• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The RWI Running Club

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
A few of us on this forum are getting together and forming a bit of a virtual running club, and this is your first stop.
So Welcome to The RWI Running Club

So it's not about how fast, far or where, it's just about running and sharing it with everyone on here. We are all based around the world so it should be fun to see other people runs. We can cheer each other on and see each other's progress.

As I post this the holidays are coming, and a lot of people may start running in the new year, so I hope the timing of this may be good and useful for a few members.

So first things first, it doesn't matter how new or experienced you are, this should be a place where old runners can help new runners. Share tips, training programs, and stuff like that.
Hopefully there will be some trainers out there who can help us hit pb's, longer distance, and avoid injuries.

Maybe be we can set some distance and climb challenges as well keep it interesting.

I also think it is worth mentioning that different people will have different approaches and techniques to training and running. Take from each persons experiences and advice they offer, what you will, don't brush it aside as rubbish. It works for them it may or not work for you.

Next up I have created a club on Strava that anyone can join. It will give you a place you can upload your runs, data and anything related to your run, as well as a way you can share it on here.
The club can be found here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/rwi-running

Finally the last thing that I can think of at the moment is:

The First Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club.
The Second Rule of The RWI Running Club is: We DON'T TALK about the RWI running club
The Third
Rule of The RWI Running Club is: If someone goes limp, yells stop, or collapses, pause there Chronograph.
The Fourth Rule: Runs will go on for as long as they have to.
Fifth and final rule.....if it is your first post here...you have to post a run within 24hrs

Welcome and have fun

Hi all running members
sorry for being late but I'M IN !!!
and sorry for my english, which is very approximate :blush:

For the "records" :
Nothing very impressive but well ... I have PBs (RPs in French)
- 5 km : ... "I'm getting too old for this s..t !!!"
- 10 km : 49' (2014)
- semi-maratohn : 1h45' (2014)
- marathon : 3h45' (2015)
- 100 km : 12h53' (2015) ...sorry for being so slow (I trained for under 12h30') but after running the first 42km (4h10') I HAD to stop to pooh and lost about 3/4h (there was a waiting line) !!! true story ... I swear :laugh:

Favourite GEN :
My SUNNTO AMBIT II ... far above all others.
She (no "It" for her) was with me all along my "100km de Millau", recorded all my run and gave me very precise indications to regulate my pace.
Without her I would have been unable to recover the time I lost after the 42kms (I was on the way for a 13h30' finish time ... after "the poo").
She even made a little "Suunto Movie" of my race ... I'll show you.

Favourite REP :
Currently my DSSD D-Blue Sea-Dweller, though a little big for my wrist and a little heavy for a daily beater (need a nice vintage leather strap + a rubber strap)
In the future ... my "vintage late 1959 GMT Vanilla Pepsi" ... just a project now, but I'll manage to built one in the next 2 years

Running history :
I'm a "young" runner ... began running July 2013 and ran my first 10 km october 2013 (58') ... I was not a pure sedentary prior running
I'm an old runner too ... 57 years old ... that's why I MUST built myself a "vintage late 1959 PanAm GMT Vanilla Pepsi"
There I have to specify that long distance running is an "old man" activity ... you can't run fast no more so you run long (quite the same under the sheets :wink:)

Running schedule 2016 :
Next to nothing this year :cryingbadly:
With old age come stupid things like "degenerative arthrosis".
And when this shit comes in your spine you win a ... permanent AND very disabling "F...ING cruralgia !!!"

Running schedule 2017 :
Late July this year I met a very charming neurosurgeon (yes ... charming ... a SHE ... and fortunately well known as a neurosurgeon) and she will cure my spine late January.
She has promised me that I will :
- hike and swim again early summer
- run again september
- enjoy a good ski-touring season next winter (no 360° she said ... never again)

Running schedule 2018 :
If eveything goes very well ...
- some short trails early 2018 ... just to heat the engine and check if the spine goes WELL
- Oslo Ecotrail May 2018 - 80 km ... quite an "easy" and "flat" one but a good opportunity to say hello to my grandson
- UT4M 160 Xtrem August 2018 ... that IS a tough one ... 169 km with 11.000 m ascent (and descent :laugh:) ... that was my 2017 goal
You can have a look at the profile here : http://ut4m.fr/en/courses/ut4m-160/ut4m-160-xtrem/

Later :
I would like to enter my sixties with "La Petite Trotte à Léon " (Leon's Little Run).
290 km around the Mont-Blanc / 26.500 m ascent / max time 151h30' (including sleeping hours :whistling:).
That will probably stay in my dreams-bag.
Not that it is impossible to qualify, not that I'll be too old (one of my friend did it at 63) but :
1 - I'm not sure that my spine, even cured, will acept such a stupid run
2 - it's a team race so I will have to find another idiot to run with
3 - it's a one full year training goal so I will have to hug my wife a lot to make her accept this (but not too much or I'll be exhausted:laugh:)

mincus8

29/10/14
Hi all running members

For the "records" :
- 100 km : 12h53' (2015) ...sorry for being so slow (I trained for under 12h30') but after running the first 42km (4h10') I HAD to stop to pooh and lost about 3/4h (there was a waiting line) !!! true story ... I swear :laugh:

Favourite GEN :
She (no "It" for her) was with me all along my "100km de Millau", recorded all my run and gave me very precise indications to regulate my pace.
Without her I would have been unable to recover the time I lost after the 42kms (I was on the way for a 13h30' finish time ... after "the poo").

Favourite REP :
Currently my DSSD D-Blue Sea-Dweller, though a little big for my wrist and a little heavy for a daily beater (need a nice vintage leather strap + a rubber strap)
In the future ... my "vintage late 1959 GMT Vanilla Pepsi" ... just a project now, but I'll manage to built one in the next 2 years

Running history :
I'm a "young" runner ... began running July 2013 and ran my first 10 km october 2013 (58') ... I was not a pure sedentary prior running
I'm an old runner too ... 57 years old ... that's why I MUST built myself a "vintage late 1959 PanAm GMT Vanilla Pepsi"
There I have to specify that long distance running is an "old man" activity ... you can't run fast no more so you run long (quite the same under the sheets :wink:)

Running schedule 2016 :
And when this shit comes in your spine you win a ... permanent AND very disabling "F...ING cruralgia !!!"

Running schedule 2017 :
Late July this year I met a very charming neurosurgeon (yes ... charming ... a SHE ... and fortunately well known as a neurosurgeon) and she will cure my spine late January.
- run again september
- enjoy a good ski-touring season next winter (no 360° she said ... never again)

Running schedule 2018 :
- some short trails early 2018 ... just to heat the engine and check if the spine goes WELL
- Oslo Ecotrail May 2018 - 80 km ... quite an "easy" and "flat" one but a good opportunity to say hello to my grandson
- UT4M 160 Xtrem August 2018 ... that IS a tough one ... 169 km with 11.000 m ascent (and descent :laugh:) ... that was my 2017 goal
You can have a look at the profile here : http://ut4m.fr/en/courses/ut4m-160/ut4m-160-xtrem/

Later :
I would like to enter my sixties with "La Petite Trotte à Léon " (Leon's Little Run).
290 km around the Mont-Blanc / 26.500 m ascent / max time 151h30' (including sleeping hours :whistling:).
Not that it is impossible to qualify, not that I'll be too old (one of my friend did it at 63) but :
3 - it's a one full year training goal so I will have to hug my wife a lot to make her accept this (but not too much or I'll be exhausted:laugh:)

Welcome to the club! Wow! 100km run! I can't fathom that ....yet at least but hopefully soon! No such thing as slow in this club. Different runners of ages and abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
insane personal bests!

i really suck in running, im more of a lifter ;)

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
Thanks guys, we got in late last night, after 29hrs of travelling. But we've had some sleep, breakfast is on its way and me and the good lady are felling good now. Time to go and explore, and get some sea breeze in the lungs

Enjoy sir!! Every minute there is a blessing, such an amazing place!

trb1971

3/6/15
Hi all running members

For the "records" :

Favourite GEN :

Favourite REP :

Running history :

Running schedule 2016 :

Running schedule 2017 :
- run again september

Running schedule 2018 :

Later :

WOAH dude, those times are awesome.

It's also good to know that there is hope for us other later starters to the running life. 57 and with times like those...who says you get slower as you get older. Even if you do need to stop pooh every 42k :)

and welcome to to the club by the way :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
WOAH dude, those times are awesome.

It's also good to know that there is hope for us other later starters to the running life. 57 and with times like those...who says you get slower as you get older. Even if you do need to stop pooh every 42k :)

and welcome to to the club by the way :)

Hey !!! I do not stop pooh EVERY 42 ... just after the first 42
That was the first time I had to do this.
I always try to "empty" before a run, but that was my first ultra and ... I suppose it's normal to be a little stressed for a first atempt on such a distance.
But when you pass the line you really think "well ... wasn't such a big deal and I could run 20 more" [emoji6].

Sent from the RWI mobile app

trb1971

3/6/15
Hey !!! I do not stop pooh EVERY 42 ... just after the first 42 ?
That was the first time I had to do this.
I always try to "empty" before a run, but that was my first ultra and ... I suppose it's normal to be a little stressed for a first atempt on such a distance.
But when you pass the line you really think "well ... wasn't such a big deal and I could run 20 more" [emoji6].

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Have you ever done a cycle race ?

If so you should be familiar with the "gel trots"
All that carb overloading the night before , topped off with what is basically a fruit flavour glucose slime.

Lets just say that the high metabolic athletic body that's been jiggling about doing a warmup means something's gotta explode.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Have you ever done a cycle race ?

If so you should be familiar with the "gel trots"
All that carb overloading the night before , topped off with what is basically a fruit flavour glucose slime.

Lets just say that the high metabolic athletic body that's been jiggling about doing a warmup means something's gotta explode.

Well ... I could say I'm very "old style" (if anybody says "vintage" be sure I'll pull the trigger:laugh:) and organic.
So for me no gel, no supplement, no energy drink, just some basics.

A/ drink something every 2.5kms ... never wait to fell thirsty ... I always try to check my weight before and after a run and if I have lost more than 1kg on a semi it's not good (lost only 3kgs on my 100km)
B/ eat something every 5kms ... never wait to fell hungry

10 or 15kms :
- a sip of plain water every 2.5 kms
semi :
- still a sip of plain water every 2.5 kms
- a lemon quarter (love that) + dried fruits (apricots or raisins ... no prunes) or organic fruit paste every 5kms
marathon :
- still a lemon quarter (love that) every 5kms
- alternate dried fruits and "nougat"
ultra (road) :
- still a lemon quarter (love that) every 5kms
- still alternate dried fruits and "nougat"
- add some sandwiches after 42kms
- add some beer after 70kms ... "beer fuelling !!!" ... that's why I love running ultras :wink: 1.5L over the last 30kms
trails :
That's a little more tricky cause you're near to self-sufficient (happy if you get 1 "food and drink station" every 15kms).
So you have to choose ... the more you load your bag, the more you have to carry.
And for very long distance you have to add some stuff like headlamp, spare battery, raincoat, polar shirt, blow-up doll (sometimes you fell lonely while running in the dark), etc ...
For each item you can find PROs and CONs and you have to do the right choice ... except for the blow-up doll ... it's mandatory:hehehe:

That's it for me ... some have other way to deal with their metabolism

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks guys, we got in late last night, after 29hrs of travelling. But we've had some sleep, breakfast is on its way and me and the good lady are felling good now. Time to go and explore, and get some sea breeze in the lungs

How do we track you on Sunday ?
Bip number please ...

Aaron97

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/16
This is a pretty cool idea. I'd join y'all, but I haven't graduated to real running yet. Currently stuck on the elliptical because of knee troubles. I know it's not the same, but I currently do 5k, 4 days a week, then a 10k once a week. Gotta drop some more poundage before I can hit the streets again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trb1971

3/6/15
How do we track you on Sunday ?
Bip number please ...

Well I've just put my number in some tracking thing and it comes up with no particpants found :(
but my number is 72274.

The other halfs number is 15558 so keep trying either as we'll be running together-ish :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Well I've just put my number in some tracking thing and it comes up with no particpants found :(
but my number is 72274.

The other halfs number is 15558 so keep trying either as we'll be running together-ish :)
Dont worry ... that's quite normal as you're not already running :wink: your bip is not "on" and live results tracking system is not managed by NRO :laugh:
Well ... in fact ... would you please stop sipping this "Captain's Demise" and look over your left shoulder ?
See that funny bird ?... it's not a real one ... it's an animatronic connected to our brand new NGEO stuff.
But don't get stressed, sip your cocktail and get ready for the race.
Sunday we'll just be sitting in our Fairfax County basement ... keeping an eye on you !!!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Im actually getting a little nervous now

Hehe ... 45 years old and still a first-timer :hehehe: ... that's the fun of trying a new race distance

Enjoy your run my friend

trb1971

3/6/15
Thanks guys, it's only about 12 hrs away now

I'm just gonna plod my way round and get to the end

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks guys, it's only about 12 hrs away now

I'm just gonna plod my way round and get to the end
Time to rest and sleep buddy :wink:
Don't get too much nervous ... it's only 42 kms and you will be surprised by how a human body can handle that easily if well prepared (and you ARE prepared).
Just some advices :
- run YOUR pace ... the one you're prepared for
- beware of being pulled away by faster runners (not so simple cause the first kilometers seem SO easy)
- don't focus on trying a negative split (all the runners I know who do NS are WELL seasoned runners)
- drink and eat something a every catering spot ... NEVER wait to feel thursty
- walk a little while you drink and eat ... your body will rest much more than you think while walking 100 m so you will gain more time than you'll loose
- ENJOY