• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

MoonshineM

Getting To Know The Place
10/11/23
Mine wasn't bad, just a bit mushy with 3-4 hr range that didn't have any sound whatsoever. Other than that, no backplay or anything
Figured I'd have a look - cleaned everything, used watchmaker silicone sparingly, put it all back together - could barely move the bezel. Stuck/gritty etc like the posts above - required way too much force to move.
Hytrel ring looks fine, applied more silicone grease. Slightly better, but still bad.
Eventually remembered that silicone makes for poor metal to metal lubricant due to almost nonexistent viscosity. I had victorinox multitool oil laying around (food safe. In case someone decides to lick that batman or something), used that on the scallops and spring pins - TBD how that plays out longterm, but much, much, much better right now. Good clicks, solid bezel action.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Mine wasn't bad, just a bit mushy with 3-4 hr range that didn't have any sound whatsoever. Other than that, no backplay or anything
Figured I'd have a look - cleaned everything, used watchmaker silicone sparingly, put it all back together - could barely move the bezel. Stuck/gritty etc like the posts above - required way too much force to move.
Hytrel ring looks fine, applied more silicone grease. Slightly better, but still bad.
Eventually remembered that silicone makes for poor metal to metal lubricant due to almost nonexistent viscosity. I had victorinox multitool oil laying around (food safe. In case someone decides to lick that batman or something), used that on the scallops and spring pins - TBD how that plays out longterm, but much, much, much better right now. Good clicks, solid bezel action.
I dont know that victorinox oil, but when its viscosity is to low, you may collect dust and dirt during time and bezel action will stuck. when you have enough grease put on, it can be different parts: as you mentioned, hyrtel ring, which is very tricky even under microscope to see if its fit in the correct side, or the washer is a few microns off after removeing bezel (from factory its not thin enough, must b e filed down from thhe inside cause the radius is to small to fit on the case proper flat). but if it works for now leave it. when it does not work one day, i would keep that in mind:)

Reactions: MoonshineM

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
I dont know that victorinox oil, but when its viscosity is to low, you may collect dust and dirt during time and bezel action will stuck. when you have enough grease put on, it can be different parts: as you mentioned, hyrtel ring, which is very tricky even under microscope to see if its fit in the correct side, or the washer is a few microns off after removeing bezel (from factory its not thin enough, must b e filed down from thhe inside cause the radius is to small to fit on the case proper flat). but if it works for now leave it. when it does not work one day, i would keep that in mind:)
Hasn't the washer been improved to sit flat on the case in the latest batches of the CF GMT's?

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Great tutorial mate!

Still, for someone who's never done this before, it feels a bit tricky.

Whenever you have the time, would you be willing to make a video tutorial which we could follow?

Thanks for all the work you put in!

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Still can't edit my replies >.<

Anyway, I found this video which shows how it's done! Seems pretty easy :)

How would you advise to clean the grease put on by Clean and what grease should I replace it with?

Thanks <3

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
I had the same issue after cleaning it. Fixed it by adding a bit of Wahl clipper oil, which I had laying around for my beard trimmer.

It's not as smooth as my gen, but it's definitely a LOT smoother than it was before.

I honestly don't know why Clean doesn't just adapt VSF's system, which is arguably better than gen even and thus doesn't require any maintanence. That said, I don't know why people bother with Clean to begin with. I like my VSF much better; sure a smaller power reserve, but who cares.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
I’m very pleased with the V3 CF. I’ve been wearing it for 2 days now and it’s an eye- catcher. I’ll be taking my time and piecing it together with some gen parts, but I’m in no rush.

kino0924

20/12/23
@derjenigewelcher , @KJ2020

Do you know where I can purchase 6448A 3M sticker for the bezel?
I tried most of aliexpress store and they all sell #613 sticker.

#613 works too but I think its bit thick and I am thinking maybe 3M 6448A is much thinner.

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
True. But isn't the wobble when you set the hour also in the slightly older gen gmts? Clean's date font is also too chunky.
Isn't a font problem it's the date mag problem which can be resolved with a gasket

Don't know how people can reccomend the GSC/VSF even for these GMTs, the ARF is a better alternative anyways

Reactions: xZeroCoolx

kino0924

20/12/23
If you want the thinnest possible use GS Hypo or B7000.

You are right but since I do not trust my finger, Im considering double sided tape.
I believe 6448A is the thinnest one but please tell me if Im wrong ;)