• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean GMT Master II Crystal Gasket rework

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
I had this in for a rehaut polish and a gasket change a while ago. This is the 11 series of course but I had to use a 2.5mm gasket on this Clean 116713LN to get the magnification right.

KY2OI8.jpeg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have a brand new Clean 126710 and new gen 7035 crystal with gen gasket lying here.
Can anyone recommend a combination of parts that work?
Some comments say the genuine gasket won’t fit, but others seem to have made it work?!
I am confused
There is one solution in the post immediately above yours. Personally I keep an assortment of gaskets on hand and pick the one that produces the best level of date magnification as the first priority with crystal sitting height as a close second goal.

Which crystal gasket should I use?

Crystal gasket shave - DIY

Last edited:
Reactions: stealth658

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I had this in for a rehaut polish and a gasket change a while ago. This is the 11 series of course but I had to use a 2.5mm gasket on this Clean 116713LN to get the magnification right.

KY2OI8.jpeg
Very nice bro!

• Wow
Reactions: Geonor

Sir_Maxelot

Do not accept unsolicited offers
17/11/22
There is one solution in the post immediately above yours. Personally I keep an assortment of gaskets on hand and pick the one that produces the best level of date magnification as the first priority with crystal sitting height as a close second goal.

Which crystal gasket should I use?

Crystal gasket shave - DIY

Custom Rolex crystal gasket height
Sorry, I wasn’t expressing myself very precisely. By „fitting the right gasket“ I actually meant the issue described by some that the clean gasket spec is different compared to gen spec. Not only height wise, but also concerning the diameter and thus altering the fit and compression of the retaining ring. Or was that a V1 issue and now you can install gen gaskets plug & play?

kino0924

Getting To Know The Place
20/12/23
Ok all the tools are arrive and currently in progress
1. successfully removed original crystal
2. installed new deep crystal with 2.5mm gasket
3. confirmed that second hand is touching the crystal
4. cannot press crystal retaining ring.

I tried to press the ring with DJ36 bezel but since the press tool is cheap tool,
its not giving even pressure and keep pushing only one side.

I may try with bench vise or find better bezel.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
3. confirmed that second hand is touching the crystal
4. cannot press crystal retaining ring.

I may try with bench vise or find better bezel.

3. Did you mean second hand is NOT touching your crystal?

4. If you try with a bench vise use appropriate stacking of pieces to make sure everything is protected. Taping some of the stack parts together make it easier to place them in the vise opening and start getting the jaws closed enough to hold everything.

3zJKx4.jpg

Last edited:

kino0924

20/12/23
3. Did you mean second hand is NOT touching your crystal?

4. If you try with a bench vise use appropriate stacking of pieces to make sure everything is protected. Taping some of the stack parts together make it easier to place them in the vise opening and start getting the jaws closed enough to hold everything.

3zJKx4.jpg

Second hand IS touching crystal. I need to shave it down 😂

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Second hand IS touching crystal. I need to shave it down 😂
Ack, you could try a taller gasket if that wouldn't make the date too big, Even make a custom height one if you only need a little bit of clearance.

kino0924

20/12/23
Today, I tried 2.7mm gasket.
Weird thing is that the installed height is almost identical...
I also compared 2.5mm and 2.7mm gasket before install and I confirmed that their height is different.

I see why @KJ2020 told to prep multiple gaskets and try to find best combination.
Now, I like 2.7mm gasket better and gonna stick with 2.7mm since its gen height ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jubbie71 and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Today, I tried 2.7mm gasket.
Weird thing is that the installed height is almost identical...
I also compared 2.5mm and 2.7mm gasket before install and I confirmed that their height is different.

I see why @KJ2020 told to prep multiple gaskets and try to find best combination.
Now, I like 2.7mm gasket better and gonna stick with 2.7mm since its gen height ;)
Gotta keep at it til it's right for you bro.

SerafinWatch

4/1/14
Switzerland
My full franken with gen new 2xA/R crystal with 2.70 gasket. Height and magnification are perfect, gen like! (all obviously shared during the construction phase with the Master kj2020 :) )

Stunning! I am also going that route as I have the gen parts (but no rep yet).

May I ask if your build was tested for WR?
The pepsi is the perfect summer/vacation/pool watch

Mark1937

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Stunning! I am also going that route as I have the gen parts (but no rep yet).

May I ask if your build was tested for WR?
The pepsi is the perfect summer/vacation/pool watch
yes my pepsi has been tested and is 100% waterproof

Reactions: SerafinWatch

tdx18

Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
Interesting thread.
As alternative, someone tried a VSF crystal?
I got a VSF crystal + gasket coming from datejust 36mm but don’t have skills to try it. Is it suitable on Clean GMT?

Did you or anyone else here try it out, whether a DJ36 crystal works well?

And, more importantly, does anyone have a way to source VSF parts or crystals in particular? I've only got word from 2-3 TD's which say super hard / virtually not possible.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
It could be the lighting, but looking at these photos I'm having a hard time seeing any difference in clarity between the Deep and the stock crystal.

kino0924

20/12/23
It could be the lighting, but looking at these photos I'm having a hard time seeing any difference in clarity between the Deep and the stock crystal.

I knew CF crystal's clarity is pretty good and I have no problem with that.
However, my main goal of changing crystal is to have correct height and date mag, not clarity ;)

Reactions: Pinion Minion

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I knew CF crystal's clarity is pretty good and I have no problem with that.
However, my main goal of changing crystal is to have correct height and date mag, not clarity ;)
Agreed. But CF has had a reputation of using slightly "milky" crystals - it's interesting to see a comparison with Deep in equal lighting .

Reactions: kino0924