• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

BreatheNBeat92

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Canada

BQBroiler

Looking Around
21/1/23
USA
I cannot for the life of me get this thing back on...came off without issue, tension ring not biting back into the bezel, everything is lined up and moving fine it's just sitting on it not snapping back in.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I cannot for the life of me get this thing back on...came off without issue, tension ring not biting back into the bezel, everything is lined up and moving fine it's just sitting on it not snapping back in.
Then u may have damaged the bezel gasket and you need a new one

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Funny: 2 Days ago i received my DanDong Movement Clean GMT Master 2.

Still the Bezel spring is wobbly greasy rep style..... sad they dont wanna upgrade this. but for the money, i understand.

Reactions: KJ2020 and VIO88

2fast4lust

Sexpert HorLanLogist
16/7/21
Dr. Miller's Planet

Still the Bezel spring is wobbly greasy rep style..... sad they dont wanna upgrade this. but for the money, i understand.

I think you should be able to find some aftermarket click springs on Aliexpress - or yeah just change the gasket to a fishing line.

the dandong3285 action is better than 3186 version but if we put in abit more effort on our, we can make it better :)

Reactions: flogtwo

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

I think you should be able to find some aftermarket click springs on Aliexpress - or yeah just change the gasket to a fishing line.

the dandong3285 action is better than 3186 version but if we put in abit more effort on our, we can make it better :)
correct, but for me
Its ok, i am not able to work on watches atm. OOTB its ok:)

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I am currently fixing the DanDong 3285 CLEAN GMT Master 2 bezelwise.

Waiting for the Aliexpress click spring als also for the hyrtel Ring i sourced directly from TD @KJ2020 .

I hope its better in terms of backplay then the clean.

Looking forward to this project since this really is the only weak point (xtal does not bother me) on this watch which makes it not a NWBIG.

Sonif backplay still is there i will have to sand the 3 tips that fit in to the scallop - but not to short/flat cause i guess its more wobbly as you say?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I am currently fixing the DanDong 3285 CLEAN GMT Master 2 bezelwise.

Waiting for the Aliexpress click spring als also for the hyrtel Ring i sourced directly from TD @KJ2020 .

I hope its better in terms of backplay then the clean.

Looking forward to this project since this really is the only weak point (xtal does not bother me) on this watch which makes it not a NWBIG.

Sonif backplay still is there i will have to sand the 3 tips that fit in to the scallop - but not to short/flat cause i guess its more wobbly as you say?
A weak click ring fails to suffiiciently anchor the oval pin bases into the scallops. If the fit between the oval bases and the scallops is good, sanding will not help. I've done that when the shapes differ causing the base not to recede fully into the scallop. Or if there is unwanted friction and binding. Keeping the shapes matching is important or it can result in more excess play because less movement is needed for rotation.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
A weak click ring fails to suffiiciently anchor the oval pin bases into the scallops. If the fit between the oval bases and the scallops is good, sanding will not help. I've done that when the shapes differ causing the base not to recede fully into the scallop. Or if there is unwanted friction and binding. Keeping the shapes matching is important or it can result in more excess play because less movement is needed for rotation.
I will look how the spring fits first and will clean and lube with silicone slightly, hope it works good:)

Reactions: Hugg727

Hugg727

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
I will look how the spring fits first and will clean and lube with silicone slightly, hope it works good:)
I hope this works for you. I cleaned up the grease, added the Aliexpress spring and did some sanding, but it still binds up. It is crazy smooth when I put the bezel on without the 3 pin spring.

Hey @KJ2020 , I bought some Hytrel rings for the GMT/40mm sub from the guy on Ebay and while they work for my sub they seem a little too small for the GMT. I am actually experimenting with some fishing line on it right now

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
After a while I acquired a GMT Master as mentioned, this time (haha, as always I intend to do so) I'm keeping it for a really long time ;)

So I figured I could use some of the knowledge I learned from this thread to fix the only feature on the watch that bothers me, the bezel action.

I was hoping for more from the new GMT Master, but apparently CLEAN gave a damn about improving the bezel action.

I noticed that in the pictures from the 1st post, the surfaces of the spring are much flatter than the newly installed one, so a certain upgrade was made. But that's no use if they smear the shit full of fat. So here's what you can do now.

1. Disassembly of the bezel - insert stays in. A quetip is then used to remove as much fat as possible on the underside of the bezel. If there are still a few leftovers, it doesn't matter.

2. The spring itself must be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. It took me 2 passes.

3. The bezel tention ring is still on the inside with a radius that is too small and stands up on one side. The radius must be increased here with sandpaper so that it lies 100% flat

4. I then cleaned the tension ring and the spring from the remaining grease residue with petrol, and then freed it from the remaining petrol with alcohol, and then blew it dry.

5. The depressions where the spring engages must also be completely cleaned of grease with a Quetip, rubber brush, kitchen paper, microfibre, whatever, so that nice clicking noises can occur and not a dull noise when metal meets grease.

6. In addition, the spring on the wires where there is no pin (i.e. at all 3 positions) must be pulled / stretched 1-2mm outwards so that the pins together with the plates generate more tension inwards (this also supports the "click direction gen ".

Then put everything back together and you're done.

It is important that you pry it off carefully (the Hyrtel ring can be damaged and the bezel can then no longer be securely attached). There is the famous fishing line solution from @KJ2020 or with some TDs a CLEAN FACTORY hyrtel RING (aftermarket does not fit 100%, only to a limited extent) but it costs a whopping 28 USD.

Here are some pictures, then below a link to a video BEFORE and after.

I will probably not even use the AliExpress spring I ordered, I am absolutely satisfied. Another NWBIG has arrived :)

BEFORE: (Activate Sound)

AFTER: (Activate Sound)

Last edited:

Hugg727

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
15/2/23
NJ,USA
After a while I acquired a GMT Master as mentioned, this time (haha, as always I intend to do so) I'm keeping it for a really long time ;)

So I figured I could use some of the knowledge I learned from this thread to fix the only feature on the watch that bothers me, the bezel action.

I was hoping for more from the new GMT Master, but apparently CLEAN gave a damn about improving the bezel action.

I noticed that in the pictures from the 1st post, the surfaces of the spring are much flatter than the newly installed one, so a certain upgrade was made. But that's no use if they smear the shit full of fat. So here's what you can do now.

1. Disassembly of the bezel - insert stays in. A quetip is then used to remove as much fat as possible on the underside of the bezel. If there are still a few leftovers, it doesn't matter.

2. The spring itself must be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. It took me 2 passes.

3. The bezel tention ring is still on the inside with a radius that is too small and stands up on one side. The radius must be increased here with sandpaper so that it lies 100% flat

4. I then cleaned the tension ring and the spring from the remaining grease residue with petrol, and then freed it from the remaining petrol with alcohol, and then blew it dry.

5. The depressions where the spring engages must also be completely cleaned of grease with a Quetip, rubber brush, kitchen paper, microfibre, whatever, so that nice clicking noises can occur and not a dull noise when metal meets grease.

6. In addition, the spring on the wires where there is no pin (i.e. at all 3 positions) must be pulled / stretched 1-2mm outwards so that the pins together with the plates generate more tension inwards (this also supports the "click direction gen ".

It is important that you pry it off carefully (the Hyrtel ring can be damaged and the bezel can then no longer be securely attached). There is the famous fishing line solution from @KJ2020 or with some TDs a CLEAN FACTORY hyrtel RING (aftermarket does not fit 100%, only to a limited extent) but it costs a whopping 28 USD.

I will probably not even use the AliExpress spring I ordered, I am absolutely satisfied. Another NWBIG has arrived :)

Glad to hear of your success with this.

Question when you did this step , how did you do it? In a vise? Pliers? Heat?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Glad to hear of your success with this.

Question when you did this step , how did you do it? In a vise? Pliers? Heat?

In a vise, then pulled by hand. On 3 different points.

Reactions: Hugg727

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Rock it bro, that second vid says it all. Nicely done!

• Love
Reactions: derjenigewelcher