• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

Pure78

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
It makes sense, but these tension washers are really thin and they won't raise the bezel height appreciably if at all. The bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is supposed to be snug against the crystal retaining ring lip, the tension washer just adds a little more pressure at that point to counter any looseness. On many reps, the presence or absence of this part changes nothing.

*Unless the part is improperly fitted like it is on the CF, then it serves as a nice binding agent. D'oh.

how is the washer mounted on the CF?

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
The improper fit of the tension ring (flat washer) does impose too much upward pressure on the click ring and hence the bezel. This can indeed contribute to the bezel popping off both because of the increased pressure and also due to constant force and wear on the already thin and weak hytrel ring.

can anyone tell me exactly the exact code of the tension ring bezel for GMT master 2 126710? A lot code
Which is for GMT 126710?

B316-16750-C5

B316-116710-C5

B316-116710-2-C5

????

Thanks bro

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Check to verify that the bezel tension ring (washer) is not binding on the retaining ring. The retaining ring is another weak point in the CF bezel assembly, it is thin and flimsy and may not mate well with the gen washer. Its teeth can be sanded back a little if there is binding. A gen crystal retaining ring is a better solution but they are not cheap of course. Silicone grease is what I use to relube the retaining ring. When I cleaned all the grease off one of mine AND sanded both the inner perimeter of the washer and the teeth of the retaining ring, the bezel would not rotate at all. Pretty crazy how badly CF screwed up the bezel components. I have DHGate shiiters whose bezel mechanics put CF's to shame.

CF retaining ring on top of an old BP for comparison
jPf4Zj.jpg

Sanding the inner perimeter - a round tool is inside the sandpaper
jPfpUL.jpg

Top is how the washer should fit, bottom is how most CF's come
jPfBTS.jpg

A small blob of silicone grease every third scallop
jPfrDP.jpg

You can test the bezel functionality before mounting it permanently by removing the hytrel ring for the tests
jPf6MJ.jpg

what is the reference code of the gen crystal retaining ring?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
if I remove the CF ring, with this ring gen will raise or lower the height of the bezel or will the height remain the same? Thanks bro

Depends on your bezel gasket (hytrel ring). The hytrel ring is what allows or prevents the bezel from lifting. Its inner perimeter should fit snugly under the crystal retaining ring lip, and is the only thing that keeps a bezel from popping off. Its outer perimeter fits in the bezel groove. A poorly fitting or damaged hytrel ring will cause poor bezel fit and possibly poor movement. The bezel tension ring (washer) should not (can not) lift a bezel up higher than the hytrel ring will allow it to go. It just adds pressure (tension) between the hytrel ring and the retaining ring lip to offset any looseness. If there is a gap between the hytrel and the lip caused by a short or worn hytrel, then adding a tension washer will lift the bezel up to eliminate that gap. It's possible this may create a gap between the bezel and the case, which can be asymmetrical if the hytrel is uneven in height due to wear or damage. All the pieces need to work together for proper fit and function.

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Depends on your bezel gasket (hytrel ring). The hytrel ring is what allows or prevents the bezel from lifting. Its inner perimeter should fit snugly under the crystal retaining ring lip, and is the only thing that keeps a bezel from popping off. Its outer perimeter fits in the bezel groove. A poorly fitting or damaged hytrel ring will cause poor bezel fit and possibly poor movement. The bezel tension ring (washer) should not (can not) lift a bezel up higher than the hytrel ring will allow it to go. It just adds pressure (tension) between the hytrel ring and the retaining ring lip to offset any looseness. If there is a gap between the hytrel and the lip caused by a short or worn hytrel, then adding a tension washer will lift the bezel up to eliminate that gap. It's possible this may create a gap between the bezel and the case, which can be asymmetrical if the hytrel is uneven in height due to wear or damage. All the pieces need to work together for proper fit and function.

Perfect bro , u have code reference of hytrel ring gen for GMT master 2 126710? Thank u

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384972426139

Too much $, even for 2. Check around or ask Sub007 , he can get gen parts

Also oascom has some custom made ones. Sub uses same part

Ei bro i buy all genuine parts, spring bezel, tension ring, retention ring, hytrel ring ..... after installing all gen parts, the bezel will work as gen and the click sound will be like gen?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ei bro i buy all genuine parts, click spring, bezel, tension ring, retaining ring, hytrel ring ..... after installing all gen parts, the bezel will work as gen and the click sound will be like gen?

If you get all gen parts you will get the closest to gen action possible. That's a lot of cost and effort to still have a CLEAN insert if that's the plan. Gen GMT bezel assembly doesn't click like a Sub, it's a muted thunk sound. It also varies among gen samples. I have several multiple years old reps with no gen parts that work and sound as good as most gens. Sometimes you can just add one gen part and it makes the difference for you.

ZVEdVn.jpg

pic credit below oascom
zeMlrS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
If you get all gen parts you will get the closest to gen action possible. That's a lot of cost and effort to still have a CLEAN insert if that's the plan. Gen GMT bezel assembly doesn't click like a Sub, it's a muted thunk sound. It also varies among gen samples. I have several multiple years old reps with no gen parts that work and sound as good as most gens. Sometimes you can just add one gen part and it makes the difference for you.

ZVEdVn.jpg

pic credit below oascom
zeMlrS.jpg

I have Batgirl not pepsi.
this is the click sound correct right ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/co...y_cf/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

And this

https://youtu.be/J1-0F8zKy0o

FDG

Supporter
Certified
11/7/10
What is the preferred method to remove the bezel? Today I removed one with a cheap bezel removal tool and wasn’t convinced. In the past I used a plastic prying tool to lift one side and it worked great. Reminded me of how much I hate working on Rolex bezels.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18