• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Ebay 1:1 16710 Case Review

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
@KJ2020 Speaking of case refinishing here are some pics of a gen '89 Coke and a '99 Pepsi. Is the difference of case shape based on age or re-polishing? I really like the look of the more rounded sides of the Coke. I have a gen '99 16700 and mine is more like the Coke.

My hope is to shoot for making the case more like the '89 Coke and my 16700.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I have not tried yet bro but am going to order a gen-spec set to try first (5330/603).
Let me know which one you go with as I'm after the same, didn't find Gen spec 24-5330 tubes in my searches though..🤔 I need one to fit my Gen 604 crown

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 Speaking of case refinishing here are some pics of a gen '89 Coke and a '99 Pepsi. Is the difference of case shape based on age or re-polishing? I really like the look of the more rounded sides of the Coke. I have a gen '99 16700 and mine is more like the Coke.

My hope is to shoot for making the case more like the '89 Coke and my 16700.

Bro that '89 Coke has been polished - a lot.

That's what I was talking about in my OP with regard to the CG's. They can end up looking very different with polishing.

In fact it looks like that '99 Pepsi has been polished some too.

Here's my unpolished 1989 in the top slides next to those pics. You can see the original CG thickness, height and shape differs from both of those.

z7Pen2.jpg

z7P2RF.jpg

z7PLht.jpg

z7PhQ5.jpg

So you can find all kinds of gen examples and just use one as your template or adjust from one how you like it. I like the CGs as they are on this Ebay case. I always thought the original gen CGs were a little chunky for the slim crown.

Chunk-kay CGs, haha. Hated the non-AR cyclops crystal too, that had to go.
16681050084592.jpg

Last edited:

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
The CGs aren’t my concern I like them the way they are. It’s the rounded nature of the chamfers and the side case I’m interested in softening and height reducing. Is that done with light sanding?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The CGs aren’t my concern I like them the way they are. It’s the rounded nature of the chamfers and the side case I’m interested in softening and height reducing. Is that done with light sanding?
Ah OK, Yes you can do it with sanding. That will take the longest time but is also the safest approach since any mistakes made will be small. Some people use files or even dremel tools like with little grinders or sanding drums. There are plenty of members here who can make a case look crazy good. I am no expert case modder, I take the slow and careful approach.

When the case sides are brought in the outer CGs will have to be blended in and the CG heights will have to be be lessened if you reduce overall height to keep everything proportional. You can see that was done on the two GMTs you posted.

I did one case like you are talking about with a dremel sanding drum on the outside of the CGs. I used a variable speed drill so I could slow the speed way down, and I practiced first on a junk case.

The case was an LF V2 16710 that had some unusual features. It is really almost a 6 digit case but has a 5 digit bezel. It also had rehaut engraving which no 5 digit GMT ever had. So after it arrived I was like "Wow what was I thinking" (this was way early in my rep experience) and I knew I could never use it as a 16710.

It sat for a long time while I tried to figure out a use for it. I shaved off the rehaut engraving and softened the curve on the outer CGs with slow speed sanding drum and made a fantasy DSSD. The drum takes material off much faster, you just kind of roll the piece along, barely touching the 600 grit drum. Same way that I've grinded SELs down to gain more recess.

z7ufvb.jpg

z7uSY5.jpg

z7ubVt.jpg

Taking this much material off by just sanding would take a really long time.
z7vAiP.jpg

Before CG mod
z7NneW.jpg

After CG mod
z7u0kF.jpg

z7uGzp.jpg

No doubt you could learn some things from @lawlessflyer 's modding of ST 16610 cases.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Let me know which one you go with as I'm after the same, didn't find Gen spec 24-5330 tubes in my searches though..🤔 I need one to fit my Gen 604 crown
I can't say firsthand if this will fit the Ebay case but here is one

Anyone else know?

@CarpetRyd
@mandipan

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
I can't say firsthand if this will fit the Ebay case but here is one

Anyone else know?

@CarpetRyd
@mandipan

Whoa! I appreciate the nod, but I’m letting you guys figure this one out.

ST has them and their tubes haven’t really let me down in the past, but an order just for a tube? Shipping will be more!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Whoa! I appreciate the nod, but I’m letting you guys figure this one out.

ST has them and their tubes haven’t really let me down in the past, but an order just for a tube? Shipping will be more!
I bought a crown & tube set from ST for my 1601 DJ franken build using Gen case and it did not fit and now tried it on this ebay case with no luck..

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I ended up buying this tube off the bay

I guess it comes with metal gasket ring?🤔 this is new to me..

I'll be pairing this with gen 604 crown will post updates here 👇

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
Yeah the tube for my viet caseset came with that metal washer - assume it’s like a crush washer that fits between the tube and case - idk…

Only need to go to 100m…

Reactions: Perpetual

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Amazing work mate! Thanks very much for the time and effort you put into this. Very informative and detailed! My hat is way off.
Well Done Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Reactions: Perpetual

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
For those interested in using this case for a 16610 build, the dial seat is right at 27.3mm. So a rep 16610 dial is not likely going to fit unless there is room outside the minute tics to shave it down some.

ETA rep dials are generally around 28.5mm, both these BP 3135 dials are ~27.8mm with insufficient room outside the tics to shave enough off.

I had previously shaved this junk Hulk dial down to 27.3mm and it fit fine though more careful shaving would be needed to keep the tics evenly positioned in the rehaut opening.

z7SZjQ.jpg

So probably gonna need a gen dial.

@JustFou

Last edited:

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Yeah the tube for my viet caseset came with that metal washer - assume it’s like a crush washer that fits between the tube and case - idk…

Only need to go to 100m…
So did you install the metal washer or left it out?

nom_deplume

Known Member
8/1/22
Earth
For those interested in using this case for a 16610 build, the dial seat is right at 27.3mm. So a rep 16610 dial is not likely going to fit unless there is room outside the minute tics to shave it down some.

ETA rep dials are generally around 28.5mm, both these BP 3135 dials are ~27.8mm with insufficient room outside the tics to shave enough off.

I had previously shaved this junk Hulk dial down to 27.3mm and it fit fine though more careful shaving would be needed to keep the tics evenly positioned in the rehaut opening.

z7SZjQ.jpg

So probably gonna need a gen dial.

@JustFou
Excellent info ... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh one step forward and one back

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@lawlessflyer

Is there a gasket between the tube and the case?
Both this Ebay tube and the ST tubes come with the metal gasket that goes between the tube and the case.

Reactions: mp1mancini