• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

ihavedrainbamage

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/23
USA
Received my Pepsi the other day but out of the box I'm having issues with the crown. I can both hear and feel the thing always winding the watch prior to reaching position 1. This isn't a big deal until the watch is full wound - then it becomes damn near impossible to even rotate. Anyone else run into this issue? Dealer (who will remain unnamed) offered to cover part of the cost of service in the form of a discount next time (there won't be a next time) so I'm stuck repairing a brand new watch and knowing the root cause would be a great help.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Received my Pepsi the other day but out of the box I'm having issues with the crown. I can both hear and feel the thing always winding the watch prior to reaching position 1. This isn't a big deal until the watch is full wound - then it becomes damn near impossible to even rotate. Anyone else run into this issue? Dealer (who will remain unnamed) offered to cover part of the cost of service in the form of a discount next time (there won't be a next time) so I'm stuck repairing a brand new watch and knowing the root cause would be a great help.
It’s not the dealer’s fault of course. Whether they can do better for you in this situation is another argument.
There is a certain amount of risk involved playing the rep game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Watchmakers are booked solid for months because of failures of Chinese clones. The bad news is you’ll likely have to have your watch serviced. The good news is it should be fixable.

Reactions: CTime

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Probably an incorrect stem length. A watch when worn will never usually be at full wind, so take it off for a few hours if you need to set the time. If you don’t need to set the time stop messing around with the crown - you don’t need to.

Reactions: Luiki and CTime

ihavedrainbamage

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/4/23
USA
Probably an incorrect stem length. A watch when worn will never usually be at full wind, so take it off for a few hours if you need to set the time. If you don’t need to set the time stop messing around with the crown - you don’t need to.
That was my guess based on hours of research until I realized that I'm an idiot. There was just a bunch of crap gunking up the crown threads. Took an old electric toothbrush to it and now it threads in and out much better than before. Not quite VSF quality, but at least it's operable now. There's still a metallic creaking that you can feel and hear when getting the crown in and out of the case (which is why I thought the watch was still being wound), but I'm assuming that this has something to do with the spring. Annoying but tolerable. Hopefully this will help someone else out down the road.

Reactions: Neon and CTime