• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Oh ok just noticed there is a link, do you mean the watch bezel gasket? Does help with not getting the bezel comes out easily?
Your bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is still in its bezel groove but this part from CLEAN is thin and cheap so it often doesn't survive a single removal. FWIW a gen hytrel ring from Rolex is recommended to be replaced after every removal. Of course your old gasket will need to be dug out of the groove before you proceed.

HOkfJ1.jpeg

Aftermarket hytrel rings are hit or miss- they are different sizes, shapes and quality. As often as not they will not work well. It's probably time for you to seek other options.

Using fishline as a hytrel ring

Reactions: engbanna1

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@engbanna1

Don't worry about the difference in holes under the bezel. CLEAN has made different styles in different batches. It has no bearing on your issue. Finding a proper hytrel ring or substitute should fix your issue.

3T9NMo.jpg

The washer being under the retaining ring is not a great thing as it can cause binding but at least it doesn't add upward pressure on the bezel like it would if it was on top of the retaining ring. While you have it apart is a good time to make it fit properly if you are able.

HoAcqY.jpeg

jPfpUL.jpg

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
Your bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is still in its bezel groove but this part from CLEAN is thin and cheap so it often doesn't survive a single removal. FWIW a gen hytrel ring from Rolex is recommended to be replaced after every removal. Of course your old gasket will need to be dug out of the groove before you proceed.

HOkfJ1.jpeg

Aftermarket hytrel rings are hit or miss- they are different sizes, shapes and quality. As often as not they will not work well. It's probably time for you to seek other options.

@KJ2020 Thanks for all the support mate. I am a beginner really and don’t know what fishline is and where to get it from. The photo in the link you provided is not clearly showing it. It would be great if you can please list what materials do I need down to silicone grease if needed. Do I need a special tool to remove the old gasket or it can be easily removed?

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
@engbanna1

Don't worry about the difference in holes under the bezel. CLEAN has made different styles in different batches. It has no bearing on your issue. Finding a proper hytrel ring or substitute should fix your issue.

3T9NMo.jpg

The washer being under the retaining ring is not a great thing as it can cause binding but at least it doesn't add upward pressure on the bezel like it would if it was on top of the retaining ring. While you have it apart is a good time to make it fit properly if you are able.

HoAcqY.jpeg

jPfpUL.jpg
@KJ2020 Thanks a lot for that. My washer is not above the retaining ring nor underneath it. I feel it is a bit wide and loose but not too loose so sanding maybe is not required. When I put a pressure with my finger on one side of the washer when it’s setting on the surface of the base, the other side pops up and I can easily take away. It that normal?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 Thanks for all the support mate. I am a beginner really and don’t know what fishline is and where to get it from. The photo in the link you provided is not clearly showing it. It would be great if you can please list what materials do I need down to silicone grease if needed. Do I need a special tool to remove the old gasket or it can be easily removed?
This particular fishline is neon green. It also comes in other colors - white, clear, etc. Fishline is made to be used in a fishing rod to catch fish. It's properties of strength, low stretchabilty and smoothness are uniquely well suited to its use as a substitute hytrel ring.

HOsX3Q.jpeg

You can get it at Walmart, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, Amazon, etc. Same for a small tube of silicone grease.

A springbar tool or strong needle, small nail etc can be used to get the old hytrel out far enough to pull it with your fingers. Just be careful not to damage or scar up the metal.

You may be better off letting someone with more experience handle this repair for you. It's not uncommon for things to go awry trying to fix a rep bezel issue.

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
This particular fishline is neon green. It also comes in other colors - white, clear, etc. Fishline is made to be used in a fishing rod to catch fish. It's properties of strength, low stretchabilty and smoothness are uniquely well suited to its use as a substitute hytrel ring.

HOsX3Q.jpeg

You can get it at Walmart, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, Amazon, etc. Same for a small tube of silicone grease.

A springbar tool or strong needle, small nail etc can be used to get the old hytrel out far enough to pull it with your fingers. Just be careful not to damage or scar up the metal.

You may be better off letting someone with more experience handle this repair for you. It's not uncommon for things to go awry trying to fix a rep bezel issue.
Thanks again for your endless support @KJ2020 and sorry to ask you again but what fishline size do I need to get (in terms of diameter and with for my sprite VTNR do you have a photo of it by itself?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks again for your endless support @KJ2020 and sorry to ask you again but what fishline size do I need to get (in terms of diameter and with for my sprite VTNR do you have a photo of it by itself?
Read my link again about sizing

I would have on hand 0.4 or 0.45, 0.5, 0.6 and 0.7mm

It's not a one size fits all scenario. Bezels, bezel grooves, and retaining rings vary by model and even by batch. You have to experiment to see which fit is best. Use Monofilament, NOT Braided

There can also be some element of personal preference involved in choosing a level of tightness. Having different diameter lines in hand allows you to modify the result to your liking.

Last edited:

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
Read my link again about sizing

I would have on hand 0.4 or 0.45, 0.5, 0.6 and 0.7mm

It's not a one size fits all scenario. Bezels, bezel grooves, and retaining rings vary by model and even by batch. You have to experiment to see which fit is best. Use Monofilament, NOT Braided

There can also be some element of personal preference involved in choosing a level of tightness. Having different diameter lines in hand allows you to modify the result to your liking.

@KJ2020 thanks heaps for all the support.
Were are you located? I am traveling to Paris, Berlin and Warsaw this weekend and will be taking my CF VTNR with me. I still haven’t worked on the bezel issues and would prefer to give it to an expert like you. I really want to fix the watch so can you recommend any watchsmiths in any of the aforementioned cities? Thanks again

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 thanks heaps for all the support.
Were are you located? I am traveling to Paris, Berlin and Warsaw this weekend and will be taking my CF VTNR with me. I still haven’t worked on the bezel issues and would prefer to give it to an expert like you. I really want to fix the watch so can you recommend any watchsmiths in any of the aforementioned cities? Thanks again
I am in US bro. Ask in the German sub forum here, I'm sure there are some but IDK where. @Harleysta91 comes to mind.

Reactions: Harleysta91

Harleysta91

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
7/9/16
Vercelli (VC) Italy
I PMed the guy but no response. He is based in Italy not Germany. Couldn’t find the german forum from the search tool.
sorry for the late replies but I'm always with my head on the desk, between rep and gen it's difficult to always be on the computer, also I have a Jurassic computer that has difficulty connecting and refreshing the pages, I saw the PMs and I reply immediately.
Thank you

Reactions: engbanna1