• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

Pure78

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
Certified
23/2/22

Pure78

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Rock it bro, that second vid says it all. Nicely done!
Hi where I can buy good quality hytrel gasket bezel without the bezel having play left and right and up and down (obviously I don't mean rotation)

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hi where I can buy good quality hytrel gasket bezel without the bezel having play left and right and up and down (obviously I don't mean rotation)
Trusted Dealer CTime has for 28usd original gaskets from Clean Factory suplier.

Else: Fishing line and DIY

Reactions: KJ2020

Hugg727

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
I have bought 2 different gaskets from sellers on Ebay. They work but there is some play in the bezel. I actually went the fishing line route and now I have a solid feeling to the bezel.

I used a monofilament / 50lb test line that is .661mm and I did sand it down slightly

Note: I have also used the 40lb/ .573mm version in my 40mm Submariner with great results.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have bought 2 different gaskets from sellers on Ebay. They work but there is some play in the bezel. I actually went the fishing line route and now I have a solid feeling to the bezel.

I used a monofilament / 50lb test line that is .661mm and I did sand it down slightly

Note: I have also used the 40lb/ .573mm version in my 40mm Submariner with great results.
Glad to see folks having success with fishline. Just want to add a caution - start small and work up to a thicker line if your fit is still too loose. It is possible to press a bezel on with a line too thick which means the bezel won't rotate. In certain circumstances, the line can be thick enough to make it not possible to get the bezel back off through normal removal methods.

There is a solution for this predicament but it involves an oven and 500° heat. It will also melt your crystal gasket and the process of melting nylon is generally regarded as dangerous and not advisable. You can do your own research on it. I decided that the tiny amount of nylon needing to be melted in this situation constituted an acceptable risk but be advised. It does give off a slight odor and fumes can be noxious so a vent fan and an empty house are best. As careful as I am with test fitting lines, this has happened to me twice. Once when I couldn't get a bezel back off, and once when I couldn't separate the bezel from the retaining ring. Both times the nylon melted in about 20 minutes, shrunk up and turned crispy making removal possible. You can gauge how your chosen thickness is going to work by how hard it is to press it over the retaining ring lip. Don't force it if it's REALLY hard to press it on. Sand it down a little and try again.

When you find the right size line, add a very thin coat of silicone grease to the line and enjoy your gen-like bezel action. It's the bomb.

ZFVuSi.jpg

Hugg727

Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
Glad to see folks having success with fishline. Just want to add a caution - start small and work up to a thicker line if your fit is still too loose. It is possible to press a bezel on with a line too thick which means the bezel won't rotate. In certain circumstances, the line can be thick enough to make it not possible to get the bezel back off through normal removal methods.

There is a solution for this predicament but it involves an oven and 500° heat. It will also melt your crystal gasket and the process of melting nylon is generally regarded as dangerous and not advisable. You can do your own research on it. I decided that the tiny amount of nylon needing to be melted in this situation constituted an acceptable risk but be advised. It does give off a slight odor and fumes can be noxious so a vent fan and an empty house are best. As careful as I am with test fitting lines, this has happened to me twice. Once when I couldn't get a bezel back off, and once when I couldn't separate the bezel from the retaining ring. Both times the nylon melted in about 20 minutes, shrunk up and turned crispy making removal possible. You can gauge how your chosen thickness is going to work by how hard it is to press it over the retaining ring lip. Don't force it if it's REALLY hard to press it on. Sand it down a little and try again.

When you find the right size line, add a very thin coat of silicone grease to the line and enjoy your gen-like bezel action. It's the bomb.

ZFVuSi.jpg
Yes, I remember reading this from you in another thread. I have 3 different sizes and I always start with the smallest one first.

As always, you advice is spot on!

Reactions: KJ2020

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Here is a picture how you have to pull on the click spring (in which 3 directions) when you have the stock spring and want to improve click feeling. Each arrow symbolises pulling 1-2mm.

By the way, i removed and put together bezel 2 times and still can use the stock hyrtel ring - its all sbout beeing gentle;)

After that the "click" will be more genlike (if removing grease was done and added some (only few dots) of silicone grease)

Last edited:

kokomo

3/10/22
US
do the new movement clean GMT bezels still exhibit this behavior?

kokomo

3/10/22
US
doh, my bad. i read the first 2-3 pages and jumped to the last page. thank you!

technobabel22

17/4/17
Has anyone run into an issue where they’ve swapped out the Clean crystal and the bezel no longer stays on?

I had Oascom swap my crystal with a gen, and not long after getting it back, the bezel popped off and won’t go back on.

I made Oascom aware of the issue, and submitted a ticket for further repair. That’s was nearly a year ago and no response.

I’ve tried a few hytrel gaskets and that doesn’t seem to fix it.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Has anyone run into an issue where they’ve swapped out the Clean crystal and the bezel no longer stays on?

I had Oascom swap my crystal with a gen, and not long after getting it back, the bezel popped off and won’t go back on.

I made Oascom aware of the issue, and submitted a ticket for further repair. That’s was nearly a year ago and no response.

I’ve tried a few hytrel gaskets and that doesn’t seem to fix it.
Bezel/Hytrel ring repair - Long term

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great job bro. One other thing that CLEAN doesn't do right is fit the bezel tension ring (flat washer) around the retaining ring teeth. That washer should fit flat to the case, not half up on top of the teeth. It can get in the way of the click ring and cause binding or unnecessary parts wear.

Top half is correct, bottom half is not
jPfBTS.jpg

For anyone wanting to go the extra mile, the inner perimeter of the washer can be sanded down easily enough so it will fit properly.

Wrap sandpaper around a thin round tool
jPfpUL.jpg

I add back a tiny bit of silicone grease every few scallops since every bit was removed.

jPfrDP.jpg

derjenigewelcher Thanks for the post, awesome work!

Luca06150

Horology Curious
24/7/23
France
Hello, I really need help, I can't get the bezel to fit on the watch, it comes off and doesn't clip on. I'm losing hope, after hours of searching on the internet, I still can't find the problem.