• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@derjenigewelcher , @KJ2020

Do you know where I can purchase 6448A 3M sticker for the bezel?
I tried most of aliexpress store and they all sell #613 sticker.

#613 works too but I think its bit thick and I am thinking maybe 3M 6448A is much thinner.
10 pack

Reactions: kino0924

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Isn't a font problem it's the date mag problem which can be resolved with a gasket

Don't know how people can reccomend the GSC/VSF even for these GMTs, the ARF is a better alternative anyways
I'm sorry, but (I think) you're wrong.

I saw the date wheel outside of the watch and the font is thicker/darker.

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24

Plus, vsf have great crystal, great bezel action and very good movement.

I don’t know about arf though. They’re starting to gain popularity but I don’t have that much info on them yet.

Clean is a pass for me because I can tell it’s a fake from a distance; that chunky date is just too blatant.

• Haha
Reactions: Reaps

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22

🤷‍♂️

Who knows maybe I am wrong but

Reaps

25/9/22

I think you overblow this bold date issue, props to you if you can spot a 0.001mm thickness increase from 10 feet away on someone's wrist.

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24

🤷‍♂️

Who knows maybe I am wrong but
I have a gen pepsi and clean lefty in front of me and the difference is quite massive.

In this picture you can see that the difference is already quite huge without gasket and the bad crystal. Now add those on top of that and behold the clean chunky monkey.

The ONLY good thing about Clean's watches is the DD movement, imo.

Reactions: tdx18

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24

I think you overblow this bold date issue, props to you if you can spot a 0.001mm thickness increase from 10 feet away on someone's wrist.
The only overblown thing is the date font (as you can see in the image above0. But hey, if it doesn't bother you, I don't see a problem. Enjoy it! For me, it's just too big of a tell to even consider wearing. :)

Reaps

25/9/22
I have a gen pepsi and clean lefty in front of me and the difference is quite massive.

In this picture you can see that the difference is already quite huge without gasket and the bad crystal. Now add those on top of that and behold the clean chunky monkey.

The ONLY good thing about Clean's watches is the DD movement, imo.
I've seen multiple people fix this "mag date" issue with a crystal gasket, so I don't know. I have also compared my Deep crystal swap + gasket changed with gen with a friend and there was no perceptible difference functionally. Maybe if you smack both together up to your eyes.

But as with the replica game, everyone has opinions and everyone focuses on different things, cheers

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
I've seen multiple people fix this "mag date" issue with a crystal gasket, so I don't know. I have also compared my Deep crystal swap + gasket changed with gen with a friend and there was no perceptible difference functionally. Maybe if you smack both together up to your eyes.

But as with the replica game, everyone has opinions and everyone focuses on different things, cheers
True that. But just look at the picture I posted and decide for yourself.

Anyhow, for me, the watch has to be identical (or close to it) from the outside. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the movement. As long as it's reliable, I don't care about how it looks.

Jossé

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
13/8/23
The fjords
The only overblown thing is the date font (as you can see in the image above0. But hey, if it doesn't bother you, I don't see a problem. Enjoy it! For me, it's just too big of a tell to even consider wearing. :)
Dare I ask which replicas actually live up to your standards? 😅

Morg77

Getting To Know The Place
1/2/21
Date over magnified issued on clean also happened in new ARF gmt with updated movement Sh3285 with 72 hours power reserve.. I manage to fix my clean pepsi and new arf bruce Wayne with my watch maker. It's because the gasket problem too tall. But when we change to clarks gasket 2,5 it have perfect magnification like my Gen batgirl, and then new problem come, the top pinion of second hand touch the crystal and make it stuck. So my watch maker have to open the whole movement and adjust the pinion to sit lower 0,5mm, at first we plan to cut it little bit, but he manage to adjust to make it sit lower without cutting it. He said he do that many time to gen omega speedy reduce tajt have common problem. And now its perfect. I uses deep crystal v2 on my Bruce Wayne and vsf crystal on pepsi.

hehFTj.jpeg

hehG04.jpeg

0ffcamber

Getting To Know The Place
4/6/23
U.S.A.
@derjenigewelcher , @KJ2020

Do you know where I can purchase 6448A 3M sticker for the bezel?
I tried most of aliexpress store and they all sell #613 sticker.

#613 works too but I think its bit thick and I am thinking maybe 3M 6448A is much thinner.
This is what I use:

Reactions: kino0924

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Dare I ask which replicas actually live up to your standards? 😅
I already said which: VSF.

I don't know much about ARF yet, but they look much better than Clean and the bezel action is probably a lot better too,.

Reactions: Jossé

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24
Date over magnified issued on clean also happened in new ARF gmt with updated movement Sh3285 with 72 hours power reserve.. I manage to fix my clean pepsi and new arf bruce Wayne with my watch maker. It's because the gasket problem too tall. But when we change to clarks gasket 2,5 it have perfect magnification like my Gen batgirl, and then new problem come, the top pinion of second hand touch the crystal and make it stuck. So my watch maker have to open the whole movement and adjust the pinion to sit lower 0,5mm, at first we plan to cut it little bit, but he manage to adjust to make it sit lower without cutting it. He said he do that many time to gen omega speedy reduce tajt have common problem. And now its perfect. I uses deep crystal v2 on my Bruce Wayne and vsf crystal on pepsi.

hehFTj.jpeg

hehG04.jpeg
Damn, this sounds like a lot of work. What did it cost you?

Isn't it just better to get VSF ones? Shame that ARF also has the date issue.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Befor Clean came up with that model, ARF where the best on the market known for Batman, and VRF for Pepsi.

duderino

Known Member
11/6/24

hehFTj.jpeg

hehG04.jpeg
I don't understand something though. If changing the gasket will cause the crystal to hit the hands, how come changing the gasket does work with deep crystal? Is that crystal thinner?

DD3285 is made by peacock, right? Imagine if peacock would change the font and clean would just make deep the standard. You'd have an almost perfect gmt!

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I don't understand something though. If changing the gasket will cause the crystal to hit the hands, how come changing the gasket does work with deep crystal? Is that crystal thinner?

DD3285 is made by peacock, right? Imagine if peacock would change the font and clean would just make deep the standard. You'd have an almost perfect gmt!
Imagine then everyone would buy this version and be happy with it for 10 years and clean has to close factory cause lack of customers.
Its like every business: be good, maybe be best. But not so good that customers dont need you.;)

Reactions: Morg77 and Jossé

processengr

Respected Member
16/9/15
Hi all! I received a "basket case" CF GMTll BLRO with the bezel off, insert cracked couple of hytrel gaskets, 2 click springs, etc...
Does anyone have a link to something like an exploded veiw of the bezel assembly? A Google search and ChatGPT search did not pull up a usable image of one. The picures on here are quite good, but an assembly"view" would be useful at least to me to try to reassemble if not improve...my friend gave uop trying to get ity back together after the insert cracked... @KJ2020 ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi all! I received a "basket case" CF GMTll BLRO with the bezel off, insert cracked couple of hytrel gaskets, 2 click springs, etc...
Does anyone have a link to something like an exploded veiw of the bezel assembly? A Google search and ChatGPT search did not pull up a usable image of one. The picures on here are quite good, but an assembly"view" would be useful at least to me to try to reassemble if not improve...my friend gave uop trying to get ity back together after the insert cracked... @KJ2020 ?
The steps to disassemble and reassemble are the same for the GMT as the Sub (removal and separation of parts, etc.).

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

There are just some different parts under the GMT bezel. Their order of placement is shown with pics in the link below.

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence

Since you have a cracked insert, I highly recommended putting everything back together and getting it working correctly BEFORE installing a replacement insert. It is much easier to install and make installation corrections (like adding silicone grease) on a bezel without an insert blocking your view. Plus if you need to seat and unseat the bezel a few times you don't risk cracking another insert. And finally aligning the insert is much easier as the last step. Any time a GMT retaining ring is moved (as in removed and replaced), if the scallops aren't in the exact same places rotationally the insert alignment will change.

Last edited: