• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP Re-Releases 5-Digit Submariners with VR3135

xray7

Amateur Rhetoric Wrangler
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
British Isles
My wife generally tolerates my watch purchases. Unfortunately for me, she’s got a strong aversion to the tool and dive watches which have “gone for gold”… and I think I’m in love with the 16613LB.

I’ve been resisting for a couple of weeks now, but it scratches a particular summer/no rehaut engraving vintage/not super expensive itch and I’m losing the battle with my resolve. I can probably succeed in resisting until I’ve got the inbound 16610LN back out the door.

I’ll likely be posting my wrist shots of the 16613LB from my new place to sleep - the couch.

Anyway… are there any absolutely “must do” mods on the latest run of these out of BP that I should contemplate as I consider making the couch my permanent home over this?

Last edited:

Hagus

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
31/5/13
York uk
Right guys, I’ve lost my bezel insert! Is it possible to source a replacement BP one? it’s a 16610LN but if I had a choice I’d probably go for an LV insert to add colour to my watch box!

Pelleknas

Meatball lover
Supporter
Certified
27/9/18
Sweden (EU)
Many of the BPs do still come with SA3186’s. Easily identified by the silver on the red reversing wheels.

Good news is, when that dies you just swap in a VR3186.

Those cases tend to have the much wider chamfers as well.
Hi buddy. I am curious what you mean with the last sentence there. What do you mean with it?

I am the owner of a sa3186 GMT currently that I really like. But it doesn't feel great manual winding, so I am curious if I should later swap to a VR3186 like you suggest.

Thanks

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Hi buddy. I am curious what you mean with the last sentence there. What do you mean with it?

I am the owner of a sa3186 GMT currently that I really like. But it doesn't feel great manual winding, so I am curious if I should later swap to a VR3186 like you suggest.

Thanks

Hi,

You could swap the SA with a VR and it will likely be a nice improvement.

The chamfers on the cases that I had with SA movement were much wider than the case that came with a VR.

Here are some photos.

You can see how much of the angle (chamfer) is visible on one of the cases and how the other is much thinner and “closer” to gen.

H8jfCyo.jpeg

MRho0ck.jpg

Pelleknas

Meatball lover
Supporter
Certified
27/9/18
Sweden (EU)
I see. Yes my watch has the wider chamfers, unfortunately. Do you know if it is fixable? Maybe can be brushed away a little?

I might swap to a VR3186 later, but first when my SA gives up. It runs really well, just feels like it "pops" a little bit when winding. Like in addition to the normal wind-up resistance there is extra bumps now and then, very subtle.

Doing a movement swap costs like 120€ for the vr3186 and maybe 100€ for the work right? Maybe I should just sell this and get a new bp with VR at that point :)

Reactions: mcboom

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
I see. Yes my watch has the wider chamfers, unfortunately. Do you know if it is fixable? Maybe can be brushed away a little?

I might swap to a VR3186 later, but first when my SA gives up. It runs really well, just feels like it "pops" a little bit when winding. Like in addition to the normal wind-up resistance there is extra bumps now and then, very subtle.

Doing a movement swap costs like 120€ for the vr3186 and maybe 100€ for the work right? Maybe I should just sell this and get a new bp with VR at that point :)

I’m not sure about the work, that will depend on the person. I do my own work unless it’s really complicated.

VR’s are under $100 through AliExpress, that I know for sure.

Eames

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/5/24
Hey guys. Got a little problem with my bp 16610 that I got recently. The bezel had a lot of wonky play so I decided to pull it off and see if I could reattach it. I did not know that the glass would come off. But the problem is I can’t seem to reattach the bezel back on fully. See the picture.

Please any advise ??? I love the watch and really want to use it and hopefully nothing major is gone here ?? :/

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Remove the insert & wire, firmly hold the bezel to the case and press in the wire. Confirm that it rotates properly. Install insert.

Eames

Banned
13/5/24
Remove the insert & wire, firmly hold the bezel to the case and press in the wire. Confirm that it rotates properly. Install insert.

Thanks but how do I remove the insert ? I would really appreciate all advice available but when I pop the bezel off the glass is also and can’t see how to remove the insert ??

See pics:

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
I’m surprised the glass came out when you popped the bezel off.

Pop the glass out carefully, then you should be able to separate the insert from the bezel.

Eames

Banned
13/5/24
I’m surprised the glass came out when you popped the bezel off.

Pop the glass out carefully, then you should be able to separate the insert from the bezel.
Should the glass pop out “of the back” ?

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Hey guys. Got a little problem with my bp 16610 that I got recently. The bezel had a lot of wonky play so I decided to pull it off and see if I could reattach it. I did not know that the glass would come off. But the problem is I can’t seem to reattach the bezel back on fully. See the picture.

Please any advise ??? I love the watch and really want to use it and hopefully nothing major is gone here ?? :/

Push the crystal out from the front. You'll then put the gasket and crystal back on the case, and press the bezel on.

I don't believe these have a wire like the 5 digits. The BP 16610 has a 6 digit style bezel with the ball bearings.

bowtiefanatc

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/11/12
Push the crystal out from the front. You'll then put the gasket and crystal back on the case, and press the bezel on.

I don't believe these have a wire like the 5 digits. The BP 16610 has a 6 digit style bezel with the ball bearings.

That makes sense. It definitely looked different.

Eames

Banned
13/5/24
Any tips on getting the crystal out ? Can’t seem to be able to push it out - see pics.

Geonor

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Push it out with a crystal press. You will probably need one to get it back together as well.

hollywoodrollie

Getting To Know The Place
12/12/23

Hey man... sorry, just take a few minutes to read my posts and @KJ2020 in this thread. It will save you a lot of frustration.
Basically, you need a crystal press and a special die to press the crystal and the retaining ring back on. I ended up buying a datejust rep bezel from eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/142894860301) and used it as a press die to set the retaining ring. The DJ bezel was a perfect fit after trying a few other options.

It looks like you also smashed the hytrel gasket (which fits inside the bezel) so you'll have to either get a replacement or use fishing line as an alternative.

The first thing you need to do is understand how this whole thing works and what are the bezel assembly parts.

This should help:

You need to do is separate the crystal, the plastic crystal gasket and the metal retaining ring from the bezel. You'll need a crystal press to do that. You then need to refit the crystal and gasket on the case and press the retaining ring to secure it on the case.

Also read these post here: