtel ring a second time) and DEGREASE this whole mayonaise as usual
1.2. CTime would sell CF hyrtel rings as spare parts in case
2. add small spots of silicon crease in the scallops on the casering

3. pull the (stock) spring out betweet the 3 pins for some extra tension (no backplay anymore, more "crispyness").
4. check bezel inlay alignement and realign if needed
5. Put it all together and be happy

Picture of the most important point, part 3.

Last edited:

jimbotron

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/21
This is a terrific write up. I have this exact same issue with my Pepsi. Would you be able to share where you purchased the GEN spring from?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great job bro. One other thing that CLEAN doesn't do right is fit the bezel tension ring (flat washer) around the retaining ring teeth. That washer should fit flat to the case, not half up on top of the teeth. It can get in the way of the click ring and cause binding or unnecessary parts wear.

Top half is correct, bottom half is not
jPfBTS.jpg

For anyone wanting to go the extra mile, the inner perimeter of the washer can be sanded down easily enough so it will fit properly.

Wrap sandpaper around a thin round tool
jPfpUL.jpg

I add back a tiny bit of silicone grease every few scallops since every bit was removed.
​​​​​
jPfrDP.jpg

derjenigewelcher Thanks for the post, awesome work!

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 mh it is because thst the bezel can be pullet odf with some effort wven by hand? Or simply distance?

The improper fit of the tension ring (flat washer) does impose too much upward pressure on the click ring and hence the bezel. This can indeed contribute to the bezel popping off both because of the increased pressure and also due to constant force and wear on the already thin and weak hytrel ring.

StJin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/19
FR/USA
KJ2020 The bay seller posted previously in this thread is no longer selling that exact click spring. Instead he is selling this one - slight difference in model numbers. Would this also work on our CF GMT's? Thanks in advance!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 The bay seller posted previously in this thread is no longer selling that exact click spring. Instead he is selling this one - slight difference in model numbers. Would this also work on our CF GMT's? Thanks in advance!

Can't say firsthand hand bro. Rolex part numbers are a little cryptic sometimes. The original one that I have has "16750" in it, which is a GMT model number.

The one you linked has "1662" in it, which is most of the model number for a Yachti, 16622 or 116622. The Yachti is the only other model that has this 3 pin click ring, but it's not the same as the one used in GMTs. The Yachti retaining ring has 40 scallops not 24 so the oval foot bases on the 3 pins are smaller. If your linked ring is for a Yachti I doubt it would be compatible with a GMT.

I would be inclined to try the aftermarket GMT ring from Ali Express if a gen GMT ring is not available. Alternately the CF ring can be sanded - both the burrs on the bottoms of the pin feet bases, and the inner perimeter of the oval bases where they contact the scallops. Care needs to be taken not the shorten the length too much as that increases play in the bezel.

wmtG4.jpg

wmrCj.jpg

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Alternately the CF ring can be sanded - both the burrs on the bottoms of the pin feet bases, and the inner perimeter of the oval bases where they contact the scallops. Care needs to be taken not the shorten the length too much as that increases play in the bezel.

This may be an option - but the material that Clean uses is in my opinion WAY to flexible and will never give a proper result without backplay.