• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Repair VSF 126610 Submariner Bezel / Hytrel Ring - Long Term!

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
A little background:

I recently picked up a VSF 126610LV Starbucks (M2M) whose bezel had roughly 0.5mm of vertical play (absolutely stunning and near perfect watch otherwise!). ~0.5mm of vertical play is not that terrible, but still fairly noticeable. The bezel rotation actually felt pretty good, but the vertical play was a little too much for me to leave it be….so the tinkering began!

When I pulled off the bezel to investigate, the bezel gasket (aka the hytrel ring) was actually black in color (not sure it was the stock gasket as I’ve only seen the white hytrel version with my other reps) and a bit deformed and split apart. I had read a few posts here recommending wrapping dental floss around the bezel gasket a few times to tighten things up, so that’s what I did. And with a little trial and error (ie wrapped ~10mm section, then 15mm section, then 20mm section, etc), I got the bezel back on and feeling pretty good and with virtually no vertical play. However, the bezel rotation was a little inconsistent…going from a little tight to a little loose as I turned the bezel. Also, in the process of removing and reseating the bezel several times, I managed to mangle the bezel gasket even more. So eventually I had to cut out the really damaged areas which left it in 2 shortened pieces. And even with all that damage and in 2 pieces, this little bugger still worked surprisingly well! Moral of the story here is these little bezel gaskets can take a lot of abuse and still work pretty well!

Short term solution:

Given the poor state of the original bezel gasket, I thought it best to pick up some new ones…which I did from 2 sellers on ebay (here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/161620824457 and here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293590263482). Unfortunately both were a little undersized for the job. As a result, when trying to reseat (ie press down) the bezel, the slightly undersized gaskets would invariably get caught on the crystal retaining ring…thus not allowing the bezel to rotate properly (the bezel rotation becomes super tight once the bezel gasket is deformed and only partially seated around the crystal retaining ring). So I stretched one ring out by hand (just a tiny bit and very gently) and then went back to the dental floss technique. I didn’t have much luck this time until I literally wrapped the entire ring with dental floss....which actually got it feeling pretty good. However, as I pulled the bezel on and off to make adjustments, the dental floss was beginning to slightly fray. So I think using dental floss may be a good short-term solution, but it will eventually fray and loosen/fail if you’re like me and enjoy endlessly fiddling with the bezel!

Long-term solution:

In light of the above, I thought lining the “bezel channel” that the hytrel ring sits in may accomplish the same thing as the dental floss and be a better long-term option (more on why below). To do so, the first thing that came to mind was using a thin strip of tape…so I grabbed some standard electrical tape because it’s fairly thick at ~0.15mm (compared scotch tape at only ~0.03mm). The channel is roughly 0.6mm wide and ~4.5 inches in circumference, so I cut a roughly 0.5mm wide strip of electrical tape about 4.5 inches in length (using an x-acto knife and a ruler). I then carefully lined the bezel channel with this thin strip of tape. And I’ll be damned…it worked beautifully! After a little trial and error, I ended up overlapping the tape strip about 1.5 inches (ie I used a ~6 inch strip to cover roughly 4.5 inches of circumference...thus 1.5 inches of overlap). The end result was fantastic. The bezel action feels extremely close to my gen 126610LN and there is ZERO vertical play! And the best part is the only thing touching the bezel retaining ring is the bezel gasket. So this fix should last a long time (ie no fragile dental floss rubbing against the crystal retaining ring that will eventually fray and ultimately fail).

Final thoughts:

I think what’s going on here is the inner diameter of the ebay hytrel ring is actually very close to the correct size needed. However, the outer diameter of this ring is too small for the bezel channel that it sits in. As a result, the hytrel ring can not maintain the perfectly circular shape needed to properly and fully slide over the crystal retaining ring (ie it too easily becomes oval in shape as you press down)…thus resulting in it getting caught (and deformed) on the crystal retaining ring (and therefore not allowing the bezel to turn correctly). The tape lining effectively applies pressure uniformly to the entire circumference of the hytrel ring, allowing it to maintain the perfectly circular shape needed for it to be properly pressed onto the crystal retaining ring. That’s my theory anyway….and I’m sticking with it!

Hope the above helps others experiencing the same (and I think very common) issue.

Pictures to follow:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Original Gasket with dental floss applied. This actually worked pretty well, even in 2 pieces!
Stock Ebay gasket sitting in bezel channel with no mods (ie no tape lining or pre-stretching)
0.5mm strip cut using x-acto knife and ruler
Carefully lining the channel with the 0.5mm strip
Bezel gasket sitting in channel after tape lining and pre-stretch

Bezel gasket deformed from a "bad press" (lining with tape helps eliminate this outcome!)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Excellent post, excellent analysis and information, and excellent result! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your successful technique.

Reactions: Galenik

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yours is a good solution. I had intended to try it on my next problematic bezel using bracelet tape. I've used layers of it stacked before to create semi-permanent filler for various purposes like improving SEL fit or building up insert height in a bezel well.

I think about 3-4 layers thick evenly spaced in 60° arcs inside the bezel gasket groove would accomplish the same result. Bracelet tape is easy to work with, stack it first then it can be cut all at once.

Great job bro, way to innovate a solution to a rep shortcoming.

nRaqn.jpg

nRWDE.jpg

nRiX3.jpg

nRmbs.jpg

Last edited:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Thanks KJ2020 , p0pperini. I actually thought about using polyimide tape (ie bracelet tape), but I think it's too thin (only ~0.03mm)...so it would take several layers to work. And it's a little tricky to line the channel...so having to do it many times would be very difficult!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks KJ2020 , p0pperini. I actually thought about using polyimide tape (ie bracelet tape), but I think it's too thin (only ~0.03mm)...so it would take several layers to work. And it's a little tricky to line the channel...so having to do it many times would be very difficult!

Fair points bro. I'll give your method a try next time.

Some other considerations for DIY'ers:

The aftermarket hytrel ring can just be cut instead of stretched. This takes out any guesswork in stretching and keeps the ring diameter uniform throughout its length. As you've seen the ring does not need to be intact.

You can use fishline in lieu of an aftermarket gasket. A whole spool is only a few bucks. I've fixed 7-8 bezels with fishline alone. Sizes I've used are 0.56mm, 0.61 and 0.64

ZFVuSi.jpg

However, using fishline carries a risk and it's happened to me once. If you choose a line thickness that is too big the bezel can still press on but then won't rotate and worse you can't get it back off. The only solution then is remove the movement and all gaskets and O rings possible and heat it in the oven at 500° or above for about 20 minutes. The nylon will shrink and become brittle (doesn't make a mess) but you will lose the crystal gasket too. The way to avoid this is start small and work up slowly.

But if using your electrical tape method, you can stay smaller with the fishline. Buy some the same diameter as the original hytrel ring. The more malleable tape (with some give to it) along with a smaller fishline should all but eliminate the scenario descibed above.

Last edited:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
You can use fishline in lieu of an aftermarket gasket. A whole spool is only a few bucks. I've fixed 7-8 bezels with fishline alone. Sizes I've used are 0.56mm, 0.61 and 0.64.

I like your fishing line solution KJ (price is certainly right!). How does the bezel click feel when using fishing line? Does it feel comparable to a standard hytrel ring?

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
I’ve used electrical tape also, though applying to the crystal ring on a GMT instead of the bezel.

Reactions: KJ2020

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I’ve used electrical tape also, though applying to the crystal ring on a GMT instead of the bezel.

Interesting...probably a good way to go if the hytrel ring is properly sized for the bezel and you are just looking to tighten things up a bit. However, if the hytrel ring is off on size, you will still end up with a bad press if you apply the tape directly to the crystal ring (ie the hytrel ring will get partially mangled/mushed on the crystal ring when reseating the bezel).

Reactions: TTmod and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I like your fishing line solution KJ (price is certainly right!). How does the bezel click feel when using fishing line? Does it feel comparable to a standard hytrel ring?

No difference at all bro. Whether GMT or Sub the click action isn't changed. I always add a thin coat of silicone grease on the line. The rotation might be slightly stiffer at first but that's often a good thing. With the right size fishline, you've just made a more durable and hopefully better fitting hytrel ring substitute. Fishline is extremely tough, it's not going to get mangled like a cheap rep hytrel ring will.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
No difference at all bro. Whether GMT or Sub the click action isn't changed. I always add a thin coat of silicone grease on the line.

Good to know bro. And excellent point regarding the silicone grease...I forgot to mention in my OP it's really important to add a shimmer coat of silicone grease to the hytrel ring. It substantially increases the odds of a good (non-mangled) press!

Watch9194

Horology Curious
19/10/14
I had this problem with my VSF Starbucks and got custom made bezel rings. Anyone need a replacement PM me, there’s pics in my post history

Reactions: tribal

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
Just wanted to express my gratitude for this! My VSF 116610ln has been sitting on the shelf for a couple months waiting for me to decide what to do about the slightly mangled hytrel ring causing the bezel to sit with a quarter of it not quite flush.

After a couple of eBay hytrel rings proved to not work, I dug out some electrical tape and an hobby knife and decided to try this method and using a ruler, cut a very small piece of tape to line the hytrel channel in the bezel.

I only used a piece about 1cm long in the area and reinstalled the hytrel ring, careful to align the spot where the ring looked like it basically didn’t quite have enough material to grip the crystal retaining ring with the tape.

Closed my eyes, took a deep breath and pressed the bezel back on… solid snap! Everything’s flush and nicely fitting. I forgot to add a dab of silicon grease before pressing it back on, but now that it’s fitting again I don’t want to risk prying it off so, I’ll just leave it for now and start wearing it again!

Anyways, love the innovative ways that everyone here comes up with to make things work - always such a wealth of learning!

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Just wanted to express my gratitude for this! My VSF 116610ln has been sitting on the shelf for a couple months waiting for me to decide what to do about the slightly mangled hytrel ring causing the bezel to sit with a quarter of it not quite flush....

Good to hear your VSF 116610ln is back in the rotation now...that's too nice a watch to leave sitting on the shelf!

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Will this mod also fix a loose turning VSF bezel? Or a complete new set of ball springs is needed to get the issue fixed?

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Will this mod also fix a loose turning VSF bezel? Or a complete new set of ball springs is needed to get the issue fixed?

I've never messed with the ball springs, so I'm not sure of their effect on bezel feel. My sense is most of the rotational friction (ie bezel tightness) stems from the hytrel ring pressing against the crystal retaining ring...so I would give this mod a try first. It's basically free, so you don't have anything to lose. Plus those little ball springs can be hard to source.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
One more thing to point out when doing this mod: the bezel channel (or groove) is ~0.6mm wide, so a flat head 0.5mm screwdriver works great for lining a 0.5mm strip of tape. Just anchor the tape strip (flat and square) to a single point in the channel and then lightly drag the screwdriver tip along the channel on top of the tape strip. As the tape strip goes in squarely, just press down every few millimeters to create a new anchor point (so the tape strip continues to go in squarely).

Reactions: engbanna1

ladygeek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/21
Great tutorial. Really appreciate you sharing this good info.

Mr.pitt

Known Member
28/4/21
just ruined my hyrtel ring and one of my ball springs is jammed into the hole... anybody have some spare parts?