• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The RWI Running Club

Aaron97

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/16
Do not THINK ABOUT joining ... just JOIN :greedy:

Thanks for the advice. The wife is onboard with me doing it too, so that will help. As for size, I would not consider myself tall (5'9"), but I know from experience 195-205 is ideal for me. So all in all, I'm lugging around an extra 60 lbs of unnecessary weight. I already hit the gym 5 days a week, spending 30-60 minutes doing cardio and then weight training (but not body building style). I've actually already dropped a considerable amount of weight this year.

As for the energy drinks, I don't drink them for exercise energy. Some people drink coffee, I drink one can of monster each day. Which I have actually drastically cut back on, I believe I only had 1 this week, rather than one every day. Its been more of a habitual addiction than anything.

I can drop another 30 pounds over the next 90 days no problem. I also have a full medical checkup due this month (company required) so, I will know if I have an medical concerns other than obesity to deal with.

So its been decided, I will be signing up tomorrow and begin training on Monday.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for the advice. The wife is onboard with me doing it too, so that will help. As for size, I would not consider myself tall (5'9"), but I know from experience 195-205 is ideal for me. So all in all, I'm lugging around an extra 60 lbs of unnecessary weight. I already hit the gym 5 days a week, spending 30-60 minutes doing cardio and then weight training (but not body building style). I've actually already dropped a considerable amount of weight this year.

As for the energy drinks, I don't drink them for exercise energy. Some people drink coffee, I drink one can of monster each day. Which I have actually drastically cut back on, I believe I only had 1 this week, rather than one every day. Its been more of a habitual addiction than anything.

I can drop another 30 pounds over the next 90 days no problem. I also have a full medical checkup due this month (company required) so, I will know if I have an medical concerns other than obesity to deal with.

So its been decided, I will be signing up tomorrow and begin training on Monday.

Well ... let's crunch a few numbers ...

Sugar :
1 - a 2014 WHO report stated the maximum quantity of sugar an average man should eat : 50g
2 - the sugar quantity in 1 monster energy drink can is : 54 g
So with only 1 can a day you're already "oversugared"

BMI - Body Mass Index :
Still according to OMS
- "excessive thinness" between 16,5 and 18,5
- "good" BMI between 18,5 and 25
- "overweight" between 25 and 30
Considering your size (5ft9 / 1,80m)
- at 260 lbs (130 kgs) weight your BMI = 40,10
- at 205 lbs (103 kgs) weight your BMI = 31,80
- at 195 lbs (98 kgs) weight your BMI = 29,00
- at 160 lbs (80kgs) weight your BMI = 24,7
You practice weight training so we should consider you have more muscles than an average man.
And muscle is heavier than fat so your BMI is, therefore, on the "high range".
But just consider this ... Arnold Schwartzenegger is 6ft2 tall a(1,88 m) and nowadays his weight is about 245 lbs (111 kgs) ... BMI = 31,4 ... and he's a former M. Olympia.
So, if I may, I would say that you'd better stay under 190 lbs (95 kgs) and 190 lbs (85 kgs) would be better ... if you really want to run without any risk of injury.

Training :
You practice eliptical machines 30-60 mns (medium is 45 mns) 5 times a week, on an week average distance of 25 kms.
45 mns x 5 = 225 mns
225 mns / 25 kms = 9 mns/km = 6,6 km/h
Your speed could be quite good for endurance training but the duration is, IMHO, too short.
All sport studies I have read consider that weight loss and endurance gain are optimized OVER 45 mns of training and maximized about 1h30'.
So 1 hour 4 times a week would be much better than 45 mns 5 times a week.
You can find many 10km training plans on the web ... pick one that please you and go.

Health :
You will have a medical checkup this month and it's a good thing.
But you already can check your Rest Heartbeat Rate (just when you awaken and BEFORE standing up) and your Training Heartbeat Rate ... so if you dont have a heart rate monitor buying one could be a good idea (even a GPS one is cheaper than a REP).

Be carefull with your heart and health.
Wish you a good training and a good race.

Aaron97

28/6/16
Be carefull with your heart and health.
Wish you a good training and a good race.

Thanks for the info, but just to clarify, 260 lbs is 117 kg. I am not new to fitness, only new to the concept of running for fun. I spent half my life in military service, where running was something I did a LOT but did not enjoy doing it. During my teens to about 27, I rarely got over 185 and received the presidential fitness award for 10 straight years. But after military service, I got lazy and complacent, throw in marriage, two kids, fulltime career, online college classes and things quickly got out of control.

Last year my company transferred me to Cyprus, which I find to be pretty much the most boring place on earth, so I decided to take control and turn things around. What I didn't mention yet, is that in July I was 290 lbs./131 kg. So 12 weeks ago I change my diet, no junk, no fatty food, no excessive sugar/carbs (except for the Monster drink, which I have now quit too). I have weights at home, so I have always lifted consistently, but I started hitting the gym for weight loss purposes, started with 2 miles runs each day, without concern for time. Then I started pushing for 2 miles in 18 minutes, because that was the old military standard. Once I easily reached 2 miles in 18 minutes, I bumped it up to 5K, again without concern for time. Over a three week period, I focused on getting the 5K down to 30 minutes. Once I got that goal, I start pushing out for the 10K mark, but the elliptical I run on will only work for 65 minutes, so it took quit some time to reach 10K in 65 minutes. But 10K at that pace and resistance is still pretty tough, so as of right now, I run 5K Monday-Wednesday, then 10K on Thursday and Friday is 5K again, and still lift every day. This routine has gotten me down to 252.8 lbs. and I went from a size 44 to a 38 pants. Starting Monday, I will be bumping all days to at least 7.5K.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to break any records. I just want to be able to run the 10K without having to walk any of it. I think that if I could run the whole 10K, regardless of the pace, it will be a significant achievement for me. There are two guys at work that are also running in the marathon, one is doing the full and the other is doing the half.

trb1971

3/6/15
Ok, so I am thinking about joining in. One of the guys sent an office email out with details of an upcoming marathon, in March. So I was thinking, as a way to challenge myself, to set a goal of getting in shape enough to run in at least the 10K event and to actually participate in the event. Sign-up for the event has already started and its only € 24 + 10 for a shirt. It says they had 13,000 runners last year and its a relatively flat course.

Opinions, should I give it a shot? I'm 38, 260 lbs. and lazy. Despite my size, I wouldn't really say I eat bad, I don't like fast food or junk snacks, so really I just need to stop drinking those damned energy drinks (Monster) and become much more active.

I'd say cardio wise, I should be good since I already do 25K+ per week on elliptical machines with the difficulty turned up, so I just need to adapt and train those muscles for real running. What do you think, is 92 days enough time to prepare?

Here a link to the event if anyone is curious. http://www.limassolmarathon.com/index.php

I can see Manodeoro has already answered and my answer will be the same... Just do it.

I'm gonna jump straight into the 93 days to train question and answer it as an everyday overweight bloke who is built for comfort and not for speed.

So train to be able to complete the distance no matter what. Yes it will be awesome if you can do the whole distance running, but dont be defeated if you have to interval the distance. 9e.g. 10 mins running, 2 mins walking)
It is how I first tackle any new distance or hill etc. It gets the legs and you mentally used to completing that distance and exercising for a decent length of time.
It also doesn't put any pressure on you to run the full distance, it just means you can enjoy completing the challenge.

Keeping it fun and enjoyable means that when your better half looks at you over a beer, a couple of hours after you've just done a marathon and you body is moaning at you for doing it.
When she says, shall we do the half marathon on Jan 22 you just go "yeah that will be cool" :)
So just do it, we'll help, and we should be able to sort out a trading regime for you if you want one.
Most zero to hero type programs (e.g. couch to 10K) are between 12-16 weeks. So it is possible to do.

oh and yeah, dump those caffeine sugar filled drinks out full stop...and get a juicer of some variety.
I switched years ago, now I do banana smoothies consisting of 1-2 banana, some ice and milk and a spoon of peanut butter. They taste awesome are about 100 calories, better nutritionally then those energy drinks, AND they will give you way more energy for longer.
I love em. And it's easy to do something similar with a different fruit if bananas aren't your thing.

So I hope that helps, and if you wanna get started on training. (Don't put it off or you'll run out of time) start by getting a good 30 mins of brisk walking under your belt for at least 3 times this week.
Track it using something on your smartphone (if you don't have anything like a Garmin , and then get em up loaded.

Speak soon mate.

trb1971

3/6/15
Oh something else that might be...actually it will be useful when you are trying to trim a few pounds. And that is your BMR which is your bodies basal metabolic rate

It's based on age height weight etc, I've used this one before and there is more info on bmr as well:
http://www.iifym.com/bmr-calculator/

Once you you have that, you can use a food diary type app that calculates the calories you put in to your body every day.
It kind of shows up all those secret eating things everyone does and doesn't realise about, especially when they find they "plateau" on a diet.

A milky coffee here, maybe a sandwich with an extra slice of ham, or that can of monster. (beer is my downfall) things like that show up, and I found that I was trying to be competitive and eat better so I got my intake down.

I use myfitnesspal as I find it's good and it links up with things like garmins so your exercise is logged.

I seriously cannot physically eat enough fruit and veg to hit my BMR, but if I start off my day with something like a couple of bits of toast and jam for breakfast, maybe a couple of chocolate biscuits around 11, I find my total calorie intake figure looming very quickly and worst of all I'm still hungry.

So anyway the principle is, you now know how many calories your body needs to fuel it each day. You now know what your calorie intake is everyday (as long as you don't cheat it :) ) And you'll know how many calories your body burns when you exercise.

If fuel in, exceeds fuel burnt, you'll put on weight, if fuel burnt is more than fuel intake you'll loose weight.
It is simple and it works to motivate you.

I really do hope that this is helpful, and doesn't' came across as trying to teach you to suck eggs, as that is not what is intended. Its for anyone that might need a little bit of help.
Everyone knows they should eat healthily, not smoke etc, but we don't because...those little things give us pleasure, (putting addiction aside).
The extra info explained in this post, just shines a light on that and you can choose to use the info however you want.
For instance I LOVE a full English breakfast. But BOOM that is usually 1500 calories straight of the bat. So if I don't want to exceed my BMR for the day, I either have to cut something out and stick to fruit and veg, or I can do 2hrs of cardio to burn it off. The choice is whatever I want to do.

Hope me that is useful

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for the info, but just to clarify, 260 lbs is 117 kg. I am not new to fitness, only new to the concept of running for fun. I spent half my life in military service, where running was something I did a LOT but did not enjoy doing it. During my teens to about 27, I rarely got over 185 and received the presidential fitness award for 10 straight years. But after military service, I got lazy and complacent, throw in marriage, two kids, fulltime career, online college classes and things quickly got out of control.

Last year my company transferred me to Cyprus, which I find to be pretty much the most boring place on earth, so I decided to take control and turn things around. What I didn't mention yet, is that in July I was 290 lbs./131 kg. So 12 weeks ago I change my diet, no junk, no fatty food, no excessive sugar/carbs (except for the Monster drink, which I have now quit too). I have weights at home, so I have always lifted consistently, but I started hitting the gym for weight loss purposes, started with 2 miles runs each day, without concern for time. Then I started pushing for 2 miles in 18 minutes, because that was the old military standard. Once I easily reached 2 miles in 18 minutes, I bumped it up to 5K, again without concern for time. Over a three week period, I focused on getting the 5K down to 30 minutes. Once I got that goal, I start pushing out for the 10K mark, but the elliptical I run on will only work for 65 minutes, so it took quit some time to reach 10K in 65 minutes. But 10K at that pace and resistance is still pretty tough, so as of right now, I run 5K Monday-Wednesday, then 10K on Thursday and Friday is 5K again, and still lift every day. This routine has gotten me down to 252.8 lbs. and I went from a size 44 to a 38 pants. Starting Monday, I will be bumping all days to at least 7.5K.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to break any records. I just want to be able to run the 10K without having to walk any of it. I think that if I could run the whole 10K, regardless of the pace, it will be a significant achievement for me. There are two guys at work that are also running in the marathon, one is doing the full and the other is doing the half.

@Aaron97 ... First I think I must apologize for that "1lbs=2kg" :blush:

Concerning the "NO WALK" ... it's not always manadatory and one can even break a PB although walking sometimes.
You can have a look at Jeff Galloway's training plans, which are based on Run/Walk/Run.
Or google "Methode Cyrano" (if you read French only).
From my own experience I can say that walking about 1 mn (30s to 60s) each 2.5 kms is very healing for the muscles and metabolism, and helps to run faster and get better PBs.
I first tried that method during my second semi-marathon and I cut 10 mn off to my PB (1h58' to 1h48').
Of course my 2nd semi was 1 year after the 1st but I had not trained the whole year (very bad car crash and 4 months without any sport).
I did the same thing during my 2nd marathon, only 5 months after my 1st, and I cut 26 mns from my PB (4h24' to 1h58').
And I cut again 13 mns (3h58' to 3h45') 3 months later still walking about 1mn every 2.5 kms.
Of course that's only MY experience but I don't think I would run any race over 10 kms without walking now.

Aaron97

28/6/16
Thanks for the info guys. I also use the MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun apps.

So its official, I registered for the 10K event today.

I have a company Christmas party this Saturday, of which I know a lot of alcohol and a buffet will be involved. Sunday will be my grocery shopping day, and Monday I will start training.

trb1971

3/6/15
l
Thanks for the info guys. I also use the MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun apps.

So its official, I registered for the 10K event today.

I have a company Christmas party this Saturday, of which I know a lot of alcohol and a buffet will be involved. Sunday will be my grocery shopping day, and Monday I will start training.

Well done mate. What one are you doing ?

Oh and I know I've already said it, and even though your going to start training next week, but start doing some brisk walking this week 15-30 mins will do it. Just consider it prep for your training. Most systems will assume you can walk for 30-60 mins

So if you want something to start with next week. Couch to 10k would have you doing

Warm up of 5 mins walking then:
First run - Run for 1min then walk for 2 mins and do that 8 times with a 5 min cool down walk at the end.
Second run - Run for 1min then walk for 2 mins and do that 6 times with a 5 min cool down walk at the end.
Third run - Run for 1min then walk for 2 mins and do that 10 times with a 5 min cool down walk at the end.

If you haven't got any other plans in mind try that one.
more of it can be found here: http://www.myrunningtips.com/couch-to-10k.html

trb1971

3/6/15
As a side note, anyone got a training plan for a half marathon that is on Jan 22nd ?

Its for the missus

Thanks in advance

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
As a side note, anyone got a training plan for a half marathon that is on Jan 22nd ?

Its for the missus

Thanks in advance

6 weeks is a little short (8 would be best) but after her last race she's already trained.
We all know her PB on marathon ... 4h45' (sheers again) ... so :
- What are her PB on 10k and 5k ?
- How many sessions a week does she run ?.. 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 ?
- Which days can she have running sessions (M/T/W/T/F/S/S/)
- Does she (or you) can read French ?

trb1971

3/6/15
6 weeks is a little short (8 would be best) but after her last race she's already trained.
We all know her PB on marathon ... 4h45' (sheers again) ... so :
- What are her PB on 10k and 5k ?
- How many sessions a week does she run ?.. 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 ?
- Which days can she have running sessions (M/T/W/T/F/S/S/)
- Does she (or you) can read French ?

Thanks man :)
She does 4 sessions a week running. Usually Mon, Wed, long run on Thurs and a run on Saturday.
'There are also strength training sessions Monday morning, and Friday.

PB's for a 10k is about 52 mins, with a 5k about 25 (she hasn't done any specific 5 or 10k's for a long time)
And her French is very rusty whereas mine is non existent :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks man :)
She does 4 sessions a week running. Usually Mon, Wed, long run on Thurs and a run on Saturday.
'There are also strength training sessions Monday morning, and Friday.

PB's for a 10k is about 52 mins, with a 5k about 25 (she hasn't done any specific 5 or 10k's for a long time)
And her French is very rusty whereas mine is non existent :)

Seems her PB on marathon was sort of ... predictable (have a look at the pace board below) :wink:
And with such PBs and 4 sessions a week I'm not sure she really needs any help.
Plus her long run that is, IMHO, perfectly scheduled ... the day after a shorter session she runs with stressed/tired muscles ... perfect for endurance training.

Am I false if I bet she does interval training on Wednesday ?
If she does ... she could come here to give us some training advices.
Something like "How to train for a SUB 2:00 on semi-marathon" (I'm quite sure she can do 1h59' or less)

However ... I'll try to put something here for her tomorrow

mincus8

29/10/14
Any New Years resolutions?

I plan on running every single day in 2017! Even if it's just a mile :)
I live in Canada, which winters can be brutal and I just bought a precor treadmill! So on days where it's tough and cold I don't have to rave this said winter and enjoy it from the comfort of my wreckroom. Any other treadmill runners out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
My New Year's resolutions are :
1 - get my spine problem fixed end of January (my neurosurgeon is "good" ... hope she's good too)
2 - work on some watch mods for 12 long weeks
3 - walk and swim again in May
4 - hike again in July
5 - run again in September
6 - trail-run again in November
7 - if every thing goes very well ... I'd like to run the SainteLyon in December ... at least the 45km
8 - enjoy background skiing along the 2017/2018 winter season

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
Hmmm

aee781dc779adb3607d28dbe976a4598.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

trb1971

3/6/15
Phew thank god RWI is back, I nearly...NEARLY ended up purchasing a Casio :)

Erm I dontbhave any new years resolutions as such as I just do stuff as they come up, but I geuss I'd like to comfortably run marathon distances regulalrly this year and make it to an ultra , I'm just trying to decide which one.

Good luck woth yours Mincis8 and Manodeoro, I cant do treadmills, I just cant get the stimulus to keep going, having said that though I do use turbo trainwrs for the bike with a pc linked to it and that is fun.

@Jeane123 BEST IDEA EVER :)

trb1971

3/6/15
So it's the last day of 2016, and tbh I have done zero running for the last couple of weeks, it's been a busy time and it took us 72 hours to get back home as our flight we got diverted and delayed but that's long haul flying for you. That threw us off for a couple,of days, then Christmas blah blah blah.

So it's the last day of 2016, the last day of filling up with food, the last day of xmas TV and generally slothing about the house. Tomorrow we go back to normal and start again.

Now me an the better half are doing a plan to run a half in 3 weeks time, courtesy of @manodeoro (thanks mate), BUT I'm also,going to do runs like I am just starting running again and post them on here,
It'll be for anyone new to running, someone who may be looking to get fit as a new year resolution or something like that. So spread the word if you can

Oh and because it is a watch forum we ought to post some pics of watches as well. So watches in running gear pics ?

Anyway Happy New Years everyone, and see you all in 2017