• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
@KJ2020 I've replaced both of my CF Pepsi/Batman's with Gen Crystals and my bezels are essentially locked down and won't move. I removed the bezel using a bezel "press" removal tool so the hyrtel wouldn't be damaged (and upon inspection it doesn't appear deformed on either watch.

zIxP6t.jpg

I can get them to rotate a bit if I put some thin oil down around the hyrtel gasket but they are extremely stiff to the point of not being able to rotate at all, let alone with our owithout a gen "click" feeling.

I'm assuming this is due to the gen crystal being slightly differently chamfered to the clean v1 crystalsl? So the hyrtel gasket is too tight? That should be the only thing preventing movement correct?

Potential fixes would be to lightly sand down the hyrtel ring or try fishing line?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 I've replaced both of my CF Pepsi/Batman's with Gen Crystals and my bezels are essentially locked down and won't move. I removed the bezel using a bezel "press" removal tool so the hyrtel wouldn't be damaged (and upon inspection it doesn't appear deformed on either watch.

zIxP6t.jpg

I can get them to rotate a bit if I put some thin oil down around the hyrtel gasket but they are extremely stiff to the point of not being able to rotate at all, let alone with our owithout a gen "click" feeling.

I'm assuming this is due to the gen crystal being slightly differently chamfered to the clean v1 crystalsl? So the hyrtel gasket is too tight? That should be the only thing preventing movement correct?

Potential fixes would be to lightly sand down the hyrtel ring or try fishing line?

Check the bezel tension ring first (large washer).
Those are almost always poorly fit so part of the inner perimeter rides up onto the retaining ring scallops. This just binds the bezel up. That inner perimeter can be shaved back so the washer sits flat, not touching the retaining ring.

jPfpUL.jpg

Bottom has poor fit
jPfBTS.jpg

Should fit like this
jPf6MJ.jpg

On a CF after a crystal swap it's best to try the bezel out with no hytrel and no insert. See if the rest of the parts work. If they don't then you know it's not the hytrel. If the parts all fit right but still won't turn you can try adding some silicone grease every third scallop or so. Once everything works OK, add the hytrel and see what happens.

If it gets stuck then, your choices are

Shave the outside of the crystal gasket
Shave the inside of the retaining ring
Shave the inside of the hytrel ring
Use fishline

On CFs now if I run into issues like yours, I just go straight to using fishline. On the last few I've done, 0.56mm with a couple light pulls of 400 grit works great. Coat it with silicone grease before pressing.

theoryGV

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/6/22
So thoughts on just going Gen everything tension washer , hytrel, click spring , retaining ring? Seems that from reading this thread all parts should be able to fit only thing that hasn’t been brought up is if the Gen retaining ring should fit into the clean?

I’ll also be going a Gen crystal and gasket once interaktiv gets more in stock. Also side question will a clean bezel insert fit into a Gen bezel? Not sure I wanna pay the 3k for a Gen blnr insert.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
All the gen bezel assembly parts will fit on the CF case. CF insert will fit in the gen bezel.

Last edited:

theoryGV

27/6/22
All the gen bezel assembly parts will fit on the CF case. CF insert will fit in the gen bezel.
Thanks! Found a decently priced Gen set for all the bezel assembly pieces well decent in my mind $250 for click spring, retaining ring, tensioner washer, hytrel ring.

Reactions: GG2019

vodamerc

Muppet
22/2/22
Australia
Thanks! Found a decently priced Gen set for all the bezel assembly pieces well decent in my mind $250 for click spring, retaining ring, tensioner washer, hytrel ring.

I bought that set a few days ago, will be fitting a gen crystal so will report back on the result once it arrives.

theoryGV

27/6/22
I bought that set a few days ago, will be fitting a gen crystal so will report back on the result once it arrives.
It seems like a good deal all included and he has good reviews think I’m taking the plunge and ordering tomorrow just need to find someone who can put the whole thing together for me!

vodamerc

Muppet
22/2/22
Australia
It seems like a good deal all included and he has good reviews think I’m taking the plunge and ordering tomorrow just need to find someone who can put the whole thing together for me!
Looks like the price has just gone up. Might be worth contacting him, I did a deal direct avoiding eBay.

GG2019

Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Uk
I’ve also brought that set from him, waiting on arrival

GG2019

Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Uk
Where are you located mate? I’m uk so it says a few weeks until delivery. Did he drop the price back down for you ?

theoryGV

27/6/22
Where are you located mate? I’m uk so it says a few weeks until delivery. Did he drop the price back down for you ?
United states yes I hit him up on what’s app and did a deal there to avoid eBay/PayPal fees

GG2019

Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Uk
I’ve just received mine, god knows how it got to me in 3 days

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
Just did this, thanks!

I didn't clean ALL of the grease. Maybe about 1/2 of it. I ordered the Aliexpress ring. Hopefully it's better than Clean's but I am not expecting gen like.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland