• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Released Clean 3285 Movement(from Dandong) Compared With GEN and Shanghai 3285 Movement

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
So talking about moral and copying designs in this industry is kind of riddiculous no?;) if CLEAN are the honorable knights of design keeping, whats Rolex SA then?;)
In that case, what’s the meaning of RWI? Is it appropriate to despise rep factory in a rep forum?

Every industry should be respected, if it is upgraded and innovated on the achievements of others, then it is successful. Such as the 4130 movement, or AR bracelet, or clean green ceramic bezel, such landmark replicas. But if it is just blindly stealing, I think it is immoral. And of course we're talking about more than just Chinese reproduction of watches, it's human nature.

We are not proud of Chinese copying. After all, China is a developing country and copying is one way to become a developed country. This acquiescence applies to all kinds of industries and prospects.

Maybe it's not impossible to work behind closed doors, but if you have time, you can read about the Chinese history of Qing Dynasty. I thought you might be enlightened.

At last, don't take this too serious and personal, after all we are just one small screw of this big country. If love, love deeply.(does this make any sense and sorry for my poor English)

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
I bought a 3285 clone from a Chinese contact a month ago, I perceived a high quality of materials, I would say that to me it looks exactly like a movement made from VS3235 then transformed into gmt 3285. I can tell you with certainty that this movement I bought accepts bridge and balance wheel gen. you will see many things that this movement has in common with VSF such as the quality of the engravings and the classic serial.

From what I see, this movement I bought is different from what is presented here and from what I see on Jtime
This must be the SH3285 then?

SEIKOSENSEI

Getting To Know The Place
24/7/22
USA
@CTime should we still expect rumored GMT master from VSF? Your first post is not clear if Dandong 3285 is going to be a clean exclusive or not.

Reactions: Samgobigs

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Banned
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
This must be the SH3285 then?

if I remember correctly, this is a VSF serial, but I don't have the technical skills to distinguish one factory from another, I can only talk about the sensations of when I saw it. I bought it just out of curiosity, I gave it to a friend who mixed the movement with gen parts and he was very happy with it

JuanSB

Getting To Know The Place
26/10/15
Hi Ctime,

i love your content and will become a customer in the future!
How is the bezel movement feel on these new GMT models?

The way that the GEN bezel moves feels really nice and I wonder if Clean got a bit closer to this feel now.
In the earlier batches this was always very bad and I hope that they fixed it now.

Clean bezels were known to be overgreased and moving it felt very cheap. Any noticeable improvements?

CTime

Renowned Member
Trusted Dealer
29/9/22
Guangzhou, China
Hi Ctime,

i love your content and will become a customer in the future!
How is the bezel movement feel on these new GMT models?

The way that the GEN bezel moves feels really nice and I wonder if Clean got a bit closer to this feel now.
In the earlier batches this was always very bad and I hope that they fixed it now.

Clean bezels were known to be overgreased and moving it felt very cheap. Any noticeable improvements?
Yes my friend, they have noticed this and updated on new GMT, now it's clicking tighter!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I have one on the way to me, I will be able to tell you first hand soon enough.

Who else has any points they would like me to specifically look at when the watch arrives?

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway

Who else has any points they would like me to specifically look at when the watch arrives?
If you could do an x-ray fluorescence or optical emission spectroscopy to find out the alloy composition that would be awesome 👍

(Joking of course)

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
If you could do an x-ray fluorescence or optical emission spectroscopy to find out the alloy composition that would be awesome 👍

(Joking of course)
Actually, we used to have a member who could do just that. There were some "interesting" results.

Reactions: CTime

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I bought a 3285 clone from a Chinese contact a month ago, I perceived a high quality of materials, I would say that to me it looks exactly like a movement made from VS3235 then transformed into gmt 3285. I can tell you with certainty that this movement I bought accepts bridge and balance wheel gen. you will see many things that this movement has in common with VSF such as the quality of the engravings and the classic serial.

From what I see, this movement I bought is different from what is presented here and from what I see on Jtime

I think this has to be an SH3285 bro, for several reasons.

3m9plo.jpg

- SH stud screws are on the side of the stud. Where VS/DD (and VR too) has used stud screws they are on the end of the stud (see red dots in pics above).

- SH routes the hairspring anti-clockwise from the stud, VS/DD routes the hairspring clockwise from the stud.

- SH is the only other "true clone" 3285 known to exist. There have been some slight variations in these SH3285s, including starting out as a 3186 engraved as a 3285.

That the SH takes some gen parts is good, but pretty much every SH part is clearly inferior to the DD parts, as @CTime's excellent pics show.

@Mark1937

Last edited:

Clarkent

SuperfranKent®️
Banned
Certified
12/9/19
Smallville
I think this has to be an SH3285 bro, for several reasons.

3m9plo.jpg

- SH stud screws are on the side of the stud. Where VS/DD has used stud screws they are on the end of the stud (see red dots in pics above).

- SH routes the hairspring anti-clockwise from the stud, VS/DD routes the hairspring clockwise from the stud.

- SH is the only other "true clone" 3285 known to exist. There have been some slight variations in these SH3285s, including starting out as a 3186 engraved as a 3285.

That the SH takes some gen parts is good, but pretty much every SH part is clearly inferior to the DD parts, as @CTime's excellent pics show.

@Mark1937
Perfect bro! very good, thank you!

Reactions: CTime and KJ2020

SaiyanSaiyanNoMi

Failing Upwards
Supporter
Certified
19/7/18
Any idea how the date jumper will be in comparison to a VR3185 movement?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Any idea how the date jumper will be in comparison to a VR3185 movement?
If you are asking about hour hand jumping, that is a function of the jump click, which is very different from 3185 to 3285.

3185 jump click design causes hands wobble during hour jumping even on gen. Part is ultra reliable rep and gen.
zVs5ZJ.jpg

3285 jump click has no hands wobble rep or gen. Rep part reliability is yet to be determined. Like the 3185, this part should be replaceable by a gen part.
3m6FqX.jpg

The DD3285 part looks sturdy. The SH3285 part not so much.

The 3186 part is similar and was the SH3186's Achilles heel. The VR3186 isn't really a 3186 and has the robust 3185 part which is why it is a good movement.

Last edited:

SaiyanSaiyanNoMi

Failing Upwards
Supporter
Certified
19/7/18
If you are asking about hour hand jumping, that is a function of the jump click, which is very different from 3185 to 3285.

3185 jump click design causes hands wobble during hour jumping even on gen. Part is ultra reliable rep and gen.
zVs5ZJ.jpg

3285 jump click has no hands wobble rep or gen. Rep part reliability is yet to be determined. Like the 3185, this part should be replaceable by a gen part.
3m6FqX.jpg

The DD part looks sturdy. The 3186 part is similar and was the SH3186's Achilles heel. The VR3186 isn't really a 3186 and has the robust 3185 part which is why it is a good movement.
That's what I was looking for. Might just stick with the 3185 then vs the better PR

Reactions: KJ2020

derjenigewelcher

Watch enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland

Hi Trailboss
When it arrives I would love to see some information about:

- Speedbumps (The photos we see st the dealers homepages until know dont look very good...)
- bezel click compared to overgreased GMT Masters from the past/present
- Has winding issue from Base VS3235 been fixed before adding GMT Module or is crownwheel still slipping through when wound fully?

Thats would be great if you could give some insights

watchgil

Patron
Certified
7/7/14
Finally a GMT movement from Dunkin’ Donuts 🤣 Congratulations @CTime for the amazing photoshoot!

Reactions: CTime