• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comprehensive Guide to Clone Movements Found in Rolex Reps

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Post updated to include information about the new versions of the SH/VR movements which no longer have the fake hairspring stud on the balance. Fortunately there's an unambiguous way to tell a VR/SH movement from a DD movement. All SH/VR movements have their hairspring mounted such that it winds inwards in a counter clockwise direction. All DD movements have the hairspring mounted such that it winds inwards in a clockwise direction. This differentiation is not as easy to see from a distance, but it is unambiguous. Always remember, the hairspring starts on the beat adjuster (red arrow) and then runs through the regulator (green arrow), that's how you can figure out which way it coils inwards (blue arrow). As of July 2024, the direction of the hairspring's coil is the key way to differentiate Dandong and Shanghai movements. While there are other ways to differentiate DD from SF/VR movements, the chirality of the hairspring is the most unambiguous.

Mudder

8/9/20
How easy is a swap from the vr3230 to the vs3230? If I wanted to fit my Clean 124270 with the VS mvmnt?

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
How easy is a swap from the vr3230 to the vs3230? If I wanted to fit my Clean 124270 with the VS mvmnt?
It’s fairly easy. The movements are the same size. The dial and hands will fit no problem. The only think you’ll need to swap is the crown onto the new vs3230 stem since the vr3230 stem is different. Apply heat to the stem crown bond to break the glue that secures the threads before you try to unscrew it.

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
This is an amazing guide, especially for beginners. I am now heading to open all the casebooks of my watches....lol. I am curious to see what version my GMT is. I believe it is the newest.

Thanks so much, @dogwood!

PS - quick question - as a beginner with watch repair, servicing, etc., what would be the best one to practice on? Something I can find on Ali. Thank you!

Reactions: SS72 and dogwood

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
This is an amazing guide, especially for beginners. I am now heading to open all the casebooks of my watches....lol. I am curious to see what version my GMT is. I believe it is the newest.

Thanks so much, @dogwood!

PS - quick question - as a beginner with watch repair, servicing, etc., what would be the best one to practice on? Something I can find on Ali. Thank you!
The best movement to start on is the Unitas 6497. It’s cheap. It’s simple. It has all the key mechanical features found in every watch. It has dozens of YouTube tutorials showing you exactly how to service it. It’s the movement I started with.

Cubatobaco

Horological Specimen
Supporter
Certified
24/6/24
VA
The best movement to start on is the Unitas 6497. It’s cheap. It’s simple. It has all the key mechanical features found in every watch. It has dozens of YouTube tutorials showing you exactly how to service it. It’s the movement I started with.
Thanks so much! Going to grab one now. Maybe two...lol.

snick

Getting To Know The Place
17/7/24
Portugal
If a VS3235 fails in a watch, let's say YM, is it possible to remove the movement and install a cheaper one? Or the only option is to get it fixed?

Thanks

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Section Moderator
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
If a VS3235 fails in a watch, let's say YM, is it possible to remove the movement and install a cheaper one? Or the only option is to get it fixed?

Thanks
Yes, as @xZeroCoolx said, it’s possible to replace a broken vs3235 with a vr3235.