• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The RWI Running Club

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
Just use the principle of progression, slowly increasing duration and resistance. But the key is to not run too much. Incorporate a variety of cardiovascular exercises so that you can push your cardiovascular abilities without overworking specifuc mechanics.

For example if you just start running every day more and more sure your heart, lungs and muscles will become more efficient with their work. But you run the risk of overworking your knees, getting shin splints ect. So rather do 20 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of biking, 20 minutes of plyometrics. The next day change your emphasis to more running. Then the next day don't run at all but meet your training requirements through other means.

Principles of periodicity and progression.

Once you ensure to have a level of fitness, proper mobility and you are stronger at that point you can specialize on your running.

All that being said Imho it's not a good idea to run and only run, especially as we age. Our bodies become less tolerant to repetitive activities. The key to a good running program is variety

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind.

mincus8

29/10/14
Just use the principle of progression, slowly increasing duration and resistance. But the key is to not run too much. Incorporate a variety of cardiovascular exercises so that you can push your cardiovascular abilities without overworking specifuc mechanics.

For example if you just start running every day more and more sure your heart, lungs and muscles will become more efficient with their work. But you run the risk of overworking your knees, getting shin splints ect. So rather do 20 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of biking, 20 minutes of plyometrics. The next day change your emphasis to more running. Then the next day don't run at all but meet your training requirements through other means.

Principles of periodicity and progression.

Once you ensure to have a level of fitness, proper mobility and you are stronger at that point you can specialize on your running.

All that being said Imho it's not a good idea to run and only run, especially as we age. Our bodies become less tolerant to repetitive activities. The key to a good running program is variety

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Could not have said it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdw1

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/16
Conus (Tennessee)
*fifth rule exception*

I see some good friends of mine here and wanted to ask a question rather than post times. I am not a runner but it's been slowly becoming one of the things I really want to get into mainly for daily stress relief, weight loss and other health benefits. How would you approach a startup from "zero" as i think currently I will be able to run maybe if a lion is behind me and even then I would be considered easy dinner. I have slowly been walking a little faster and faster and walking about 2-3miles a day but that's also went wayside with the snow starting to fall? Any suggestions on getting me to a point where I can do a 5k or even 1/2 marathon?

Excellent advise give already but also check your PM box as well my friend :)

Sent from the RWI mobile app

D

d4m.test

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind.

Good to see you here [MENTION=100114]Jeane123[/MENTION]

I really enjoy running, but when I got back into it, it was a hard slog from about 3years doing sod all. I would go out three nights a week, and do about 3km in stages, run for a bit, walk for a bit. I would run the same route, and each time try to run a little more and walk less, which was easy to keep track of because of the route I did. I now prefer to go out early morning, but that's just because life is too busy for evening runs.

Your fitness and stamina will soon pick up, and before you know it, you'll be pushing your run/walk markers. Soon enough you'll be doing bigger distances and running without slowing to a walk.

Definitely not a good idea to run everyday. My knees got wrecked. At one point, for about three months I ran 75k going everyday between Monday and Friday. I had to stop running for about half a year because of it though. At least I learnt that I don't really like cycling. I try to run every other day now, and strength train at the gym in between, mostly upper body.

There are a ton of 'couch to 5k' apps out there now. Some of my friends have used them and really got the running bug.

Sent from my generic fruit phone via the RWI mobile app

pdw1

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/16
Conus (Tennessee)
Good to see you here [MENTION=100114]Jeane123[/MENTION]

I really enjoy running, but when I got back into it, it was a hard slog from about 3years doing sod all. I would go out three nights a week, and do about 3km in stages, run for a bit, walk for a bit. I would run the same route, and each time try to run a little more and walk less, which was easy to keep track of because of the route I did. I now prefer to go out early morning, but that's just because life is too busy for evening runs.

Your fitness and stamina will soon pick up, and before you know it, you'll be pushing your run/walk markers. Soon enough you'll be doing bigger distances and running without slowing to a walk.

Definitely not a good idea to run everyday. My knees got wrecked. At one point, for about three months I ran 75k going everyday between Monday and Friday. I had to stop running for about half a year because of it though. At least I learnt that I don't really like cycling. I try to run every other day now, and strength train at the gym in between, mostly upper body.

There are a ton of 'couch to 5k' apps out there now. Some of my friends have used them and really got the running bug.

Sent from my generic fruit phone via the RWI mobile app

[emoji106] this.
My fiancé (who I coach as well but never listens. Lol!) just picked up a book who's name escapes me.
It's a VERY good write up on the 3 day run week (obviously filling in other days with cycling, gym work, yoga, and such).
I'll post it here when that I'm over at her house today sometime.
Met Jeff Galloway a few years back and at the time I was doing doubles (running once before my day got going and then again at the end) 4 days per week. Basically a double every other day while also swimming, cycling, and gym work for triathlon at the time.
He started talking about diminishing return and how that ever since he retired from running, he said he does a run/walk three days per week only and has been sporting related injury free for some 15 years.
That cannot be said for many runners including myself at the time.
From that conversation I pulled back to running once A day three or four days a week and my times improved. And training and in racing and not Just in running but also swimming and cycling. Basically, I was over revving my engine all the time.
Good for you for backing off some and remembering we have to have our body all our life. They can't replace everything after all. LOL

trb1971

3/6/15
*fifth rule exception*

I see some good friends of mine here and wanted to ask a question rather than post times. I am not a runner but it's been slowly becoming one of the things I really want to get into mainly for daily stress relief, weight loss and other health benefits. How would you approach a startup from "zero" as i think currently I will be able to run maybe if a lion is behind me and even then I would be considered easy dinner. I have slowly been walking a little faster and faster and walking about 2-3miles a day but that's also went wayside with the snow starting to fall? Any suggestions on getting me to a point where I can do a 5k or even 1/2 marathon?

+1 to what Maron and everyone else has said really.

I used intervals to get me started and I still do to reach further distances.
At the start it could be something like 30 sec running 2 mins walking, (trust me that first 30 seconds is looooooooong)
And like the others have said there are a lot of apps out there now like couch to 5k that will get you there using just a smartphone.

I found the first place to start, was walking, at the best pace I could do, one that made me breath harder but I could talk.

Distance isnt anything to worry about yet. Just doing exercise is what counts. But most of all just enjoy doing it.
And if you dont enjoy it, go cycling instead.
(I do both, cycling is running for people who have come up with a proper excuse not to run :) )

I will be happy to help and give you homework if uou want it but I think there's a few other guys that already have done that :)

trb1971

3/6/15
Haha i know, but I don't run. Cycling only[emoji1]

Ah well...ride slower, and then you could pretend you were running.

But I'm sure no one will mind if you were an honoury member. You could cycle along next to us telling us to go faster.
(i do that with the missus, she is much faster than me, and I got her into the 6 min mile-ing that way :) )

Timmetje83

I'm Pretty Popular
7/4/13
Ah well...ride slower, and then you could pretend you were running.

But I'm sure no one will mind if you were an honoury member. You could cycle along next to us telling us to go faster.
(i do that with the missus, she is much faster than me, and I got her into the 6 min mile-ing that way :) )

Do I get a whip to encourage you to go faster :laugh:

trb1971

3/6/15
No one is spatula-ing my arse...unless the missus asks really nicely

trb1971

3/6/15
So I'm currently at LAX waiting for the final bit of travelling to Oahu

trb1971

3/6/15
Thanks guys, we got in late last night, after 29hrs of travelling. But we've had some sleep, breakfast is on its way and me and the good lady are felling good now. Time to go and explore, and get some sea breeze in the lungs