• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comprehensive Guide to Clone Movements Found in Rolex Reps

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Maybe our movement expert @dogwood can advise and post a guide here on this thread (maybe an edit to the first post) it would be very helpful.
Indeed. There’s some debate on the correct lift angle setting for the VS3235, VS3230, and DD3285 with values of 55 and 58 degrees being commonly used.

In general 52 degrees is a good setting for your time grapher if you don’t know what the lift angle is.

Also, amplitudes can vary over a wide range and still be healthy as long as the hairspring’s restoring force is linear as a function of angular displacement.

engbanna1

Gens are replicas of first prototypes
29/5/23
KSA
Indeed. There’s some debate on the correct lift angle setting for the VS3235, VS3230, and DD3285 with values of 55 and 58 degrees being commonly used.

In general 52 degrees is a good setting for your time grapher if you don’t know what the lift angle is.

Also, amplitudes can vary over a wide range and still be healthy as long as the hairspring’s restoring force is linear as a function of angular displacement.
Thank you. So do you think 237 amplitude showing on my Timegrapher still healthy for the movement given the linear nature of the graph showing on the screen?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thank you. So do you think 237 amplitude showing on my Timegrapher still healthy for the movement given the linear nature of the graph showing on the screen?
Yes, especially since (as others have pointed out) the lift angle in your QC pic is set to 52 degrees and it should be set to 55 or 58 degrees. Setting the lift angle to a higher number will increase the calculated amplitude that the time grapher displays. So the true amplitude in your QC pic were the lift angle to have been set correctly would have been ~250 which is perfectly healthy.

Federicox

Getting To Know The Place
28/6/24
Hello good people,

I've read the OP carefully but I don't seem to be able to identify which movement is my new Clean DJ 41.
It's not a VR3235 because the bridge
arms are 2 and are outwards instead of inwards. But considering it's a clean it can't be a VS3235... see the pics for reference.

Please advise.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Hello good people,

I've read the OP carefully but I don't seem to be able to identify which movement is my new Clean DJ 41.
arms are 2 and are outwards instead of inwards. But considering it's a clean it can't be a VS3235... see the pics for reference.

Please advise.
Dogwood or others will be able to confirm, but I believe that's the DD3285 aka CF3285 (Correct Hand Stack), included in this guide.

xZeroCoolx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/10/22
US
Hello good people,

Please advise.
That's the new VR/SH3235, not sure if we came up with an official designation yet.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Yes, @xZeroCoolx is correct. Shanghai movemfnt factory seems to have ditched the fake beat adjustor decoration on the balance bridge. This makes differentiating the SH3285 from the DD3285 much harder but it can still be done by looking at the orientation of the way the hairspring is mounted. The DD movement mounts the hairspring clockwise. The SH mounts is counter clockwise. There’s also the fact that the SH has a smaller hole for the intermediate winding wheel pinion. But the hole size difference is hard to spot unless you’ve seen both movements. The orientation of the hairspring is an unambiguous way to ID this movement.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Also, I need to update this guide to include info about these new variations on the SH/VR movements without fake beat adjustors. The problem is that Xenforo (the software that RWI runs on) is having issues with edits to very long posts. The last update had to be performed by @daytona4me for me (I had to DM him the edits and he performed them) since my edits kept causing errors when I tried to hit save. We’re working on a solution but it might involve splitting the guide up into smaller posts for each movement type.

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Also, I need to update this guide to include info about these new variations on the SH/VR movements without fake beat adjustors. The problem is that Xenforo (the software that RWI runs on) is having issues with edits to very long posts. The last update had to be performed by @daytona4me for me (I had to DM him the edits and he performed them) since my edits kept causing errors when I tried to hit save. We’re working on a solution but it might involve splitting the guide up into smaller posts for each movement type.
Welcome back.
I actually found that it is a firewall issue. It think the large commit of data is an attack and blocks it. I'll work with you this week, open it up for you, and you can do the edits.

Federicox

28/6/24
Thank you gents for your swift responses!
All clarified over here, thanks to this info I found the other threat where there's full details of the new VR3235 "v2".

Thank you once again!

dynastydoc

I like meteorite....
4/3/24
United States
Can I ask, Is the SL 4801/4802 a drop in replacement for a 4130?

I’m wondering if I can use it for a budget Daytona build with a clean case.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Can I ask, Is the SL 4801/4802 a drop in replacement for a 4130?

I’m wondering if I can use it for a budget Daytona build with a clean case.
Yes the SL-4801 and SL-4802 are drop in replacements for the dd4130 (I’m 99.9% sure it would be a drop in replacement for the SH4130 too, but I’ve never done so myself so don’t want to kiss-and-tell if it didn’t happen).

scarface1926

3/9/22
Yes the SL-4801 and SL-4802 are drop in replacements for the dd4130 (I’m 99.9% sure it would be a drop in replacement for the SH4130 too, but I’ve never done so myself so don’t want to kiss-and-tell if it didn’t happen).
hi do you know if the dd4131 available in btf and vsf is a clone? thanks

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
hi do you know if the dd4131 available in btf and vsf is a clone? thanks
It is:

Federicox

28/6/24
Hello good people,

Do we know if there's a true VS3230 by now? I mean, on the OP it says:
"there is currently no official non-date version of the VS3235, that is a "VS3230" movement doesn't exist (as of March 2023)"
I see that there are many websites offering watches with VS3230 movements. Do we know if there is now a real VS3230 with no phantom date position? I'm looking to get a new Airking 126900 and it would be interesting to clarify this.

Thank you as always!

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Hello good people,

Do we know if there's a true VS3230 by now?
Yes there is, as of May this year. Find a link below showing where that is discussed in this very thread, and then an example link of a TD ad for a Sub with the VS3230, as well as another one for an Air King with the same movement. That said, I suggest you always ask your TD to confirm the movement before purchasing.

Last edited:

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hello good people,

Do we know if there's a true VS3230 by now? I mean, on the OP it says:
"there is currently no official non-date version of the VS3235, that is a "VS3230" movement doesn't exist (as of March 2023)"
I see that there are many websites offering watches with VS3230 movements. Do we know if there is now a real VS3230 with no phantom date position? I'm looking to get a new Airking 126900 and it would be interesting to clarify this.

Thank you as always!
@SS72 is right. Thanks for the reminder that I need to update the OP (I have a growing list of updates that I need to make).

Reactions: Federicox