• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Repair VSF 126610 Submariner Bezel / Hytrel Ring - Long Term!

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Unfortunately that hytrel does not seem good. The bezel will sit correctly with only a slight pressure, but it does not stay in place. Once the pressure realeased, it pops out. The hytrel does not seem to lock it in place.
When you say the bezel "pops out" when pressure is released, do you mean the bezel raises up a tiny bit from the case as shown in your second pic? If so, it is perfectly normal to have a tiny bit of vertical play in the bezel. my 2 six digit gens both have roughly 0.1-0.2mm of vertical play and my AD confirmed this is within Rolex tolerances.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
Louisiana
Unfortunately that hytrel does not seem good. The bezel will sit correctly with only a slight pressure, but it does not stay in place. Once the pressure realeased, it pops out. The hytrel does not seem to lock it in place.

Again as I mentioned, there is a proper way to do this.

Your metal internal ring could be shifting not holding the hytrel in place properly.

beneton

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France
When you say the bezel "pops out" when pressure is released, do you mean the bezel raises up a tiny bit from the case as shown in your second pic? If so, it is perfectly normal to have a tiny bit of vertical play in the bezel. my 2 six digit gens both have roughly 0.1-0.2mm of vertical play and my AD confirmed this is within Rolex tolerances.
The bezel does not stay in place, it falls down. Here is what it happens: https://mega.nz/file/yFtQjBKJ#5qSF5mZi6XHIwVhAkYbpvrUhHq8kMuMmkjpQXG0E6Xo

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
The bezel does not stay in place, it falls down. Here is what it happens: https://mega.nz/file/yFtQjBKJ#5qSF5mZi6XHIwVhAkYbpvrUhHq8kMuMmkjpQXG0E6Xo
Looks like your hytrel ring is slightly damaged (see below). I would try to mold (or trim) the damaged area back closer to its original shape, which may help. You could also try flipping the hytrel ring to see if the bezel snaps into place more securely, or line the bezel groove with some tape to get a slightly tighter fit. If none of those suggestions work, you probably just need a better fitting hytrel ring or some fishing line as @KJ2020 recommended. Good luck!
H5qQxp.jpeg

Reactions: KJ2020

beneton

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France
I went with a fish line and I found a sweet spot - 0.75mm does fit quit nicely, maybe just a tiny bit too tight. I have a 0.73mm fish line as well. I am waiting for my patience bucket to feel back up and maybe I will git it a try :)
I am still interested in a proper hytrel for VSF 126610. If anybody gets a reliable source to buy them, please do let me know.

Reactions: Valaj and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I went with a fish line and I found a sweet spot - 0.75mm does fit quit nicely, maybe just a tiny bit too tight. I have a 0.73mm fish line as well. I am waiting for my patience bucket to feel back up and maybe I will git it a try :)
I am still interested in a proper hytrel for VSF 126610. If anybody gets a reliable source to buy them, please do let me know.
0.75mm is quite large, I've never used anything above 0.64mm

You didn't say - is the line a little tight in the groove or the bezel a little tight on the watch?

It's not how the line fits the groove that matters most it's how it fits the retaining ring lip on the watch. The reason this is important is that it's possible to press a bezel on with a line thick enough that the bezel can then not be easily separated from the retaining ring.

The line then has to be melted away, and that can mean heating the whole watch if the retaining ring doesn't come off when attempting to remove the bezel. It's not a terrible or messy ordeal, just one that should be avoided if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinion Minion

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I’ve used fishing line several times since @KJ2020 recommended it in a thread I read somewhere. The gentleman seems to have boundless knowledge and this is no exception.

Still, inspired by the man who sent me down this path, I did some experimentation and found a transparent 0.70 mm nylon jewelry making “thread” at Michaels that works great. I’ve used it on two CF Pepsis, a GMF Sea-Dweller, a couple of VSF Subs, and a Joker Sub. For each, I got a nice snug yet smooth turning fit and, best of all (knock on wood), none have failed.

The noticeable difference between the fishing line and the jewelry line is the jewelry version is more elastic which probably explains why the sweet spot is a slightly larger diameter than the 0.64mm fishing line that I can also say from experience also works great. It’s cheap too!!!

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Should add that the GMT bezel naturally has a bit of play you won’t see in a bezel that only turns in one direction.

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
So, after going through 6 pages of info, it seems like using fishing line is one of the best options? Either thar or get the 116610 rings from eBay and add electric tape to it.

I have a brand new VSF126610 but the bezel action has left me very dissatisfied. I want to tighten it up and, if possible, I'd love a better click action with less backplay. The latter, I assume, needs a new click spring at the least along with ball and spring bearings. For the former, do you think the current hyrtel ring, if not mangled or deformed, can be used along with electric tape like in the first post for a tighter feel? I haven't tried yet because I don't have the tools to remove and reinstall a bezel. I'd rather pay someone to do it for me.

Also, I'm confused as to why @KJ2020 has mentioned different sizes of fishing line (its PURELY my fault and not his at all; I'm a total noob when it comes to all this). Is it because different reps need different sizes to tighten things up to an acceptable level (like one watch might need 0.4mm thickness whereas another watch might need 0.6mm)? Or is it because different people might have different levels of tightness acceptable to them and that's why various thicknesses are recommended?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So, after going through 6 pages of info, it seems like using fishing line is one of the best options? Either thar or get the 116610 rings from eBay and add electric tape to it.

I have a brand new VSF126610 but the bezel action has left me very dissatisfied. I want to tighten it up and, if possible, I'd love a better click action with less backplay. The latter, I assume, needs a new click spring at the least along with ball and spring bearings. For the former, do you think the current hyrtel ring, if not mangled or deformed, can be used along with electric tape like in the first post for a tighter feel? I haven't tried yet because I don't have the tools to remove and reinstall a bezel. I'd rather pay someone to do it for me.

Also, I'm confused as to why @KJ2020 has mentioned different sizes of fishing line (its PURELY my fault and not his at all; I'm a total noob when it comes to all this). Is it because different reps need different sizes to tighten things up to an acceptable level (like one watch might need 0.4mm thickness whereas another watch might need 0.6mm)? Or is it because different people might have different levels of tightness acceptable to them and that's why various thicknesses are recommended?
This post should answer your question

Reactions: Valaj

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
This post should answer your question

Thank you very much for responding! So in short, looks like it's a mix of both. I appreciate the response!

Now if only you worked on watches for customers.....haha if wishes were horses.

nofitstate

20/7/13
So I've tried a few bezel gaskets over the past year or so on my VSF 126610LN. The first was from the ebay seller in the USA called wholesaleoutlet990, I can't remember the profile shape of them but they didn't work to well. The next was from a AliExpress seller, not sure of the profile shape of gasket again but it seemed to work better but it wasn't long before the bezel popped off. Then I found an ebay seller in UK who had them, they are T shape in profile and seemed to fit very well but did leave slightly more gap between the bezel and case than I was really happy with, though after about a year it got quiet stiff and the bezel came off. I will say all of the above gaskets where listed for a 40mm model. I then found another AliEpress seller listing one for the 126610 models which arrived at the weekend and I have just fitted. This gasket is completely square in profile and is the best fitting one I've found. The gap between the bezel and case is now less than 0.1mm and probably more closer to 0.05mm, there's no noticeable backplay in the bezel and the turning action has a nice feel to it, not overly stiff or loose. Now a point I must stress when reassembling the bezel is never do it with all the pieces in one go as that is where I see a few of posters here getting into trouble. Alway disassemble the bezel entirely. Then reassembly in the order of bezel, hytrel gasket, bezel ring and then finally the ceramic insert. This will ensure the hytrel ring doesn't get damaged in the process and it's also a good time to line the bezel insert up perfectly with the dial markers should your watch have arrived misaligned. This is the link for the seller with the specificly lister 126610 gasket I am now using.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £10.03 | 1Pcs Watch Bezel Waterproof Rubber Gasket Seals Washers O-Ring for RLX Submariner GMT Yacht Bezels Turntable

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
So I've tried a few bezel gaskets over the past year or so on my VSF 126610LN. The first was from the ebay seller in the USA called wholesaleoutlet990, I can't remember the profile shape of them but they didn't work to well. The next was from a AliExpress seller, not sure of the profile shape of gasket again but it seemed to work better but it wasn't long before the bezel popped off. Then I found an ebay seller in UK who had them, they are T shape in profile and seemed to fit very well but did leave slightly more gap between the bezel and case than I was really happy with, though after about a year it got quiet stiff and the bezel came off. I will say all of the above gaskets where listed for a 40mm model. I then found another AliEpress seller listing one for the 126610 models which arrived at the weekend and I have just fitted. This gasket is completely square in profile and is the best fitting one I've found. The gap between the bezel and case is now less than 0.1mm and probably more closer to 0.05mm, there's no noticeable backplay in the bezel and the turning action has a nice feel to it, not overly stiff or loose. Now a point I must stress when reassembling the bezel is never do it with all the pieces in one go as that is where I see a few of posters here getting into trouble. Alway disassemble the bezel entirely. Then reassembly in the order of bezel, hytrel gasket, bezel ring and then finally the ceramic insert. This will ensure the hytrel ring doesn't get damaged in the process and it's also a good time to line the bezel insert up perfectly with the dial markers should your watch have arrived misaligned. This is the link for the seller with the specificly lister 126610 gasket I am now using.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £10.03 | 1Pcs Watch Bezel Waterproof Rubber Gasket Seals Washers O-Ring for RLX Submariner GMT Yacht Bezels Turntable
Thanks for the link which I have bookmarked for future use.

One thing about working on rep watches, there are few “one fits all” solutions. Even watches from the same factory can present unique challenges. @KJ2020, @dogwood, you, and others have shared an immense amount of practical experience which has helped me slay many dragons.

I appreciate everyone who contributes valuable insight and tips I would have to otherwise learn through trial and error.

Reactions: Nickyan and dogwood

johnnyBGood28

Horology Curious
27/5/23
Los Angeles
Thanks for the Aliexpress link. Did you get the 40mm or 41mm hytel?

nofitstate

20/7/13
Thanks for the Aliexpress link. Did you get the 40mm or 41mm hytel?
I purchased the 41m one. I will say that after having it installed for a few weeks the bezel is stiffer to turn but it does hold it on very securely, so worth bearing in mind.

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
I purchased the 41m one. I will say that after having it installed for a few weeks the bezel is stiffer to turn but it does hold it on very securely, so worth bearing in mind.
Hold it on securely as in? Your bezel popped off?

So looks like fishing line is the best way to go? Since no one has complained of the bezel popping off with fishing line whereas there are quite a few reports here about it popping off with aftermarket hyrtel rings?