• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Also it's always a good idea to have an assortment of gasket heights on hand when changing a crystal so you don't end up disappointed with the date magnification level. I always check that before pressing the crystal retaining ring back on.

Which crystal gasket should I use?

• Love
Reactions: Tijdwijzer

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Does he know that the crystal retaining ring has to be removed to both get the gasket out and to replace the crystal? Since that has to be done anyway, the stock gasket height can be measured. It's (inner) diameter would be gen-spec 29.5mm.

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap
Hi sir, thank you for the timely response. Pardon if this is a stupid question but I assume this is the crystal retaining ring right? (Highlighted in blue)

Reactions: flogtwo

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi sir, thank you for the timely response. Pardon if this is a stupid question but I assume this is the crystal retaining ring right? (Highlighted in blue)
Correct in your last pic. It needs to be lifted up and off. I show this in detailed pics in the thread I linked.

In your first pic you have the bezel circled. That's a Sub, its retaining ring does not have scallops and is two items down from the bezel.

ZVvlSb.jpg

ZVvQPi.jpg

Last edited:

JordanEleven

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/5/20
Hi everyone. My gmt CleanFactory DD3285 has just arrived but it has a problem with the movement, when the watch is stopped in its drawer it keeps time quietly while when I wear it after 5 minutes it stops and restarts only if I move the hands. (now it doesn't even activate anymore if I turn the hands, it's really stopped)
What could it be?
Thanks

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi everyone. My gmt CleanFactory DD3285 has just arrived but it has a problem with the movement, when the watch is stopped in its drawer it keeps time quietly while when I wear it after 5 minutes it stops and restarts only if I move the hands. (now it doesn't even activate anymore if I turn the hands, it's really stopped)
What could it be?
Thanks
Could be too many things to guess accurately bro. You said "when the watch is stopped in its drawer it keeps time quietly", you meant when it is immobile yes?

A watch that runs in some positions and not others usually has a balance issue and often it's a clogged, chipped, cracked or broken jewel. The balance staff can move freely on one end cap jewel but when it switches to the other it meets resistance. Could be dirt or congealed oil, etc or a physical defect.

Your watch should be looked at by someone who can properly diagnose and fix any issues - it may be something else entirely. I often start an issue like this by inspecting then cleaning the balance in One Dip and re-lubing the end cap jewels. Demagnetize it, re-seat it and see what you get. That has brought more than a few rep movements back to life. If no luck, you just have to start digging deeper.

JordanEleven

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/5/20
Potrebbero esserci troppe cose da indovinare con precisione fratello. Hai detto "quando l'orologio è fermo nel suo cassetto segna il tempo tranquillamente", intendevi quando è immobile sì?

Un orologio che gira in alcune posizioni e non in altre solitamente ha un problema di bilanciamento e spesso è un gioiello intasato, scheggiato, crepato o rotto. Il bastone dell'equilibrio può muoversi liberamente su un gioiello del cappuccio terminale, ma quando passa all'altro incontra resistenza. Potrebbe essere sporco o olio rappreso, ecc. o un difetto fisico.

Il tuo orologio dovrebbe essere esaminato da qualcuno in grado di diagnosticare e risolvere correttamente eventuali problemi: potrebbe essere qualcos'altro. Spesso inizio un problema come questo ispezionando, quindi pulendo la bilancia in One Dip e rilubrificando i gioielli del cappuccio terminale. Smagnetizzalo, riposizionalo e guarda cosa ottieni. Ciò ha riportato in vita più di pochi movimenti di ripetizioni. Se non hai fortuna, devi solo iniziare a scavare più a fondo.
Could be too many things to guess accurately bro. You said "when the watch is stopped in its drawer it keeps time quietly", you meant when it is immobile yes?

A watch that runs in some positions and not others usually has a balance issue and often it's a clogged, chipped, cracked or broken jewel. The balance staff can move freely on one end cap jewel but when it switches to the other it meets resistance. Could be dirt or congealed oil, etc or a physical defect.

Your watch should be looked at by someone who can properly diagnose and fix any issues - it may be something else entirely. I often start an issue like this by inspecting then cleaning the balance in One Dip and re-lubing the end cap jewels. Demagnetize it, re-seat it and see what you get. That has brought more than a few rep movements back to life. If no luck, you just have to start digging deeper.
In fact, there is little data to try to diagnose the problem. Yes, of course I meant when it is still. It arrived on Friday, I monitored it, keeping it in the drawer until today to see if it was keeping time, flawless. This morning I put it on at about 9.20, at 10.00 I realized that it had stopped at 9.24. So I tried to charge it, thinking it was an automatic charge problem, but nothing, it started (for another 3-4 minutes) after setting the time again. This evening, I tried to restart it but now it's completely stopped, it doesn't start anymore despite having "played" a bit with the hands.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In fact, there is little data to try to diagnose the problem. Yes, of course I meant when it is still. It arrived on Friday, I monitored it, keeping it in the drawer until today to see if it was keeping time, flawless. This morning I put it on at about 9.20, at 10.00 I realized that it had stopped at 9.24. So I tried to charge it, thinking it was an automatic charge problem, but nothing, it started (for another 3-4 minutes) after setting the time again. This evening, I tried to restart it but now it's completely stopped, it doesn't start anymore despite having "played" a bit with the hands.
If you can open the caseback you can look around for any loose parts or debris. Also examine the balance hairspring and the visible end cap jewel. If you have an air puffer you can attempt to free the balance of any hair, debris, loose screw etc., and then try to puff it into motion. Aside from that it will need to be looked at by someone with some skill to troubleshoot further.

Reactions: AG91

JordanEleven

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/5/20
If you can open the caseback you can look around for any loose parts or debris. Also examine the balance hairspring and the visible end cap jewel. If you have an air puffer you can attempt to free the balance of any hair, debris, loose screw etc., and then try to puff it into motion. Aside from that it will need to be looked at by someone with some skill to troubleshoot further.
I opened the case back, but everything seems to be fine. I noticed that when I close the crown (step before screwing it in) if I click against it I sometimes hear a strange click. Could it be that it's a load shaft defect? Maybe too short? For this nom manages to give the snap in such a way that the movement starts.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I opened the case back, but everything seems to be fine. I noticed that when I close the crown (step before screwing it in) if I click against it I sometimes hear a strange click. Could it be that it's a load shaft defect? Maybe too short? For this nom manages to give the snap in such a way that the movement starts.
A faulty balance stop could cause your symptoms and might create the abnormal stem clicking you're hearing.

The balance stop is the boomerang shaped lever at A. It is actuated by the sliding pinion on the stem at C, and engages the balance wheel to halt it at B.

3xzGgY.jpeg

You can try to see if the lever at B is moving onto and off the balance wheel as you go into and out of stem position 3. Use a small direct light and look past the balance in the direction of the stem.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

I have a maybe dumb quewtion: did you manual wind it about 30-40 times for max. Power reserve?

JordanEleven

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/5/20
A faulty balance stop could cause your symptoms and might create the abnormal stem clicking you're hearing.

The balance stop is the boomerang shaped lever at A. It is actuated by the sliding pinion on the stem at C, and engages the balance wheel to halt it at B.

3xzGgY.jpeg

You can try to see if the lever at B is moving onto and off the balance wheel as you go into and out of stem position 3. Use a small direct light and look past the balance in the direction of the stem.
Tomorrow I'm sending it to a watchmaker, I don't have much dexterity with mechanisms, I'm afraid I'll have to worsen the situation. Thanks for the advice Sir.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Tomorrow I'm sending it to a watchmaker, I don't have much dexterity with mechanisms, I'm afraid I'll have to worsen the situation. Thanks for the advice Sir.
All TD's change the clock if it doesn't work why don't you send it back? Who did you buy it from?

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

JordanEleven

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/5/20

3xzGgY.jpeg

This is the click that is heard when I try to close the crown

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I found a hair wrapped around one of my train wheels once that would stop the movement intermittently. Turning the hands got the wheel past the hair and all was well again... for a while. That was quite "hair raising" til I found it but an easy fix, hehe. Hope yours is something as simple like some gunk in the stem/sliding pinion/balance stop area.

If your watchmaker isn't familiar with the 32xx Rolex movements, you have to take the whole train bridge off to get to the stem area. There is no separate winding bridge like the 31xx movements have.

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Correct in your last pic. It needs to be lifted up and off. I show this in detailed pics in the thread I linked.

In your first pic you have the bezel circled. That's a Sub, its retaining ring does not have scallops and is two items down from the bezel.

ZVvlSb.jpg

ZVvQPi.jpg
Wanted to thank you for your advice. Watchmaker got everything disassembled.

Reactions: KJ2020

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Wanted to thank you for your advice. Watchmaker got everything disassembled.
However, the watchmaker should reassemble the crystal straight, by turning it clockwise

Reactions: leo6929