• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

Luca06150

Horology Curious
24/7/23
France
If you flip the bezel over you will see where the Hytel Ring sits in this groove

When your ready to install the ring start pressing it in and hold it in place with your left thumb, and then use your right thumb moving in a clockwise motion to push the ring into place.

If you did it right it will look like this

Here is a zoomed out picture showing the ring fully seated.

These three parts are the Crystal retainer ring, the washer and click spring.

Place the washer over the retainer until it sits flush against the case

Then install the click spring into the crystal retainer, making sure each of the three points is sitting in the groove and flush against the case.

On the bottom side of the bezel ring there are three small holes, which need to line up with the prongs on the click spring.

You need to eye the prongs to line up with the holes and when it does the bezel can be pressed back on.

I usually don’t press it straight down as this can knock off the Hytel ring, but rather push it down on one of the prongs and slowly press all the way around until it’s seated back on to the crystal retainer.

When it’s installed correctly the bezel will rotate freely as before and should be sitting flush against the case.

Hope that helps
Thank you so much for the answer, it makes everything clearer. I can see where the gasket fits and when I try to put mine in place it looks too big, I think it has deformed,

I'll have to order another bezel gasket for the watch!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you so much for the answer, it makes everything clearer. I can see where the gasket fits and when I try to put mine in place it looks too big, I think it has deformed,

I'll have to order another bezel gasket for the watch!
You can just cut a small section out of the hytrel ring. It does not have to be intact. I routinely use fishline as a gasket replacement and it always has a gap.

zIp6uS.jpg

Luca06150

Horology Curious
24/7/23
France
Super thanks for your answer! But I have several questions,

Won't this cause waterproofing problems with the watch? And I'd also like to know if this bezel gasket fixes it to the watch? Because apparently my problem is that I can't clip the bezel on because of the gasket? Is the gasket the problem, then?

Luca06150

Horology Curious
24/7/23
France
I am using fishline for hytrel rings whenever I have an issue with a rep one. I bought about 12 spools of fishline when I first started doing this, having no idea what diameter would be best. Now I use only 0.56mm, 0.61mm and less frequently 0.64mm. Even then sometimes the fit isn't perfect so I fold over a piece of 400 grit, hold the line in a pin vise and pull the paper down the straightened line to thin it a little.
Then put a thin coat of silicone grease on the line. It works well, no vertical or lateral play once you find the right diameter.

zIp6uS.jpg

Start small and work up to a thicker size if it's too loose. If you force a bezel down with too big a line it won't rotate and it can be very difficult to get it back off. There's always a way but it can get complicated. Think nylon melting point and ovens, Haha.
Is waterproof?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
There is another gasket inside the retaining ring that is supposed to handle waterproofing. However the current batches of both CLEAN 3186 and 3285 cases should not be relied upon to be waterproof anyway.

ZVvlSb.jpg
Current batch of clean gmt (v2 Dandong) are claimed to have updated waterproofness - but not tested as far I know.

gtageek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/23
Los Angeles
You can just cut a small section out of the hytrel ring. It does not have to be intact. I routinely use fishline as a gasket replacement and it always has a gap.

zIp6uS.jpg
just want to reply and thank you for this wonderful fix, finally got my GMT working, it's a little tight but not overly so, I can still turn with one hand. Do the bezels with fishline loosen up slightly with any use? THANK YOU!

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
just want to reply and thank you for this wonderful fix, finally got my GMT working, it's a little tight but not overly so, I can still turn with one hand. Do the bezels with fishline loosen up slightly with any use? THANK YOU!
Maybe a tad over time but don't use your bezel as a fidget spinner trying to accomplish that. You can wear out other bezel parts doing that (ask me how I know, d'oh!).

As unwelcome as it will seem, the best fix is to lightly sand the fishline thinner and/or apply a thin coat of silcone grease to it. Fold over a piece of 320 or 400 grit and pull the line through it a few times, then a light greasing. If starting over, thin a longer piece of line then cut out the right length from a uniformly thinned section. It doesn't have to be perfect and it doesn't take long at all to make it just right.

If you got your bezel on OK with a thicker line it will go back on with a thinner one. But sometimes it's better to just leave well enough alone.

kennycoder

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/9/12
So.. I had it with clean bezel play and I decided to do something about it. After taking a closer look on why it has so much play, you can clearly see that 3 pin spring doesn't extend to fill the cavities on the retaining ring. What I did was simple, took a dremel and extended the holes where 3 pin spring sits. This way it goes slightly "deeper" and stops the play.

So where you see the green marks, is where i extended the holes by maybe 0.5mm. Try to make them as round as possible and apply silicon grease. Voila

Reactions: KJ2020

samsoniteman

Maker of Poor Financial Decisions
Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
So.. I had it with clean bezel play and I decided to do something about it. After taking a closer look on why it has so much play, you can clearly see that 3 pin spring doesn't extend to fill the cavities on the retaining ring. What I did was simple, took a dremel and extended the holes where 3 pin spring sits. This way it goes slightly "deeper" and stops the play.

So where you see the green marks, is where i extended the holes by maybe 0.5mm. Try to make them as round as possible and apply silicon grease. Voila

Great work you arts and crafts skills having MF's! If I tried this I 100% would need to buy a whole new watch afterwards! :ROFLMAO:

mcboom

time & patience - the two most powerful warriors
Supporter
Certified
12/1/23
Thailand
@KJ2020
Does it mean by replacing the CF 3-pin click spring with gen can solve the poor bezel mechanism?
I fixed mine by getting rid of the grease and reshaping the spring (pulling it outward slightly) as suggested..now there is a subtle click when rotated