• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Pam 111 Build (Case Mods + Movement Mods), [Pic Heavy]

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Almost done. I've done so far,

- gen gear train
- gen pallet bridge brushed
- gen setting wheels
- brushed lever jumper
- incabloc
- polished crown and ratchet wheel
- full serviced and cleaned movement.

Next step is getting gen crown and ratchet wheel screws, gen blue bridge screws and the hardest part, finding a better swan neck and micro screw.

775d5238ba23493d058a81dff0ea0efc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
WOW, chris, you have been very busy. Looks great. Gen blue screws for the bridges will be a nice upgrade. The rep crown and ratchet wheel screws can be refinished at home to look gen. You just need to stick them in a dremel and press them against fine sandpaper at low speed for a second or two, then polish. Rep swan necks can be reshaped into proper shape, but will never really function like a gen swan-neck. I have no idea where to get the micro-screws. If you find stock of them, PM me. ;)

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I have tried many things with the screws but they still look shit because the slot of the rep screws just too wide. But I will try your tip with the dremel.
My example was this pic of a gen

82dab13ab70980c24a9d3365c69ffd6f.jpg

I thing it's nearly impossible that rep screws look like that.

Sent from my iPhone 6

hughesj

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/6/13
The gen blue screws are a must, no doubt. I'm fully convinced that the Asian screws are anodized since that is how they do a lot of their blued hands as well. The gens are blued with heat as per traditional bluing. Regardless, the Asian ones have a slight green shine to them and are a little too light in overall color (another reason I believe Asian screws aren't heat blued). Here is a comparison Marlin did awhile ago:

ETA1-1.jpg

hughesj

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/6/13
BTW, Nice movement Chris!

Also, in that gen pic you posted, you can see why I want to replace the balance wheel with the gen. when it's stationary like that, you can see that the "blades" (for lack of a better word) of the wheel are finely beadblasted and the rim is polished to a mirror shine. the Asian one is the same dull finish all over. Also they are two different tones of gold.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I can fully confirm the Asian screws are anodised, and they will not work properly with a gen movement (they will be too loose). However, every gen screw I have used works well with a rep movement--even though the gen screw is slightly thicker.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I have tried many things with the screws but they still look shit because the slot of the rep screws just too wide.

I thing it's nearly impossible that rep screws look like that.

Sent from my iPhone 6

The slots of the crown and ratchet wheel screws on the rep are not finished as precisely as the gen, and the slots are a bit wider. There is a way to refinish the slots with a micro-file and other tools. BTW, even many ETA crown/ratchet screws will need flattening and polishing, as their heads are often slightly rounded. Chris, did you reshape your incabloc yourself or install a new Y one?

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
That's true. The click screw is already a gen ETA screw and the finish is not very good. I wait for the other screws and than i refinish all together.
I have installed a gen Y incablock. But disassemble and assemble the balance and the regulator is pur horror.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12

hughesj

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/6/13
That won't work with an ETA 6498 since the barrel and the stem hole are reversed compared to the 6497.

Regarding using an ETA 6497, this can be done, I think that's how marlin used to do his. you would, however, have to do your own perlage on the base plate and dill and tap for the screw just above the OP engravings since the stock ETA doesn't have that hole.

Has anyone attempted to just install the rep bridge plates on a gen ETA 6498? Seems like that might be a quick and relatively easy way to upgrade the movement, while keeping the appropriate engravings and look.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
hey hughesj, thanks for the thread! will be having a pam111 delivered next month, am actually considering doing some tinkering with it. your progress is extremely helpful.

NickOT

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/09
That won't work with an ETA 6498 since the barrel and the stem hole are reversed compared to the 6497.

Regarding using an ETA 6497, this can be done, I think that's how marlin used to do his. you would, however, have to do your own perlage on the base plate and dill and tap for the screw just above the OP engravings since the stock ETA doesn't have that hole.

I think it may depend on what ETA 6497-2 movement you get, I got a waltham branded 6497-2 movement and it has that hole on the baseplate.
I just need to figure out how to do the pearlage.

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Almost done. I've done so far,

- gen gear train
- gen pallet bridge brushed
- gen setting wheels
- brushed lever jumper
- incabloc
- polished crown and ratchet wheel
- full serviced and cleaned movement.

Next step is getting gen crown and ratchet wheel screws, gen blue bridge screws and the hardest part, finding a better swan neck and micro screw.

775d5238ba23493d058a81dff0ea0efc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

Impressive! My compliments.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Next step done, the jewels mod brings the rep 6497 to the next level. Thanks to Dochere for the hint.

e5e3e335d358736b65d576a57a7c3ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
Next step done, the jewels mod brings the rep 6497 to the next level. Thanks to Dochere for the hint.

e5e3e335d358736b65d576a57a7c3ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6
So clean! Nicely done mate. Have a question though, did you remove the jewels before tinting them or you applied the shellac straight on the jewels attached to the bridge?

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Nice work! Really nice!

I have a Marlin modded 111 myself and I want to take it to the next level. I am by no means as skilled as you guys, so I need other people to do these kinds of mods for me.

I have however some questions, hope someone can help me out before I spend some money.

I want to use a 390 case and cg. Who in the EU can and wants to polish my case and mod my cg?

I also would like to install a gen crown, but I need a new stem right? Since a rep crown's tube is shorter than the gen's. I searched on ebay but there are 100's of different 6497 stems.... Anyone can point me the correct one?

Help is really appreciated :)