• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean new GMT with DD3285 QC pics and video release [finally]

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is the result obtained with gen car V1 crystal and Clark 2.70 gasket on CF V1 case. As you can see both the protrusion of the crystal (from the full gen bezel with gen assembly parts) and the magnification of the cyclops lens are perfect. Now we'll see if the Clark 2.70 gasket will be so perfect on the new CF case with the gen GMT glass, the new double A/R reference, in the meantime I'll measure the gen gasket in the blister to see how tall it is...

Such a beautiful piece!

It's worth noting that CF has used different thickness (height) bezels and crystals in their production. So these factors can also affect what gasket height yields the optimal look.

The V2 has a quite thin crystal at 1.60mm so anyone putting in a gen crystal should have an assortment of crystal gaskets on hand to test out the best result. I take pics and do side-by-side collages before deciding on the final combo.

These were some combos I tried, also tried a Sub gen crystal which is 2.0mm thick. The gen GMT is 1.80mm, CF V1 is 1.70mm. The CF V1 has a thicker bezel.

Top number is crystal thickness, bottom number is gasket height. Left pic is stock CF V1

jpTPXP.jpg

jpTCqJ.jpg

jpTpZo.jpg

jpTQsk.jpg

jPftqW.jpg

jPfn9o.jpg

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Ended up painting just the 8 on my bezel as a half measure. It always looks so dark so the paint does brighten it up, but then I left the rest of the plating alone as I do think the consistency of the smooth finish on the plated areas is a bigger thing for me than having all of the numbers look identical. Honestly just doing the 8 gets the bezel much better in my eyes so i'm not constantly looking down and seeing a dark 8 staring me in the face.

Here's praying the Viemo embed works:

Some sunlight/shade photos showing the painted 8 in different lighting. It's my happy medium fix for now.

gtageek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/23
Los Angeles
Ended up painting just the 8 on my bezel as a half measure. It always looks so dark so the paint does brighten it up, but then I left the rest of the plating alone as I do think the consistency of the smooth finish on the plated areas is a bigger thing for me than having all of the numbers look identical. Honestly just doing the 8 gets the bezel much better in my eyes so i'm not constantly looking down and seeing a dark 8 staring me in the face.

Here's praying the Viemo embed works:

Some sunlight/shade photos showing the painted 8 in different lighting. It's my happy medium fix for now.
What did you paint it with?

Tiger4

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/1/21
Gentlemen, need some assistance. Received QC and noticed the 6 o’clock white stick marker appear crooked and not fully aligned.

Can anyone confirm if it’s misaligned or is it just the lighting/photo angle? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Gentlemen, need some assistance. Received QC and noticed the 6 o’clock white stick marker appear crooked and not fully aligned.

Can anyone confirm if it’s misaligned or is it just the lighting/photo angle? Thanks in advance

Yes, ask TD to change

Reactions: Tiger4 and KJ2020

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Does anyone know if the Clean 41mm subs can take gen gasket with gen crystal ? Or does a Clark crystal need to be purchased to get magnification and height right?

BrunoInNorCal

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/23
California
Excellent! Tell me details of the Frankened movement. It's a simple question but your level of detail in the answer just might lead to a new commission from me.

I'm especially interested in bars of water resistance, if any, and the technique; bezel and crystal swap if any; and gaskets and springs and silicone grease and adhesive and hytrel ring, if any.

If this was for a client, please comment on the turnaround and if client provided the parts.

Thanks!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Excellent! Tell me details of the Frankened movement. It's a simple question but your level of detail in the answer just might lead to a new commission from me.

I'm especially interested in bars of water resistance, if any, and the technique; bezel and crystal swap if any; and gaskets and springs and silicone grease and adhesive and hytrel ring, if any.

If this was for a client, please comment on the turnaround and if client provided the parts.

Thanks!

It's my own watch. The gen parts are: train bridge, escape wheel, pallet fork, mainspring & barrel, balance & bridge, and auto wind system. Today I installed a gen oyster bracelet which I brushed because I don't like polished center links.

Water resistance is a total crapshoot with CF GMTs. Some fail miserably using whatever parts you install. I've had two blow up in my pressure tester. On this one I used UV glue on the crystal gasket to make it watertight.

Last edited:

cyprusdaedalus

Wannabe Watchmaker
Certified
16/4/22
Making me want to do a brushed oyster now... I sold my Oyster 3285 cuz I thought I would go back to Jubilee for less scratchiness prone with the polished links. Didn't think about just brushing the bracelet...