• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5-digit 14060 Build

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Really depends on what you are looking for. For me, who doesn't want to do a lot of case work, this is great. Already drilled lugs, thinner all around than the BP 16610 (which I also own, I can do a side by side once the new cases arrive, please remind me in 2 weeks). Visually, obvious flaws of this case include:
  1. Bezel too thin
  2. Crown guards not correct, too thick (but drilled holes so that's a plus!)
  3. Lugs are still too thick compared to gen 14060
Good news, I have received the 14060 Ali cases. Let the informal comparison begin with the BP 16610.

I spent nearly no time taking these images but I must say when comparing the the two, the BP in many respects is much more gen-like (obviously). You can also see gen spec bezel inserts just won't fit the Ali case. Actually, after doing the comparison, I really like the angles on the BP better, but the cost difference is not worth it. Surprisingly, lug and crown guard widths were actually smaller on the BP. I thought the opposite!

connery77

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
16/8/11
A little off topic but does anybody know an aftermarket source for this kind of bezel insert?

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Good news, I have received the 14060 Ali cases. Let the informal comparison begin with the BP 16610.

I spent nearly no time taking these images but I must say when comparing the the two, the BP in many respects is much more gen-like (obviously). You can also see gen spec bezel inserts just won't fit the Ali case. Actually, after doing the comparison, I really like the angles on the BP better, but the cost difference is not worth it. Surprisingly, lug and crown guard widths were actually smaller on the BP. I thought the opposite!

Interesting bro! So you think the bp 16610 case (with its flaws) is not terrible for a 14060 build?

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
That is a fantastic looking 5 digit, well done to you. When I first started here I quickly moved on from Onega to Rolex and I loved the Big Crown and 4 digit subs. I always wanted a 14060 rep because they were so rare and so not so obvious out in the wild! But couldn’t get hold of one M2M for the life of me, in the end I bought a Gen in 2020 and I still have it. Just lately I’ve been drawn to the 124060, the boxy 114060 just didn’t do it for me… so much so I just ordered a VS from JTime yesterday! Funny how I’ve got a Gen but looking so much to receiving the VS… strange hobby this!! 🤪

Reactions: Karbon74

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Interesting bro! So you think the bp 16610 case (with its flaws) is not terrible for a 14060 build?
It depends. What movement do you want to use? Do you care about cost? Is it actually more accurate or so I just like the lines better?

I'll still be using the AliX cases for my next builds.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
I also agree that the AliX case are better value.

By the time you mod the BP, you are north of $500 for a case with the wrong dimensions

The additional key point for me is that with a NH38, you get a true nodate. The 3135 will have the ghost date.

the BP brings the advantage of the etched crystal though

Reactions: Nur-Uhr and Caboose

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
I also agree that the AliX case are better value.

By the time you mod the BP, you are north of $500 for a case with the wrong dimensions

The additional key point for me is that with a NH38, you get a true nodate. The 3135 will have the ghost date.

the BP brings the advantage of the etched crystal though
The BP etching quality is subpar. Not a big selling point for me.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Looks nice. What did you age?
Full detail about the watches (yes there are two!) here:

Short version: two coffee aging methods, one dry, one wet + heat for bezel pearl.

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
I also received an AliExpress case and made one.
I chamfered the lugs and widened the holes to 1.3mm.

KqumkP.jpeg

KquiOJ.jpeg

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
Comparison with watches using Sillan's 16610 case

On the right is the AliExpress case

Kqu1AR.jpeg

Kqun7K.jpeg

Kqu8zv.jpeg