• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

Watchfan12b

Known Member
1/7/23
Bulgaria
Hi guys, I wanted to ask you is it possible to fit an original gmt bezel on the latest clean factory rootbeer and will I need something else or I can just buy the bezel and slap it on the watch 😁😁😁

• Wow
Reactions: mcboom

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
Hi guys, I wanted to ask you is it possible to fit an original gmt bezel on the latest clean factory rootbeer and will I need something else or I can just buy the bezel and slap it on the watch 😁😁😁
I think all CF’s GMT parts are exchangeable with genuine parts.

Reactions: Watchfan12b

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You should become more familiar with how Rolex and rep bezels are constructed, disassembled, and reassembled. While a CLEAN case will take a gen bezel, there are several other parts to a complete bezel assembly and sometimes the rep parts need to be replaced or tweaked for any replacement bezel to work acceptably well.

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

Last edited:

Watchfan12b

Known Member
1/7/23
Bulgaria
You should become more familiar with how Rolex and rep bezels are constructed, disassembled, and reassembled. While a CLEAN case will take a gen bezel, there are several other parts to a complete bezel assembly and sometimes the rep parts need to be replaced or tweaked for any replacement bezel to work acceptably well.

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap
Thank you very much for the answer. iI will check everything that you have sent me. Also the main part that I want to change is actually the bezel base the part that is gold plated, so that I can know that I don’t have to worry about fading.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you very much for the answer. iI will check everything that you have sent me. Also the main part that I want to change is actually the bezel base the part that is gold plated, so that I can know that I don’t have to worry about fading.
If you treat it with care the rep plating should last several years. I have some more than 3 years old that still look new.

16850705364182.jpg

16378897378400.jpg

15805842731425.jpg

Repost from another thread:

A brand new "gold" (plated) Rolex rep is a beauty to behold. If you want to keep it looking great, here are some tips.

Don't wear it while sweating
Don't wear it in high humidity
Don't swim with it - in fact don't get it wet
Don't get it dirty
Wipe it down after every use. I use Zeiss lens cleaner (non-alcoholic) and a Zeiss lens cloth (smoother than micro fiber)
Store it in a closed box away from the bathroom shower
Keep multiple packets of desiccant in the storage box. I have about a dozen packets in a box with 6 "gold" reps

And if you want go keep your beauty scratch free, put some protective film at least on the clasp and a couple links either side. I just cut up leftover cell phone screen film but you can buy ready made kits.

i9vJ3.jpg

WHTdL.jpg

WHPIQ.jpg

WHCZS.jpg

WHluW.jpg

WHBhJ.jpg

Otherwise your beauty can end up like this
oxwJb.jpg

Cheers

• Love

Watchfan12b

Known Member
1/7/23
Bulgaria
If you treat it with care the rep plating should last several years. I have some more than 3 years old that still look new.

16850705364182.jpg

16378897378400.jpg

15805842731425.jpg

Repost from another thread:

A brand new "gold" (plated) Rolex rep is a beauty to behold. If you want to keep it looking great, here are some tips.

Don't wear it while sweating
Don't wear it in high humidity
Don't swim with it - in fact don't get it wet
Don't get it dirty
Wipe it down after every use. I use Zeiss lens cleaner (non-alcoholic) and a Zeiss lens cloth (smoother than micro fiber)
Store it in a closed box away from the bathroom shower
Keep multiple packets of desiccant in the storage box. I have about a dozen packets in a box with 6 "gold" reps

And if you want go keep your beauty scratch free, put some protective film at least on the clasp and a couple links either side. I just cut up leftover cell phone screen film but you can buy ready made kits.

i9vJ3.jpg

WHTdL.jpg

WHPIQ.jpg

WHCZS.jpg

WHluW.jpg

WHBhJ.jpg

Otherwise your beauty can end up like this
oxwJb.jpg

Cheers
Thank you very much for the information!

Reactions: KJ2020

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
First of all, thank you guys for all the information, it really does help the rest of us out, when we don't have to go in blindly :)

So i got a v2 a couple of days ago. The watch is stunning! I have a gen batgirl, and i can honestly say, this is visually one of the best OTB reps ive ever seen. The case, bracelet and clasp is perfect. So is the bezel visually. The hands are very nice, and really well finished, but they of course lack the luxury look af gen white gold hands. The dial is perfect, but again, hourmarkers lack the white gold shimmer :) So overall, amazing rep.

The crystal is not bad, but i do need a gen crystal on ALL my reps :) And it gave me a chance to take everything apart to clean up the bezel.

It is still covered in gray goo, and it is pretty nasty. I've cleaned everything, and put it back together. The bezel felt horrible. So i went back in, took everything apart again, sanded and polished every single part for rough edges etc. Applied the tips and tricks you guys suggested in this tread, and the final result was a bezel that would turn with 0 play, a click to it, but also rough. Nothing like the gen. I went back in and applied a bit of silicone grease like @KJ2020 surgested, and it made a bit of difference. Is it like gen, no, not even close. And honestly, i don't think you will get there with these parts. But it is good enough for now.

The crystal: a gen gasket will have the crystal to low, actually to a point where it would touch the second hand, and stop the movement. (I tried 4 different gaskets, gmt and sub, same result) The rep gasket is to high, and will cause over magnification, and the crystal to sit to high. So i carefully sanded down the rep gasket until i reached a satisfying result. (Constantly comparing with the gen gasket)

Pretty happy with the end result. If this is a keeper in a couple of months, i would probably do gen hands :) (Btw, this movement feels freaking amazing)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
First of all, thank you guys for all the information, it really does help the rest of us out, when we don't have to go in blindly :)

So i got a v2 a couple of days ago. The watch is stunning! I have a gen batgirl, and i can honestly say, this is visually one of the best OTB reps ive ever seen. The case, bracelet and clasp is perfect. So is the bezel visually. The hands are very nice, and really well finished, but they of course lack the luxury look af gen white gold hands. The dial is perfect, but again, hourmarkers lack the white gold shimmer :) So overall, amazing rep.

The crystal is not bad, but i do need a gen crystal on ALL my reps :) And it gave me a chance to take everything apart to clean up the bezel.

It is still covered in gray goo, and it is pretty nasty. I've cleaned everything, and put it back together. The bezel felt horrible. So i went back in, took everything apart again, sanded and polished every single part for rough edges etc. Applied the tips and tricks you guys suggested in this tread, and the final result was a bezel that would turn with 0 play, a click to it, but also rough. Nothing like the gen. I went back in and applied a bit of silicone grease like @KJ2020 surgested, and it made a bit of difference. Is it like gen, no, not even close. And honestly, i don't think you will get there with these parts. But it is good enough for now.

The crystal: a gen gasket will have the crystal to low, actually to a point where it would touch the second hand, and stop the movement. (I tried 4 different gaskets, gmt and sub, same result) The rep gasket is to high, and will cause over magnification, and the crystal to sit to high. So i carefully sanded down the rep gasket until i reached a satisfying result. (Constantly comparing with the gen gasket)

Pretty happy with the end result. If this is a keeper in a couple of months, i would probably do gen hands :) (Btw, this movement feels freaking amazing)

Beautiful work bro, the gen crystal looks fabulous.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
@KJ2020 i just had a quick moment of doubt:) The backside of the click spring, the part thats riding on the tension ring, is supposed to be 100% flat right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 i just had a quick moment of doubt:) The backside of the click spring, the part thats riding on the tension ring, is supposed to be 100% flat right?

Yes it is. I've sanded those down, just lay it on a piece of 400 - 600 grit sandpaper flat on your bench and press the pin down gently while rubbing it around. Be care not to abrade away the spring material that attaches the oval pin bases, it's pretty thin on the rep or aftermarket parts.

Here's a new gen I got for a CF Batman. You can see how much better they are constructed - 3 little spot welds for the pins.

H1WBEs.jpeg

H1W9mt.jpeg

H1WnP2.jpeg

H1W6SE.jpeg

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thanks @KJ2020, i took everything apart again today. Went over everything once again, put in new hyttle ring, but its never going to be good :) The issue is the click spring. so next step is a gen, lets see if that solves the issue :)

The crystal is ridiculously high from the factory, so I did a retake on the crystal gasket, it need to be shaved down alot for a gen crystal to sit correct. Here is a pic of how the crystal sits correct (Compared it to my gen)

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
Yes it is. I've sanded those down, just lay it on a piece of 400 - 600 grit sandpaper flat on your bench and press the pin down gently while rubbing it around. Be care not to abrade away the spring material that attaches the oval pin bases, it's pretty thin on the rep or aftermarket parts.

Here's a new gen I got for a CF Batman. You can see how much better they are constructed - 3 little spot welds for the pins.

H1WBEs.jpeg

H1W9mt.jpeg

H1WnP2.jpeg

H1W6SE.jpeg
How much did it cost to get a gen click spring? What will be the total cost if I am to get GMT gens for the following parts:
- hytrel ring
- click spring
- tension ring
- flat washer
- crystal
- crystal gasket

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
How much did it cost to get a gen click spring? What will be the total cost if I am to get GMT gens for the following parts:
- hytrel ring
- click spring
- tension ring
- flat washer
- crystal
- crystal gasket
Bro you have to do your own shopping around. Prices vary a lot depending on rarity, condition, vendor posture, etc.

engbanna1

29/5/23
KSA
Great information to help with my sloppy bezel, Thank you.

After a while I acquired a GMT Master as mentioned, this time (haha, as always I intend to do so) I'm keeping it for a really long time ;)

So I figured I could use some of the knowledge I learned from this thread to fix the only feature on the watch that bothers me, the bezel action.

I was hoping for more from the new GMT Master, but apparently CLEAN gave a damn about improving the bezel action.

I noticed that in the pictures from the 1st post, the surfaces of the spring are much flatter than the newly installed one, so a certain upgrade was made. But that's no use if they smear the shit full of fat. So here's what you can do now.

1. Disassembly of the bezel - insert stays in. A quetip is then used to remove as much fat as possible on the underside of the bezel. If there are still a few leftovers, it doesn't matter.

2. The spring itself must be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. It took me 2 passes.

3. The bezel tention ring is still on the inside with a radius that is too small and stands up on one side. The radius must be increased here with sandpaper so that it lies 100% flat

4. I then cleaned the tension ring and the spring from the remaining grease residue with petrol, and then freed it from the remaining petrol with alcohol, and then blew it dry.

5. The depressions where the spring engages must also be completely cleaned of grease with a Quetip, rubber brush, kitchen paper, microfibre, whatever, so that nice clicking noises can occur and not a dull noise when metal meets grease.

6. In addition, the spring on the wires where there is no pin (i.e. at all 3 positions) must be pulled / stretched 1-2mm outwards so that the pins together with the plates generate more tension inwards (this also supports the "click direction gen ".

Then put everything back together and you're done.

It is important that you pry it off carefully (the Hyrtel ring can be damaged and the bezel can then no longer be securely attached). There is the famous fishing line solution from @KJ2020 or with some TDs a CLEAN FACTORY hyrtel RING (aftermarket does not fit 100%, only to a limited extent) but it costs a whopping 28 USD.

Here are some pictures, then below a link to a video BEFORE and after.

I will probably not even use the AliExpress spring I ordered, I am absolutely satisfied. Another NWBIG has arrived :)

BEFORE: (Activate Sound)

AFTER: (Activate Sound)

I am still confused between the hytrel ring and the other parts. Is first pic shows the hytrel ring? And 2nd the flat washer?

purple_slurp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
17/9/23
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Those who follow me a little know that I do reviews from time to time or that I take photos of a build from time to time.
This time it's different and I still hope that I can entertain some people here.
In the best case scenario, I can even help with your problem if you have the same.

I ordered a CLEAN Factory GMT Master 2 BLRO "Pepsi" knowing that the bezel is known for its poor construction.

I wanted to use this directly to get some practice :)

Image 1:
Of course you don't see that the bezel has backplay. This about 4-6mm, so already enormous. In addition, it can only be turned very softly without clicking the GEN (yes, non-Submariners also click - just different) and is not aligned with the triangle at 12 o'clock.

Image 2 and Image 3:
After removing the bezel you can see why it doesn't click: Clean just smeared the whole shit full of grease. What is also noticeable is that the spring is a little too big and made of rather soft material, hence the backplay: it is simply too flexible. They really smeared loads of that grease in there. The CLEAN structure only works like this - nothing turns at all without grease - unlike other factories such as ARF, where the entire structure fits in such a way that no grease is needed (as I been told).

Picture 4:
Here you can see the structure of the bezel after I have cleaned about 30-40% of the grease.

Picture 5 and 6:
As mentioned, the whole bezel was still misaligned, so I had to use a carpet knife to remove the inlay and remove the adhesive in order to put it back in correctly after installing the new spring.

Picture 7:
Here you can see 38mm adhesive rings for bezel inlays - thanks to Aliexpress :)

Picture 8:
Here you can see the two bezel springs: below the uncleaned CLEAN spring and above the GEN spring from Rolex.

Picture 9:
After removing 30-40% of the grease on the washer under the bezel, I clamped the GEN spring, which moves perfect and has no play / flex.

Picture 10:
I then pressed on the bezel and glued in the bezel inlay using an adhesive ring, here you can see the result.
It was fun and the result is stunning. Clicks like GEN, and I was able to practice building the case a little right away.
I hope you had fun with the pictures :)

Lot of greetings from Switzerland
Looked like it was a fun little project. Thanks for sharing!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
So i got the Aliexpress click spring today, and guys, save your money, its absolute garbage, thin and flimsy. The CF one that came with my watch is actually better quality. That 50 bucks down the drain :(

CF on the left AE on the right

• Wow