• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial: How to fix the Bezel on a CLEAN GMT Master 2

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Yea i think the fact I went Gen Crystal/Crystal Gasket is messing with the height of the crystal and where/how the Hyrtle is sitting causing me to have issues others haven't reported. I tried .70mm last night and it was so tight I almost was unable to remove it with the bezel removal clamping tool.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

theoryGV

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/6/22
Well finally got around to installing my Gen click spring and washer and it is so much better! Now just gotta get the balls to attempt to replace the retaining ring with the Gen one i bought since I already got it, not sure how much difference it will make but figure why not just waiting to get the Gen crystal aswell.

rssid

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/7/22
Hehe same just ordered a gen retaining ring as well as a gen bezel

vodamerc

Muppet
22/2/22
Australia
Well finally got around to installing my Gen click spring and washer and it is so much better! Now just gotta get the balls to attempt to replace the retaining ring with the Gen one i bought since I already got it, not sure how much difference it will make but figure why not just waiting to get the Gen crystal aswell.
Do it once you get your gen crystal as the gaskets are different sizes. The gen retaining ring might not clamp hard enough on the rep gasket.

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
This thread was also useful in helping me convert my Pepsi into a fantasy Coke. Thank you!

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
This thread was also useful in helping me convert my Pepsi into a fantasy Coke. Thank you!

Endo

Known Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
UK
Many thanks for this thread gents, going to give this a go on my batgirl.
Whole watch is in need of clean and polish... However my bezel assembly on my batgirl feels totally different to that on my pepsi,
Very much assume my pepsi is clagged in that grease from the feel.

2fast4lust

Sexpert HorLanLogist
16/7/21
Dr. Miller's Planet
Many thanks for this thread gents, going to give this a go on my batgirl.
Whole watch is in need of clean and polish... However my bezel assembly on my batgirl feels totally different to that on my pepsi,
Very much assume my pepsi is clagged in that grease from the feel.

From my experience, the bezel action on the Batgirl is better than the Pepsim I've had more than 3 of each models from clean come past my hands. It's always the bats that has the better bezel action.... Not sure why either!!

Thats a good looking batman! is it a prof xtal youre using?

I'm using an deep crystal. It's a crystal that Chinese modders in their domestic market uses alot.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
From my experience, the bezel action on the Batgirl is better than the Pepsim I've had more than 3 of each models from clean come past my hands. It's always the bats that has the better bezel action.... Not sure why either!!
They use same case and bezel contrsuction, may be luck:)

Endo

Known Member
Patron
Certified
13/4/22
UK

I'm using an deep crystal. It's a crystal that Chinese modders in their domestic market uses alot.
How odd, many thanks for the info

Tschacko

1/8/18
Thanks for the answer mate.
I meant the shape of the three half oval pin bases.
I my batgirl apparently clean v2 are not rounded.
In my pepsi clean v2 are rounded like gen.
I wanted to try the aliexpress or gen click ring but i don't know if they are enough to achieve the "gen like" rotation leaving the other parts stock.
I never turn my bezels so it doesn't matter for me but i was curious.
If i can improve it with a single piece it could be affordable.
Anyway i can say that i found two different scenarios about bezel assembly on two "theoretically" identical watches(clean v2).
What i can confirm for sure is that gen xtal has to be fitted with stock clean gasket(shaved in order to obtain the gen crystal height).
I also noticed that gen pepsi/batgirl could has different crystal height, maybe it depends by which gasket the Rolex watchmaker uses from the crystal package during the assembly process.
Last but not less important is the space that gen crystal leave between insert and crystal that stock clean crystal doesn't.
Nobody cares about that but in my opinion is an easy tell on the stock rep.
As I degreased the whole shit of the watch :D, I found I could not turn the bezel any more even with some silicon spots here and there. What did the trick was shaving the pin bases a little so there was enough room to detach the pins. Now the bezel has some little play when you turn but I dont move my bezel anyway.

FiliGelli

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/2/17
EU
As I degreased the whole shit of the watch :D, I found I could not turn the bezel any more even with some silicon spots here and there. What did the trick was shaving the pin bases a little so there was enough room to detach the pins. Now the bezel has some little play when you turn but I dont move my bezel anyway.
I think that you fucked the hyrtel ring or the crystal tension ring.
These are the only things that allow the right bezel turning without speaking about the click that's another argument.

3rdpirate

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/17
Thank you!

Didn’t expect it to be so nasty under there!

Cleaned and smeared a drop of bearings lube.

Now makes a distinct smooth click with little play.

zdH4OL.jpg