• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

aHero

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
What’s the best rep or aftermarket insert for a Clean Pepsi (BLRO)?
See the AE inserts I have here:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
The Pepsi looks amazing. I’ve always put off buying Rolex because I’ve always found it too flashy and only suits certain people. I’ve never considered myself one of those people as I’m in the military and it would just look out of place on me.

I think once I leave and get a traditional job this will be one of my first purchases. Absolutely class.

Just wondering - has anyone got any comments on the power reserve? I think I read somewhere that it has a 70 hour reserve which is on par with gen. Wondering if anyone can validate that. If that’s correct then that is bonkers to me. Best wishes to all that have received this watch and I hope you have many good times with it!

A solder with a Submariner or black bezel GMT would be totally appropriate. Thank you for your service BTW.
Yes the power reserve is close to gen. Around 65+ hours or so.

MrButterfield

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
8/12/14
A solder with a Submariner or black bezel GMT would be totally appropriate. Thank you for your service BTW.
From a US perspective…

Style-wise, absolutely.

Cost-wise, I’ve only ever seen retired military, who are now working as well-paid consultants or contractors, sporting wrist-wear at that level. Seeing enlisted, or even an officer, wearing a Rolex Sub might throw up red flags in more than one way (not only related to the legitimacy of the watch).

That’s not to say it’s 100% unheard of, just that it would raise eyebrows.

suited

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/23
United Kingdom
I’m in the British Army, we tend to be a little less conspicuous than our American counterparts. Garmins and Apple Watches seem to dominate our wrists.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Can anyone tell me if the DD 3285 movement will mount the DW gen plate?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
i would like to install it in my franken to solve the low date problem. Before putting the DW gen the date was perfectly centered

I will tell you this "discovery" I recently made with the DD3285 that might help. As you are installing the dial, lower the dial date side first at an angle, and carefully align the number in the window, then lower the opposite side but don't press it tightly into place yet. Look to see how the number is centered and if it's off, take a screwdriver and press the edge of the dial (where it overlaps the movement) to rotate it slightly. This can require quite a bit of pressure so be extremely careful not to slip and wreck your dial, and make damn sure your movement is secured tightly into a holder. I was able to rotate around .1 to .2mm to get the number centered, then I pressed it the rest of the way down. If yours is like mine, there's a very small amount of rotational play that you can use to your advantage.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I will tell you this "discovery" I recently made with the DD3285 that might help. As you are installing the dial, lower the dial date side first at an angle, and carefully align the number in the window, then lower the opposite side but don't press it tightly into place yet. Look to see how the number is centered and if it's off, take a screwdriver and press the edge of the dial (where it overlaps the movement) to rotate it slightly. This can require quite a bit of pressure so be extremely careful not to slip and wreck your dial, and make damn sure your movement is secured tightly into a holder. I was able to rotate around .1 to .2mm to get the number centered, then I pressed it the rest of the way down. If yours is like mine, there's a very small amount of rotational play that you can use to your advantage.
You can also just shave a tad off the leading edges of the date plate tabs with a dremel and a small cone grinder.

3SQjTR.jpeg

Of course rotating the dial will affect other things like the rehaut alignment, the crystal position, insert alignment, etc. so it all has to be coordinated and some juggling done. But in the end a small dial rotation can certainly be the best solution.

Last edited:

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
You can also just shave a tad off the leading edges of the date plate tabs with a dremel and a small cone grinder.

3SQjTR.jpeg

Of course rotating the dial will affect other things like the rehaut alignment, the crystal position, etc so it all has to be coordinated and some juggling done. But in the end a small dial rotation can certainly be the best solution.
Very impressive trouble shooting

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17

3SQjTR.jpeg

Of course rotating the dial will affect other things like the rehaut alignment, the crystal position, etc so it all has to be coordinated and some juggling done. But in the end a small dial rotation can certainly be the best solution.
Thanks my friend!
obviously the best thing is to have the date centered without rotating the dial, this will guarantee the alignment of everything else, including the rehaut. In my franken base VSF sub I solved the problem by simply installing a date gen clip. Now for the gmt I have both the gen clip and the gen plate as well as another gen DW, I'll try and let you know ;-) The goal is to center the date without rotating the gen dial.

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
I was planning to acquire a gen DW for my build as well, but after reading all of this extremely well documented technical exchange, I will keep CF DW as it is good enough and save the trouble 🔥

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks my friend!
obviously the best thing is to have the date centered without rotating the dial, this will guarantee the alignment of everything else, including the rehaut. In my franken base VSF sub I solved the problem by simply installing a date gen clip. Now for the gmt I have both the gen clip and the gen plate as well as another gen DW, I'll try and let you know ;-) The goal is to center the date without rotating the gen dial.
Commendable efforts bro, interested to see if the gen date plate (date indicator seating) corrects the issue. If not, I think adjusting everything else slightly clockwise with a tiny dial rotation would be easier to live with than a low sitting date every single day.

Failing all of that, I believe a gen DW can be made into a DWO to fit a true clone date plate. It would take some finesse but hey that's part of this game.

Gen or Gen-spec DW as a DWO

Reactions: Mark1937

big_polarbear

Captain SWAGddock
Patron
Certified
27/7/20
Sweden
Commendable efforts bro, interested to see if the gen date plate (date indicator seating) corrects the issue. If not, I think adjusting everything else slightly clockwise with a tiny dial rotation would be easier to live with than a low sitting date every single day.

Failing all of that, I believe a gen DW can be made into a DWO to fit a true clone date plate. It would take some finesse but hey that's part of this game.

Gen or Gen-spec DW as a DWO
An amazingly interesting technical thread, unfortunately the pictures got lost in the meantime😩

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Hi all, need a little help, @KJ2020 and others would be amazing.

Have a new DD3285 and Deep Crystal. Watch maker says that the stock gasket is too small and you need a bigger one.

Slightly confused because from what I read is that stock gasket should work fine.

Anyone know what to do? What gasket size to use? Any help would be great. Pics below.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Hi all, need a little help, @KJ2020 and others would be amazing.

Have a new DD3285 and Deep Crystal. Watch maker says that the stock gasket is too small and you need a bigger one.

Slightly confused because from what I read is that stock gasket should work fine.

Anyone know what to do? What gasket size to use? Any help would be great. Pics below.

Apologies, rather he said he can't remove the gasket without destroying it and wants to know what gasket to use. Does anybody know the height? 29.5x0.55mmx2.5mm is what I'm looking at

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Apologies, rather he said he can't remove the gasket without destroying it and wants to know what gasket to use. Does anybody know the height? 29.5x0.55mmx2.5mm is what I'm looking at
Does he know that the crystal retaining ring has to be removed to both get the gasket out and to replace the crystal? Since that has to be done anyway, the stock gasket height can be measured. It's (inner) diameter would be gen-spec 29.5mm.

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

Last edited:
Reactions: derjenigewelcher