• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to Repair VSF 126610 Submariner Bezel / Hytrel Ring - Long Term!

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Do these work well?
I’ve heard varying opinions as sometimes they are far too loose. They leave a lot of wobble on the bezel.

I know Oascom sells the 116610. Not sure of anyone that sells the 126610. I developed some for myself but don’t sell them.
Cant tell now, ordered.

Will update here. Will try on VS and CF.

Reactions: Lampa and butler182

Lampa

Known Member
9/5/20
Nordic
hello people!
I have just ordered 0.52mm fishing line for my vsf 126610. I will report back when I have assembled everything!

Reactions: butler182

Lampa

Known Member
9/5/20
Nordic
does anyone know where you can buy quality inserts for vsf 126610? have seen on ali express but don't know if it fits on vsf

johnnyBGood28

Horology Curious
27/5/23
Los Angeles
Yes, I think you're right...although the renderings of both parts are pretty weak. See update below:
Can you all help me understand the direction and order to install the parts. Prior to installing to the watch, I assembled the parts int the following order. Bezel, Hytel Ring, Bezel Insert Ring, Bezel Insert. First I sandwiched the Hytel Ring between the Bezel and the Bezel Insert ring with the groove on both facing the hytel ring. When I install it, the rotation was buttery smooth. However it popped off while I was wearing it (I lost one spring!!) So I fliped the Bezel Insert ring so that the groove no longer was on the Hytel Ring side. The bezel stayed on but was really tight. Also, is the hytel ring unidirectional or is it supposed to be installed a specific direction?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can you all help me understand the direction and order to install the parts. Prior to installing to the watch, I assembled the parts int the following order. Bezel, Hytel Ring, Bezel Insert Ring, Bezel Insert. First I sandwiched the Hytel Ring between the Bezel and the Bezel Insert ring with the groove on both facing the hytel ring. When I install it, the rotation was buttery smooth. However it popped off while I was wearing it (I lost one spring!!) So I fliped the Bezel Insert ring so that the groove no longer was on the Hytel Ring side. The bezel stayed on but was really tight. Also, is the hytel ring unidirectional or is it supposed to be installed a specific direction?
Over the years rep hytrel rings have had different shapes and different vertical orientations. Most are single stairstep on the outer perimeter. Some have been a double stairstep (a middle edge protrusion) others have had inner perimeter steps. Some have no steps at all.

So it's important to pay attention to the shape and orientation of a hytrel before taking it out of its groove. Failing that, if it's a newer rep the most likely arrangement is like in the diagram below:

H2SoI2.jpeg

Unless a hytrel I remove is in near perfect shape, I just use fishline as a replacement.

zIp6uS.jpg

For bezel and crystal installation guidance, see the threads below

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

6-digit GMT bezel install sequence

Last edited:
Reactions: butler182

Lampa

Known Member
9/5/20
Nordic
Here comes a big update!!
I have received all my parts for my VSF 126610 and assembled the watch.

H2SCWQ.jpeg

Ordered two Hytrel Rings from aliexpress.

Also took the opportunity to order a set with new springs, balls and the locking mechanism when I still had everything down.

The locking mechanism and the springs with the balls fit without any problems. The feel of the new locking mechanism is very good!!
It's a harder click that I think feels more gen like.

H2STfR.jpeg

The Hytrel Ring fits well, I bought two because you never know if you'll manage to crush one.
The bezlen action is VERY GOOD now, Not loose and not hard. In my opinion, it is close to gen!

I am super happy with the result!
Hope this helps some of you who are having problems with your bezel

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
Louisiana
Gens have a middle step as KJ describes below, so it doesnt matter which way you install those. I have also noticed that the newer reps I have worked on have the gen-like design as well.

H2SCWQ.jpeg

Also took the opportunity to order a set with new springs, balls and the locking mechanism when I still had everything down.

The locking mechanism and the springs with the balls fit without any problems. The feel of the new locking mechanism is very good!!

H2STfR.jpeg

The Hytrel Ring fits well, I bought two because you never know if you'll manage to crush one.
The bezlen action is VERY GOOD now, Not loose and not hard. In my opinion, it is close to gen!

How did you press on the bezel to the watch?
The 126610 series is a bit different than the 116610 series in the bezel construction. The Hytrel ring is support but the metal insert plate below the insert. It is very risky pressing on the bezel with the insert installed, as you could break the insert. I do not recommend pressing the entire assembly back on.

Rolex manual actually shows installing the bezel WITHOUT the insert, then once mounted you press the inert back in.

Anyone who tries this, be aware of this....

Lampa

Known Member
9/5/20
Nordic
Gens have a middle step as KJ describes below, so it doesnt matter which way you install those. I have also noticed that the newer reps I have worked on have the gen-like design as well.

The 126610 series is a bit different than the 116610 series in the bezel construction. The Hytrel ring is support but the metal insert plate below the insert. It is very risky pressing on the bezel with the insert installed, as you could break the insert. I do not recommend pressing the entire assembly back on.

Rolex manual actually shows installing the bezel WITHOUT the insert, then once mounted you press the inert back in.

I have made this bezle tool so i can press the bezel with the hand.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
Louisiana
I have made this bezle tool so i can press the bezel with the hand.

Yes I noticed that. However, the way the bezel is designed on a 126610, you do risk breaking the insert by pressing all at once.
If the hytrel gives way and moves the internal retaining ring, your insert will move on you and break potentially.

I'm glad it worked for you, but future warning for anyone else trying this. Be careful.

See below. This is how the bezel should be assembled on a 126610. Once you do this part, the hytrel is installed. Then pressed on to the case. Then a different die is used to press in the insert safely.

Last edited:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20

H2SCWQ.jpeg

H2STfR.jpeg

Did you have to do any mods to get the aliexpress hyrel ring to work properly...or was it a good fit OOTB?

Reactions: Lampa

Lampa

Known Member
9/5/20
Nordic
Update,
Did you have to do any mods to get the aliexpress hyrel ring to work properly...or was it a good fit OOTB?
it fit well. BUT, the bezel was a bit hard to turn in some places so I thought I'd redo it and then it went wrong, broke 2 rings and now I'm done with this and selling the watch as it is. you probably have to do as the gentleman above says and press it into place in parts. I give up now. :p

beneton

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France

I received the same hytrel ring for an 126610LV. I had the occasion to compare it with the one 126610LV VSF comes with. Roughly the dimensions and main differences are:
- VSF has a L shaped, the other one has no specific cut/profile, it is a plain circle
- VSF ring height is 0.88mm, width 0.86mm/0.59mm
- the other ring height is 0.59mm, width 0.69mm
- VSF color is translucent while the AliExpress one is solid/opaque white

I will install the new hytrel ring soon. From what I am reading on this thread, there should be no problems. Fingers crossed and thank you for sharing.

beneton

Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France
I received the same hytrel ring for an 126610LV. I had the occasion to compare it with the one 126610LV VSF comes with. Roughly the dimensions and main differences are:
- VSF has a L shaped, the other one has no specific cut/profile, it is a plain circle
- VSF ring height is 0.88mm, width 0.86mm/0.59mm
- the other ring height is 0.59mm, width 0.69mm
- VSF color is translucent while the AliExpress one is solid/opaque white

I will install the new hytrel ring soon. From what I am reading on this thread, there should be no problems. Fingers crossed and thank you for sharing.
Unfortunately that hytrel does not seem good. The bezel will sit correctly with only a slight pressure, but it does not stay in place. Once the pressure realeased, it pops out. The hytrel does not seem to lock it in place.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Unfortunately that hytrel does not seem good. The bezel will sit correctly with only a slight pressure, but it does not stay in place. Once the pressure realeased, it pops out. The hytrel does not seem to lock it in place.
Maybe try a gen hytrel, or give fishline a go. I would get 0.4 0.5 0.6mm. A custom size can be made (and is sometimes needed) by folding over some 320 or 400 grit sandpaper and pulling the line through the paper a few times. Then cut the thinned line to size and fit it to the groove. Add a thin coat of silicone grease.

0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 1mm Dia Crystal Nylon Thread Transparent Non-elastic Fishing Line Beading Cord For DIY Jewelry Finding HK197

Last edited:

beneton

Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France
Maybe try a gen hytrel, or give fishline a go. I would get 0.4 0.5 0.6mm. A custom size can be made (and is sometimes needed) by folding over some 320 or 400 grit sandpaper and pulling the line through the paper a few times. Then cut the thinned line to size and fit it to the groove. Add a thin coat of silicone grease.

0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 1mm Dia Crystal Nylon Thread Transparent Non-elastic Fishing Line Beading Cord For DIY Jewelry Finding HK197
I am asking around for a gen hytrel, I have not foubd one yet.
If no success, I will try some fishline. Thank you for your advice @KJ2020

Reactions: KJ2020

snaes

WTB Noob LMPO v5 🙏
Supporter
Certified
4/4/22
EU
I am asking around for a gen hytrel, I have not foubd one yet.
If no success, I will try some fishline. Thank you for your advice @KJ2020
I will be receiving some hytrel rings for 126610 once customs are cleared. If they work on my 126613 (also have the beads nylon from Ali coming in to try it out), I can send you one for free.

beneton

Supporter
Certified
9/4/21
France
I will be receiving some hytrel rings for 126610 once customs are cleared. If they work on my 126613 (also have the beads nylon from Ali coming in to try it out), I can send you one for free.
Thank you @snaes. Please do let me know.