• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

Minome

Supporter
Certified
19/3/23
United Kingdom
Hope that you can be the lucky one. I followed what others suggested and it has a beautifull Swoop sound now.
Had more lube in there than the Blue Oyster Bar on a friday night.

• Haha
Reactions: derjenigewelcher

dreptroman

Patron
Certified
6/2/23
Engravia
The debate kind of came to a stop.

hood news is that sub007 has some gen springs in stock :))

Now let’s see how that will click.

did anybody mix the gen spring with CF crystal holder? is it still gen like?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
The debate kind of came to a stop.

hood news is that sub007 has some gen springs in stock :))

Now let’s see how that will click.

did anybody mix the gen spring with CF crystal holder? is it still gen like?
I dont exactly know what you mean with a crystal holder?

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Save your money, the Ali click spring is pure garbage
Whats the alt. when the CF has broke down then? It hold up for 2 weeks on my v3. I mean gen is like over 200 excl install or shipping. Thats like the half the price of decent rep

dreptroman

Patron
Certified
6/2/23
Engravia
I dont exactly know what you mean with a crystal holder?
the wavy circle that the spring clicks into. Looking a t older pics, the shape of the hollow part was different than gen and than the current v3 (which still doesn’t click like gen).

Yes it is 200, but I have seen the entire package go up to 500 which is crazy. For frankening purposes seems important.

can anybody compare v1 vs v3 spring and crystal holder?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
the wavy circle that the spring clicks into. Looking a t older pics, the shape of the hollow part was different than gen and than the current v3 (which still doesn’t click like gen).

Yes it is 200, but I have seen the entire package go up to 500 which is crazy. For frankening purposes seems important.

i csnt help here

Daniel_AUT

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/1/24
Hi Guys

Those who follow me a little know that I do reviews from time to time or that I take photos of a build from time to time.
This time it's different and I still hope that I can entertain some people here.
In the best case scenario, I can even help with your problem if you have the same.

I ordered a CLEAN Factory GMT Master 2 BLRO "Pepsi" knowing that the bezel is known for its poor construction.

I wanted to use this directly to get some practice :)

Image 1:
Of course you don't see that the bezel has backplay. This about 4-6mm, so already enormous. In addition, it can only be turned very softly without clicking the GEN (yes, non-Submariners also click - just different) and is not aligned with the triangle at 12 o'clock.

Image 2 and Image 3:
After removing the bezel you can see why it doesn't click: Clean just smeared the whole shit full of grease. What is also noticeable is that the spring is a little too big and made of rather soft material, hence the backplay: it is simply too flexible. They really smeared loads of that grease in there. The CLEAN structure only works like this - nothing turns at all without grease - unlike other factories such as ARF, where the entire structure fits in such a way that no grease is needed (as I been told).

Picture 4:
Here you can see the structure of the bezel after I have cleaned about 30-40% of the grease.

Picture 5 and 6:
As mentioned, the whole bezel was still misaligned, so I had to use a carpet knife to remove the inlay and remove the adhesive in order to put it back in correctly after installing the new spring.

Picture 7:
Here you can see 38mm adhesive rings for bezel inlays - thanks to Aliexpress :)

Picture 8:
Here you can see the two bezel springs: below the uncleaned CLEAN spring and above the GEN spring from Rolex.

Picture 9:
After removing 30-40% of the grease on the washer under the bezel, I clamped the GEN spring, which moves perfect and has no play / flex.

Picture 10:
I then pressed on the bezel and glued in the bezel inlay using an adhesive ring, here you can see the result.
It was fun and the result is stunning. Clicks like GEN, and I was able to practice building the case a little right away.
I hope you had fun with the pictures :)

Lot of greetings from Switzerland
Hello ! great info!! Can you also install a GEN ring in a C+ factory or only in a clean factory? How do you take the bezel off without breaking anything?

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
I’ve installed a spring on a clean GMT with clean gasket and the feel is not proper proper gen, but very close, probably not even noticeable if you don’t compare it or try a gen

you mean the crystal retaining ring? I’ve used a gen spring with a clean retaining ring and the feel is very close to gen, maybe I’ve noticed the difference because I had gen to compare with

SubNot

Supporter
Certified
17/5/19
EU
Sorry my messages got mixed up with a pasted one, anyways I guess you get my point

dreptroman

Patron
Certified
6/2/23
Engravia
I’ve installed a spring on a clean GMT with clean gasket and the feel is not proper proper gen, but very close, probably not even noticeable if you don’t compare it or try a gen

you mean the crystal retaining ring? I’ve used a gen spring with a clean retaining ring and the feel is very close to gen, maybe I’ve noticed the difference because I had gen to compare with
yes, crystal retaining ring :)) was curious about a side by side comparison to see the differences

Fabulously

Supporter
Certified
13/11/17
Lalaland
The CLEAN hytrel ring has a stairstep outer profile. The larger diameter "step" goes UP in the bezel groove, toward the insert.

Hzejkb.jpeg
Quick and potentially stupid question: is this the same on 116610 or 114060 Subs?