• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

theoryGV

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/6/22
Sorry didn’t know it was breaking a rule was just trying to save someone the month wait from aliexpress will not happen again!

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/2/17
EU
Curious thing..
Today during the bezel disassembly of my clean v2 pepsi i noticed that bezel spring was different than stock bezel spring found on my Batgirl clean.
It has rounded sliding pin instead of squared as i saw on many clean gmt's.
Here the pic:
znXHmt.jpg

Anyone noticed it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Curious thing..
Today during the bezel disassembly of my clean v2 pepsi i noticed that bezel spring was different than stock bezel spring found on my Batgirl clean.
It has rounded sliding pin instead of squared as i saw on many clean gmt's.
Here the pic:
znXHmt.jpg

Anyone noticed it?
If you are referring to the half oval pin bases on the 3 pin click ring, the CFs are like all gen-spec and gen click rings. The inside curve has to be round to fit inside and slide past the crystal retaining ring scallops. I've never seen anything different in a gen-spec GMT 6 digit bezel assembly.

If you are referring to the pin itself, those could actually be square but that would unnecessarily impede their movement in the rounded oval bezel slots where they fit. I've seen some rep pins that aren't nicely finished but never ones that aren't round. Could be CF had a batch where the pins were square, if so it is those pins that are the anomaly, not the ones you pictured.

Last edited:

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/2/17
EU
If you are referring to the half oval pin bases on the 3 pin click ring, the CFs are like all gen-spec and gen click rings. The inside curve has to be round to fit inside and slide past the crystal retaining ring scallops. I've never seen anything different in a gen-spec GMT 6 digit bezel assembly.

If you are referring to the pin itself, those could actually be square but that would unnecessarily impede their movement in the rounded oval bezel slots where they fit. I've seen some rep pins that aren't nicely finished but never ones that aren't round. Could be CF had a batch where the pins were square, if so it is those pins that are the anomaly, not the ones you pictured.
Thanks for the answer mate.
I meant the shape of the three half oval pin bases.
I my batgirl apparently clean v2 are not rounded.
In my pepsi clean v2 are rounded like gen.
I wanted to try the aliexpress or gen click ring but i don't know if they are enough to achieve the "gen like" rotation leaving the other parts stock.
I never turn my bezels so it doesn't matter for me but i was curious.
If i can improve it with a single piece it could be affordable.
Anyway i can say that i found two different scenarios about bezel assembly on two "theoretically" identical watches(clean v2).
What i can confirm for sure is that gen xtal has to be fitted with stock clean gasket(shaved in order to obtain the gen crystal height).
I also noticed that gen pepsi/batgirl could has different crystal height, maybe it depends by which gasket the Rolex watchmaker uses from the crystal package during the assembly process.
Last but not less important is the space that gen crystal leave between insert and crystal that stock clean crystal doesn't.
Nobody cares about that but in my opinion is an easy tell on the stock rep.

Reactions: McDuck888

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/2/17
EU
  • Haha
Reactions: SuperLory

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Ok but 200$!!!
Considering that i never turn the bezel on my watches gmt/sub it's a non sense!
Aliexpress is a significant improvement. Still not gen like but a worthy mod at $60 IMO.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Feeling in the mood for some wristshot of my piece with GEN Bezel Spring, degreased, and re-aligned cyclopse from @Stuzzy .
He also fixed the hytrel ring problem of that its wasted once bezel taken off once. Not fishing line, (this would be the solution for next time:), but he took some very thin rest of 3d-printer-wire which was melted, so really, hair-thin. Georgeous piece and very happy with it:

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Tried .061mm fishing line (CF Bezel / Gen Crystal) and with a Gen Gasket as well as 2.85 clark gasket and it's not even close to being tight enough to keep the bezel installed. Back to the outdoor store for thicker fishing line! Will report back if I find success!

Reactions: McDuck888

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Tried .061mm fishing line (CF Bezel / Gen Crystal) and with a Gen Gasket as well as 2.85 clark gasket and it's not even close to being tight enough to keep the bezel installed. Back to the outdoor store for thicker fishing line! Will report back if I find success!
Not 0.06 / 0.6 bro...;) Its all about the decimals..

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
n CFs now if I run into issues like yours, I just go straight to using fishline. On the last few I've done, 0.56mm with a couple light pulls of 400 grit works great. Coat it with silicone grease before pressing.

Here what he did

2fast4lust

Sexpert HorLanLogist
16/7/21
Dr. Miller's Planet
On CFs now if I run into issues like yours, I just go straight to using fishline. On the last few I've done, 0.56mm with a couple light pulls of 400 grit works great. Coat it with silicone grease before pressing.

Hey @KJ2020 , i tried the fishline method today and started with a 0.6mm. It definitely felt better than what CF came stock, however i felt that it was still lacking in firmness in both rotation and also bezel play when pushing around it.

How was your experience with the 0.56mm ones if compared to gen & have you tried to use a thicker line?

I went up to 0.65mm, added some grease and spun my bezel for about 3minutes for the nylon fishing line to "run in" as motorheads would call it.
And it works really like a charm now.