• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[CONSENSUAL LIST] Super Reps NWBIGs

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
agree, which ones would you propose to be on the list?
I don’t subscribe to a list, when I was new I did but overtime and many purchases I research the watch I like and see if I can live with the quality of the factory and the faults present.

The list is full of many that should not be on there and the same that should that fly under the radar…and it’s also subjective.

Reactions: Feefo

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
As in no it isn't , yes that's correct it isn't
Hats off to OP but I would take the list with a grain of salt, many on the list are not top notch and have flaws…not to gen just poor quality. Some factory are good others are inconsistent in quality.

There are also many reps out there so close to gen that are not on list.
I agree the whole forum needs to get together help Omagad and get the list back up to scratch

Reactions: Jammydodger79

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I don’t subscribe to a list, when I was new I did but overtime and many purchases I research the watch I like and see if I can live with the quality of the factory and the faults present.

The list is full of many that should not be on there and the same that should that fly under the radar…and it’s also subjective.
This is me too .It's good as a guidance but i do my own research and keep my own council .

TheReplicator

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/21

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I agree the whole forum needs to get together help Omagad and get the list back up to scratch
This is a great proposition, the list is a great reference for noobs, maybe we should add what was said about it just being for reference, sometimes subjective and that it doesn't replace own research in the intro.
As for the revision, it has to happen proactively from members, I guess. I mean, how does it work now?

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
haha thanks

ok which ones would you remove then?
LOL, do you think anyone has the time to go through the list one by one considering some are out of production, the different batches that produce inconsistencies between them and new models constantly released.

As said research the watch you like to see if you can live with what it is vs gen.

Reactions: P..DR..D

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
LOL, do you think anyone has the time to go through the list one by one considering some are out of production, the different batches that produce inconsistencies between them and new models constantly released.

As said research the watch you like to see if you can live with what it is vs gen.

This is what I've always done:

1. Pull up images of the gen from the website, and from other people IRL

2. Look for what factories make an available rep for the model you like, and see if they're even in stock anymore by checking various tds websites

3. Go on RWI and look at what other people say about those factories, often you can get an idea on the factories quality by how they've done on other models, even better if there are already discussion threads on the watch you're interested in, these often have members posting photos of their watch they received.

4. Compare the TDs images to a gen, and see if it looks good enough to you. Any major flaws that would distract you / bother you? Don't buy it. Small flaws that you can't really notice easily? Go for it.
- 4b. Talk to your TD, preferrably if you're already an existing customer of them, they might have something to say about the various models, often they don't, but it's good to ask. They may also point you in a direction, like "VSF has been the best from our experience", etc.

5. Buy the watch and get your QC pics. Read up on this website what QC is and it's purpose, there's a few threads to take a look at. Pull up the TDs pictures or pictures from members here, and compare. Does it look the same? Are there any manufacturing errors (misaligned markers on the dial, paint smearing, bad welds, broken/bent clasps, etc)? Don't compare with the gen, because you're not looking for flaws compared to the gen, you're looking for flaws specific to the rep that occur during manufacturing. Other members will diverge here on if you should pass/fail it, but if it bothers you, ask the TD if they can do something about it. They almost always can.

ADCJ

Known Member
13/6/20
CONUS
@chocolito thank you! what do you think about the 15500 isn't it a super rep?
Although the ZF and APSF dials are pretty impressive, they're still miles away from gen (IMO). The way the tapisserie (sp?) on gen dials catches the light is very distinctive in real life. Also, the 15500 has an open caseback, and while the clone movements are a huge step up from decorated Miyotas, the finishing on them is still well short of the finishing on a gen AP movement.

Personally, I like the look of 15400s more than that of 15500s, so I'm not intimately familiar with the various other tells on the 15500, but the dial and the open caseback are already enough to put super-rep status out of reach for the time being.

That said, 15400s have analogous dial and open-back issues, but I'd still consider the latest 15400 reps to be NWBIG. I mean, the choice between a $50k gen vs. a $500 ZF plus $49.5k worth of coke and hookers (or whatever) is pretty straightforward, IMO.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
That said, 15400s have analogous dial and open-back issues, but I'd still consider the latest 15400 reps to be NWBIG. I mean, the choice between a $50k gen vs. a $500 ZF plus $49.5k worth of coke and hookers (or whatever) is pretty straightforward, IMO.
:LOL::LOL:

Very,very good point !

IT's not a secret that, in this world of overrated and overpriced Gens, AP is (IMHO) one of the most overpriced !

IF i'm not wrong, the Royal Oak should be one of the most expensive Stainless Steel watches on the market ....

Reactions: ADCJ

pettyp

Horology Curious
28/8/22
I would agree from what I’ve seen, Noob does a great job with those models

TheLostPaddy

Horology Curious
12/9/22
Derry
Hi, just joined, I might be stupid (highly likely) however those listed…how do you find where these are for sale? Are there links etc? Cheers!

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
I was actually just popping in to ask the same thing. This takes a lot of work and if I were the OP I’d probably regret initially posting this by now! Lol but really, maybe we need a supplemental thread hosting suggestions from senior members? I say senior members bc we definitely don’t want every guy with mid tier as their sole rep trying to wish their watch into an underserved status. That would eat up time and piss off members who are confident in their knowledge and willing to share the information we need.

I read EVERY suggestion here, please post, the more sourced the better (link to comparison, pics, reviews, etc.)

Once I gather enough information, we can start talking about adding it in the list, and if needed, I'll create a poll.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
Ayy ! Just wanted to say thank you for your work on this legendary thread & list.

When considering an "update", I could see a V2 or spinoff where the list only includes versions that are available outside of the M2M, Buy Sell Trade type interactions. For example, many of the PAM's on the list are Noob....which is wicked helpful to have the rep model that is the best of the best. Great way to see what one should be looking for. I'll compare new offerings from TD's to detailed photos and reviews of reps on your list, instead of of gens sometimes.

That would be a full time job, lol. Many people want it, but it's impossible to keep track.

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple

Of course, everyone should do their research before buying a model on the list, just for the simple fact that a factory will claim it's the same watch/version when they changed something, and that's IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of.

So always do some work once you picked the watch you like, and make sure it's what you're looking for.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
5 watches are now considered for Super Rep status.

The list will be updated in the next few weeks.

Also, I have to pay for "Supporter" status in order to edit the topic. I'm trying to see with @trailboss99 if I can get the right to edit it without paying.

I've put over 1000 hours into this list and I don't come here as often as I used to. But every time I come in, I have a lot of catching up to do, dozens of topics to review entirely, etc. and I feel weird having to pay to work on something I'm already doing pro bono.
What are the 5 watches?

Reactions: dsk2004