• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Think I can just buy a 2nd submariner 40mm bracelet from a TD that would be brushed already? It's all 20mm right?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Think I can just buy a 2nd submariner 40mm bracelet from a TD that would be brushed already? It's all 20mm right?
It's not always a sure thing when you try to swap bracelets around. Many times you can get an acceptable result but there are no exact standards among factories regarding end link height and contours or lug detent positions. 126x Subs have a 21mm lug width so those are out.

I've swapped dozens of bracelets around and it's really hit or miss. Best bet I think for a CLEAN GMT would be a CLEAN or ARF 116x Sub bracelet. ARF bracelets were well known for a long time as being the most compatible with other factory reps.

These are all Noob parts.

15753497204043.jpg

This is a JF 16610 bracelet on a Noob 126710

3fuZBL.jpeg

You can test fit a bracelet without springbars and tell whether or not it's going to work by examining the SEL fit to the case and the lug detent alignment with the springbar hole. If you have any Sub bracelets, try those and if one works order another like it. New unwrapped top tier bracelets are easily sold M2M if one you buy doesn't work.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro, I am building my franken...gen Crystal with 2.73 gasket is perfect I think....

I'd have to do a collage with a gen bro but the 2.73 (probably really a 2.70 unless you shaved a taller one down) looks good to me.

The other one is noticeably too small to my eye.

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I'd have to do a collage with a gen bro but the 2.73 (probably really a 2.70 unless you shaved a taller one down) looks good to me.

2.73 is a gen gasket I had, 2.67 instead is the actual measurement of a 2.70 clark gasket. The new GMTs often have different magnifications, some with a smaller date…

Reactions: KJ2020

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17

in the end I chose a 2.80 gen gasket

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
2.73 is a gen gasket I had, 2.67 instead is the actual measurement of a 2.70 clark gasket. The new GMTs often have different magnifications, some with a smaller date…
I've gotten some slightly varying measurements at times with gaskets too. It can depend on your tool calibration, how hard you compress it, the batch of the gasket, etc. That's why it's so important to take each install individually and assess the results carefully.

I have also seen some different magnification levels in the new GMTs. It may be that there was a slight change with the full AR crystals from the previous cyclops AR only ones. A slightly thinner crystal or shorter gasket would result in a smaller looking date window and date numeral even if 2.5X mag was retained.

Here is an example. A 2018 116719 (black dial, AR cyclops only) and a 2022 126719 (blue dial full AR). BTW this blue dial sample is crazy gorgeous since now the insert blue matches the dial so well. Previous inserts were a color mismatch which was a real dealbreaker.

You can tell straight away the blue dial date window and numeral look smaller, but let's look closer.

3F3aF3.jpeg

3F3m2s.jpeg

So you know the drill - first match the scale using the cyclops edges

3F3Wln.jpeg

Then slide one image around and match up the date windows. It's easy to see the blue dial date window and numeral are smaller.

3F3UWE.jpeg

Of course this is just one example but I've seen it in other pics. So it does give us more leeway to pick a size we like. I prefer the slightly larger look, like you got on your Batman.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I've gotten some slightly varying measurements at times with gaskets too. It can depend on your tool calibration, how hard you compress it, the batch of the gasket, etc. That's why it's so important to take each install individually and assess the results carefully.

I have also seen some different magnification levels in the new GMTs. It may be that there was a slight change with the full AR crystals from the previous cyclops AR only ones. A slightly thinner crystal or shorter gasket would result in a smaller looking date window and date numeral even if 2.5X mag was retained.

Here is an example. A 2018 116719 (black dial, AR cyclops only) and a 2022 126719 (blue dial full AR). BTW this blue dial sample is crazy gorgeous since now the insert blue matches the dial so well. Previous inserts were a color mismatch which was a real dealbreaker.

You can tell straight away the blue dial date window and numeral look smaller, but let's look closer.

3F3aF3.jpeg

3F3m2s.jpeg

So you know the drill - first match the scale using the cyclops edges

3F3Wln.jpeg

Then slide one image around and match up the date windows. It's easy to see the blue dial date window and numeral are smaller.

3F3UWE.jpeg

Of course this is just one example but I've seen it in other pics. So it does give us more leeway to pick a size we like. I prefer the slightly larger look, like you got on your Batman.
Bro I think clark 2.70 it's perfect. What do you think?

3FWsbD.jpeg

Reactions: Neon

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro I think clark 2.70 it's perfect. What do you think?

3FWsbD.jpeg
Size wise that looks great to me.

Set scale
3FaLUp.jpeg

Slide date windows to line up.
3FaeQ5.jpeg

But what crystal is that!? There is distortion. Both horizontal date window edges appear to bow inward in the middle and the right edge has a ghost image that makes the edge look rough. I noticed this in your previous pic - it's even more apparent with the shorter gasket.

3fkTzj.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Yesterday I received my new Clean Factory GMT-II Master II 126710 BLRO Oyster with DD3285 movement. It's awesome. The bracelet is a litte squeaky but I'm sure that it will wear in nicely.
Baby oil bath and problem fixed. Let it sit overnight and then wash it off in the sink with some soap and it will be buttery smooth and quiet!

Mavriff

Horology Curious
27/5/23
NYC
I received my GMT Master II 126710 BLNR with DD3285 today as well. Took it straight to a Dead & Co. Show. The wait has been about a month, and it has been a great first day on the wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnomon and Tiger4