• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Yeah all gen. Tried it with the rep and had same issue. I have a feeling it’s an issue with the click spring but can’t think what?
Some silicone grease in the scallops?
Maybe the hyrtel eing got really squeezed and disturbes the bezel motion?

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yeah all gen. Tried it with the rep and had same issue. I have a feeling it’s an issue with the click spring but can’t think what?
First check that the retaining ring is fully seated to the case all the way around.

Then try seating the bezel without using the bezel tension spring (large washer). Some reps don't even use those and it may be that you have too much upward pressure.

Next I would suspect the bezel gasket, especially if it wasn't new when you bought it. Those are supposed to be one use only, then replaced.

You can carefully remove the bezel gasket then install all the other parts. If rotation is normal, the gasket may be bad or it may be that a gen gasket is too thick or tall to work well on your particular case and parts. Or maybe the gasket was turned upside down by someone. There are other options for dealing with bezel gaskets but first see if that is the issue.

Reactions: Danza1813

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Those are supposed to be one use only, then replaced

Fun-fact is: Since I did this mod tons of times now on CLEAN watches, i seem to manage to do this to "perfection" and can use those gaskets for at least 3 times. At beginning they are SO SURROUNDED OF THIS UGLY CLEAN GREASE that its a little secured from small physical impacts.:ROFLMAO:

There are other options for dealing with bezel gaskets but first see if that is the issue.

Useing fishing line as bezel gasket

sangartekbal

Do not accept unsolicited offers
30/12/23
UPDATED quick and easy tutorial at the bottom of this first post, may 1, 2024.

NO SPARE PARTS / GEN PARTS NEEDED
hi, thank you for the guide I already follow your steps, i still dont get it in the new tutorial no 3, what is the best way to pull out the ring to increase the tension without bending the trigonal spring? because I tried to pull it out inside the bezel ring but maybe it doesnt budge at all (it might move like 1 or half mm and it contract back to the original position, already clean all the lithium grease with degreaser and applying some silicone grease as necessary,

now everything installed it fells rougher and coarse and I still have the backplay, so I added more silicone grease to the scallops and it is not as coarse as the first one but still have some backplay

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
hi, thank you for the guide I already follow your steps, i still dont get it in the new tutorial no 3, what is the best way to pull out the ring to increase the tension without bending the trigonal spring? because I tried to pull it out inside the bezel ring but maybe it doesnt budge at all (it might move like 1 or half mm and it contract back to the original position, already clean all the lithium grease with degreaser and applying some silicone grease as necessary,

now everything installed it fells rougher and coarse and I still have the backplay, so I added more silicone grease to the scallops and it is not as coarse as the first one but still have some backplay
You can just increase the bend in the spring by gently compressing it between thumb and forefinger. Don't worry about over-bending because the underside bezel walls will only allow it to extend so much. Just make sure you don't put a crease in it.

H5f8dt.gif

This can really help improve a bezel's tightness.

Discovery credit to @derjenigewelcher

Last edited:

JohnStamos99

28/4/24
What an excellent tutorial, this really helps alot for me as a newbie.

I read this thread multiple times and just wanted so see if someone could clarify. I plan on updating the parts for the bezel assembly vs method two of just cleaning it up.

I found a GEN clickspring on ebay. Is it worth buying for $200? The one I found was for a 16710... will this still fit (I've been getting conflicting answers)

If this GEN clickspring won't work are the ALIEXPRESS ones any good? Saw on the thread that a few people said it was an improvement and saw some that said it is trash and to use the CF one. Wanted to see if there were any other options

Tracking the issues with they Hytrel Ring if it gets crushed or warped. Is it worth getting a hytrel ring from aliexpress or just go with the fishing wire? I'm leaning towards fishing wire or nylon string....

Lastly I'm tracking that most had success with a .60mm - .66mm fishing line? Is this the general consensus?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to posting my results

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

I read this thread multiple times and just wanted so see if someone could clarify. I plan on updating the parts for the bezel assembly vs method two of just cleaning it up.

I found a GEN clickspring on ebay. Is it worth buying for $200? The one I found was for a 16710... will this still fit (I've been getting conflicting answers)

If this GEN clickspring won't work are the ALIEXPRESS ones any good? Saw on the thread that a few people said it was an improvement and saw some that said it is trash and to use the CF one. Wanted to see if there were any other options

Tracking the issues with they Hytrel Ring if it gets crushed or warped. Is it worth getting a hytrel ring from aliexpress or just go with the fishing wire? I'm leaning towards fishing wire or nylon string....

Lastly I'm tracking that most had success with a .60mm - .66mm fishing line? Is this the general consensus?

Hello mate

I am glad you like the "two" tutorials.
I for myself would never ever buy again a GEN clickspring, not even for 20 USD. Thats just because with stretching the factory one the result you can get is the same with the genuine one. GEN would technically work, as also the aliexpress one does. But also: not worth it.
Remove bezel as if your life would depend on it, then it usually works without breaking the hyrtel ring :D
First time the grease vom CLEAN kind of secures the hyrtel from getting damaged to easy:) No, not worth getting a hyrtel ring from ali, it wont fit perfect anyway. and the CLEAN one is 18 usd. go for fishing line:)

Buy a thick enough and thin it out with sandpaper, but not sure which thickness is perfect to start with.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

$200 for a gen clickspring is ridiculous. I paid like $70 for a used one from fierygems on Ebay.

The 16710 does not use a 3 pin clickspring, the bezel and components are totally different and not interchangeable. Many sellers make incorrect claims about what models their parts fit.

A gen 6 digit clickspring is a much better quality part. Alone it may not be complete solution. Try bending the rep one first and do all the other recommended fixes. If you still need improvement a gen clickspring makes sense.

You can read what I do with hytrel rings in the post below

Last edited:

sangartekbal

30/12/23
You can just increase the bend in the spring by gently compressing it between thumb and forefinger. Don't worry about over-bending because the underside bezel walls will only allow it to extend so much. Just make sure you don't put a crease in it.

H5f8dt.gif

This can really help improve a bezel's tightness.

Discovery credit to @derjenigewelcher
Woaa thank you so much for the video (gif) makes everything so clear, this is scary but I will try it anyway

FaceOculta

15/4/24
Hi guys.
I have a Clean batgirl, from 2023. i could not click the bezel anymore and ordered a new spring from aliexpress. I now tried everything and can not get it to click again.. could someone give me some help? would be amazing! thanks.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hi guys.
I have a Clean batgirl, from 2023. i could not click the bezel anymore and ordered a new spring from aliexpress. I now tried everything and can not get it to click again.. could someone give me some help? would be amazing! thanks.
You could read this thread with tons of information. By telling "not click again" you mean it does not move? Or it swooshes around?

Edit: bring it to a local watchmaker.

FaceOculta

15/4/24
I live in Switzerland. I think the watchmakers here dont work with that kind of stuff.

Its just like i cant move it, its just inserted and does not move anymore.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I'm probably too stupid for that but what exactly do you mean by that? So the Bezel Play is also fixed?
No. Bezel play is fixed by stretching the spring. Remove the whole CLEAN FACTORY grease cause its rubbish and way to much. And with no grease, that construction from CLEAN dont works, so needs few dots of grease