• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Re-Releases 5-Digit Submariners with VR3135

hollywoodrollie

Getting To Know The Place
12/12/23
So I popped the bezel with a knife and it came off with the crystal attached to it, lol :LOL:
I was able to separate the insert and now I have the bezel and crystal partially installed - couldn't get it to pop back in by hand only. I need to order a cheap press to reinstall the crystal and fully seat the bezel. If I'm successful I'll try to replace the insert with the new Horlogear.

Wish me luck, haha

mrsullivan

Pink Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
These latest releases are showing a gen-spec crystal retaining ring so that means a full height gasket. The previous batches had a retaining ring that was built into the case with a very short height gasket.

With the older cases you have to use the stock gasket as it is proprietary. With the newer ones you can use the stock gasket if it's still in good shape or any gen-spec gasket that gives your new crystal the desired height and date mag.
That's good news, I have a gen crystal on its way for my incoming 16613LN, we'll see how it fits 👌😉

Reactions: flashu and KJ2020

watcher009

Known Member
12/12/17
These latest releases are showing a gen-spec crystal retaining ring so that means a full height gasket. The previous batches had a retaining ring that was built into the case with a very short height gasket.

With the older cases you have to use the stock gasket as it is proprietary. With the newer ones you can use the stock gasket if it's still in good shape or any gen-spec gasket that gives your new crystal the desired height and date mag.

Which crystal gasket should I use?
Got it. Thank you so much for your detailed answers

dk2852

2/2/22
Amazing writeup by @Nur-Uhr

I’m aligned with your assessment but find the 16618 gold color to be a tad pale vs GEN. The TT however is perfect.

Anyway I like the blue BP dial so much that I have the GOLD COLORED Submariner 16618 with blue dial inbound as well.

Awaiting QCs

Same here. I love the bluesy, and finally pulled the trigger on this one. It's my first gold rep of any kind. Only question is should I replace the dial with gen? I see tritium dials cheap, but getting the proper "Swiss Made" dial is at least $500

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Same here. I love the bluesy, and finally pulled the trigger on this one. It's my first gold rep of any kind. Only question is should I replace the dial with gen? I see tritium dials cheap, but getting the proper "Swiss Made" dial is at least $500
No dial is great ! Maybe replating the watch imho is the only thing needed .

Last edited:
Reactions: dk2852

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
So I popped the bezel with a knife and it came off with the crystal attached to it, lol :LOL:
I was able to separate the insert and now I have the bezel and crystal partially installed - couldn't get it to pop back in by hand only. I need to order a cheap press to reinstall the crystal and fully seat the bezel. If I'm successful I'll try to replace the insert with the new Horlogear.

Wish me luck, haha

This means old bezel/case construction !

hollywoodrollie

12/12/23
On the case side I have the spring & ball clicks.

Is there an explanation anywhere of how it's all put together?
Should I try and press the whole bezel + crystal assembly on the case or should I separate the crystal from the bezel (and how)?

Thanks!

Reactions: johnlogan

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15

Should I try and press the whole bezel + crystal assembly on the case or should I separate the crystal from the bezel (and how)?

Thanks!
I would try tro press the bezel down with the Xtal attached, once don I would press the Xtal down only to secure it.. You will need the press for this operation.
This also means the watch is not waterproof under any circumstances...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nah bro here's a pic from @analogwailer

You can see the separate retaining ring inside the bezel. This is basically a 6 digit construction with a 5 digit bezel. Arguably better than gen 5 digit construction.

HE7HmY.jpeg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Thanks!
Since this is essentially a 6 digit construction, you should have a look at this thread

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Measure the rehaut opening on your new batch sample before buying a gen dial for it.

See this post for why.

Reactions: dk2852

hollywoodrollie

12/12/23
Since this is essentially a 6 digit construction, you should have a look at this thread

Ah... I see. So the gasket is sandwiched between the metal ring and the crystal. Okay, in my case I just need to replace the bezel insert so I think I should leave the crystal + ring + gasket assembly the way it is.

So to put it all together again:
1. press the crystal back on to the case
2. press the bezel on top
3. install the insert at the end

Am I missing anything?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ah... I see. So the gasket is sandwiched between the metal ring and the crystal. Okay, in my case I just need to replace the bezel insert so I think I should leave the crystal + ring + gasket assembly the way it is.

So to put it all together again:
1. press the crystal back on to the case
2. press the bezel on top
3. install the insert at the end

Am I missing anything?
It is often too difficult to press that combination over the outer rehaut without damaging the gasket. You can try it but be careful about forcing it. Normally the gasket goes over the rehaut (the case raised ring) first, then the crystal is fitted. Or the crystal can be fitted to the gasket and that combo goes over the rehaut. But in both cases, normally the retaining ring goes over the seated crystal and gasket last. This allows for the gasket to seat fully and without damage in full view.

Be sure to check that your bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is fully seated in its groove. Adding a thin coat of silicone grease on it will help with the bezel install. Note that you can actually seat the bezel first then fit your existing crystal/gasket/retaining ring combo inside the seated bezel AND outside the outer rehaut if the combo will go over the rehaut easily enough. This keeps you from having to overcome the retaining ring's bevelled outer lip with the bezel gasket if the bezel is pressed last. But with reps, the retaining ring fit is not always easy so this method is not often used.

Last edited:

hollywoodrollie

12/12/23
It is often too difficult to press that combination over the outer rehaut without damaging the gasket. You can try it but be careful about forcing it. Normally the gasket goes over the rehaut (the case raised ring) first, then the crystal is fitted. Or the crystal can be fitted to the gasket and that combo goes over the rehaut. But in both cases, normally the retaining ring goes over the seated crystal and gasket last. This allows for the gasket to seat fully and without damage in full view.

Be sure to check that your bezel gasket (hytrel ring) is fully seated in its groove. Adding a thin coat of silicone grease on it will help with the bezel install. Note that you can actually seat the bezel first then fit your existing crystal/gasket/retaining ring combo inside the seated bezel AND outside the outer rehaut if the combo will go over the rehaut easily enough. This keeps you from having to overcome the retaining ring's bevelled outer lip with the bezel gasket if the bezel is pressed last. But with reps, the retaining ring fit is not always easy so this method is not often used.
Thank you for the detailed write-up! I guess the challenge is to find a suitable retaining ring die or improvize something. I don't have a rep explorer 2 bezel handy :) any ideas where I could source one or what else could be used in place?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you for the detailed write-up! I guess the challenge is to find a suitable retaining ring die or improvize something. I don't have a rep explorer 2 bezel handy :) any ideas where I could source one or what else could be used in place?
You can use any fixed metal bezel that is made to fit a 29.5mm crystal and double as a crystal retaining ring. For example a fluted or smooth bezel from a 36mm datejust or day-date. These can be found on AliExpress.

If you want to make your own, take the retaining ring to a hardware or big box store and find a pipe (thin wall metal or PVC) that has slightly larger inside diameter. Cut off about a 2" piece then cut a slit in it and remove a small perpendicular section. Use a hose clamp or zip ties to close the slit. It can be spot welded or epoxied (if PVC) or just used clamped.

Alternately two long cuts can be made on opposite sides (cut the pipe in half lengthwise), and material removed by sanding on a flat surface. Then clamp or adhere the halves together. Neatness doesn't count and it's only the inner diameter that matters.

A vise is best when using a taller die like this would be.

jwxfgX.jpg

jwxR4c.jpg

Last edited:

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
You can use any fixed metal bezel that is made to fit a 29.5mm crystal and double as a crystal retaining ring. For example a fluted or smooth bezel from a 36mm datejust or day-date. These can be found on AliExpress.

If you want to make your own, take the retaining ring to a hardware or big box store and find a pipe (thin wall metal or PVC) that has slightly larger inside diameter. Cut off about a 2" piece then cut a slit in it and remove a small perpendicular section. Use a hose clamp or zip ties to close the slit. It can be spot welded or epoxied (if PVC) or just used clamped. A vise is best when using a taller die like this would be.

jwxfgX.jpg

jwxR4c.jpg