• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

processengr

Respected Member
16/9/15
The steps to disassemble and reassemble are the same for the GMT as the Sub (removal and separation of parts, etc.).

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

There are just some different parts under the GMT bezel. Their order of placement is shown with pics in the link below.

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence

Since you have a cracked insert, I highly recommended putting everything back together and getting it working correctly BEFORE installing a replacement insert. It is much easier to install and make installation corrections (like adding silicone grease) on a bezel without an insert blocking your view. Plus if you need to seat and unseat the bezel a few times you don't risk cracking another insert. And finally aligning the insert is much easier as the last step. Any time a GMT retaining ring is moved (as in removed and replaced), if the scallops aren't in the exact same places rotationally the insert alignment will change.
Thank you so much!
This is exactly what I need!
I cant wait to try to assemble it with this pictorial!!

cajun600

Yea Yea Yea
12/8/22
USA
I posted this in the GMT thread @KJ2020 did, but I wanted to share here to help out anyone that might be having probs finding something to press in the crystal retaining ring...HUGE THANK YOU TO @KJ2020 !!! You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar...no cap ;)

(The reply is from the GMT crystal swap thread, not this one, just fyi)
Steps are the same for Sub and GMT, just a few different bezel parts. The 2nd link has that info.

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence
awesome, and the pics are back! thank you again...thanks to this tutorial and the links KJ2020 responded with, I was able to do a deep crystal swap more so using the "6-digit sub crystal and bezel swap link" on my CF 116710 GMT, was loads of fun figuring this out, lots of trial and error (LOL), and I bought a ton of tools to figure out which would work as the best crystal retaining ring presser (no access to a lathe to turn my own, etc.).

In case this helps anyone else, I found two options 'off the shelf' that work beautifully for pressing the retaining ring back properly and securely:
1. Money is no object option: Bergeon 5499-15 Set...specifically the 32mm/32.5mm double-sided die. Set was not cheap ($275) but dam are they nice and unbelievably high quality. I think there is a site that will sell individual dies, so I listed the one above that worked for me so you don't have to buy the whole set if you need this for the same watch I did.

2. Budget option - (and the winner IMHO) - is the aluminum die set from Esslinger for $30...I was able to use the 36mm die (inner dimension matches the base of the ring diameter perfectly and the die is straight walled, see attached pic). Very glad I found this option, and the set comes with many others...they are a bit rough and I had to swap one set out as the lip was too roughed up for my liking, and luckily Esslinger's customer service is always top notch. here's a direct link to the set as fyi: replacement-aluminum-die-set-for-watch-crystal-press-and-case-closer-set-of-30

I swapped in Deep and used a 2.7mm gasket from Esslinger as well as the CF gasket looked warped, and the end result is perfect to me. Happy swapping y'all!

clickpix.org

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
@cajun600 great stuff! Love Esslinger as well!

Thanks for the post!

PS - what press do you have/use?

Last edited:
Reactions: cajun600

cajun600

Yea Yea Yea
12/8/22
USA
@cajun600 great stuff! Love Esslinger as well!

Thanks for the post!

PS - what press do you have/use?
Thanks bro, I appreciate it, I'm messing with a few other potential tools that could also work as I've got a few more deep crystals to swap now that I've figured out how to do it decently well. stay tuned!

in terms of presses I own = too many. I bought all the Bergeon and Kwong clones off Aliex/ebay instead of buying one at full cost, will take a pic and post the setup in a few days when I get home.

Reactions: Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
Thanks bro, I appreciate it, I'm messing with a few other potential tools that could also work as I've got a few more deep crystals to swap now that I've figured out how to do it decently well. stay tuned!

in terms of presses I own = too many. I bought all the Bergeon and Kwong clones off Aliex/ebay instead of buying one at full cost, will take a pic and post the setup in a few days when I get home.
Looking forward to more stuff! Appreciate you sharing!

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
Hi all! I received a "basket case" CF GMTll BLRO with the bezel off, insert cracked couple of hytrel gaskets, 2 click springs, etc...
Does anyone have a link to something like an exploded veiw of the bezel assembly? A Google search and ChatGPT search did not pull up a usable image of one. The picures on here are quite good, but an assembly"view" would be useful at least to me to try to reassemble if not improve...my friend gave uop trying to get ity back together after the insert cracked... @KJ2020 ?

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
I just bought a genuine bezel gasket, wanted to install it to my GMT, but i still do not know how to do it.. My bezel is easy to pull off, thought this part was missing. But what’s the right way to install? :)

japer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/5/12
EU
I just bought a genuine bezel gasket, wanted to install it to my GMT, but i still do not know how to do it.. My bezel is easy to pull off, thought this part was missing. But what’s the right way to install? :)
Oops, somehow double posted

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
So after building up enough courage, I finally tackled this today. Grease galore!

Everything went smoothly until the infamous hytrel ring stretched and became useless. Thanks to @KJ2020 marvelous fix of cutting a piece out of it, we are back in business. I'll probably get a gen click spring and a new ring as it still is a tad tight, but certainly clicks better now with only a tad bit of resistance. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and even asked the questions I needed answered.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
So after building up enough courage, I finally tackled this today. Grease galore!

Everything went smoothly until the infamous hytrel ring stretched and became useless. Thanks to @KJ2020 marvelous fix of cutting a piece out of it, we are back in business. I'll probably get a gen click spring and a new ring as it still is a tad tight, but certainly clicks better now with only a tad bit of resistance. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and even asked the questions I needed answered.
Doubt the gen hytrel ring will work on the rep unless you use it on the gen bezel set.

TubeGuy

Known Member
Supporter
2/2/24
So California
I'm in a tough spot. My bezel fell off my Batgirl and I was in Costco, so could not find it. The watch has an upgraded crystal, and I LOVED it as much as my gen. In addition, the winding started to feel rough, almost a grinding feel. Watch is 9 months old.

I need a bezel, associated parts, and to get the movement looked at. It was may daily...until now.

Any referrals are welcome, for parts or service. I'm in California.

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I'm in a tough spot. My bezel fell off my Batgirl and I was in Costco, so could not find it. The watch has an upgraded crystal, and I LOVED it as much as my gen. In addition, the winding started to feel rough, almost a grinding feel. Watch is 9 months old.

I need a bezel, associated parts, and to get the movement looked at. It was may daily...until now.

Any referrals are welcome, for parts or service. I'm in California.
There are watch service providers kn CONUS like @watchservicesny .
The parts you can get from @CTime I guess.
But when you have to buy bezel (about 200-250) and make a service (about 200-250) you better just buy a new watch and sell the watch strap, and the movement and all for parts. This can get you funds at least 250.- covered and you got a brand new watch woth newest version.

The grinding mostly sure is dry ratchet wheel which would be an easy fix but cant say from here.
Hope I helped you out.

Reactions: KJ2020 and CTime