• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5-digit 14060 Build

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Certified
17/5/23
UK
I’ve been a fan of the 14060 for a while and thought I would attempt one for my first build as no one is currently producing a rep.

There’s not much choice in dial options which is a shame (what with the gens’ particular dimensions etc) so it’s either a raffles dial in a 16610 case, or a gen dial in a custom vn case which is a rather expensive (£2k+) option once you’ve got all the parts in.

With the potential to go wrong, and the risk for a first timer, I decided to go down the raffles route. There’s definitely some room for improvement with the raffles dials but for their cost you get what you pay for.

The 16610 case was purchased from alibaba from a seller called Sillan and I believe it to be an older RAF case but don’t quote me on that. CG’s are nice - longer than the recent ARF 16610 which I’ve compared it to side by side. Rehaut opening is 26.8mm and you can see the minute markers under ‘swiss made’ but only just, a BP case may have worked better for this but overall I think the combo works well.

This build was really quite fun and engaging and I’m fairly happy with the end result.

Specs:
-Sillan (RAF) 16610 case/bezel/insert/crown
-VSF 114060 crystal
-Raffles 14060 dial (28.5mm)
-Generic 31xx hands
-vr3130 movement
-Temporary Noob glidelock bracelet

Huge thanks to rwi in general for the vault of information and all those who I’ve pestered along the way @KJ2020 @trash3939 lots of useful tips! and also to @p0pperini for his madly inspiring sub collection. Also to @C Master who is an enabler !

Now on to my next build which i've decided will be a 5513 to go with the 1680, love a no date. Milk case at the ready. Fun times.

Last edited:

etashazam

No more watches pls
Supporter
Certified
9/10/16
CONUS
Lovely dial!

whats your solution for the bracelet and lug hole?
Im also looking for a 14060M build.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Looks fabulous bro. The narrower insert on the BP works to advantage for a 14060 but that case looks great so no looking back needed. A real looker for a very reasonable price. Congrats on the build!

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Certified
17/5/23
UK
Lovely dial!

whats your solution for the bracelet and lug hole?
Im also looking for a 14060M build.

I'd like to get the lug holes drilled but not something I think i'd be brave enough to attempt at this point. For the bracelet i'm not too fussed about keeping it period correct at the moment, the glidelock is such a good design and so easy to adjust but will likely swap it out for a 7GJ 97200 which I have spare. I may go down the hollow end link route but I might save that for the four digit build.

Brilliant stuff for a first time build. It looks really good.

Bless you sir for the kind words !

Looks fabulous bro. The narrower insert on the BP works to advantage for a 14060 but that case looks great so no looking back needed. A real looker for a very reasonable price. Congrats on the build!

Thanks man (y) Yeah I wasnt the biggest fan of the finish on the BP either so definitely happy with how its turned out.
Cost wise excluding bracelet I think I'm at around £365/$460/€420

Reactions: Karbon74 and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've used a rep Glidelock on my gen 16710 since I got my first one. What a great clasp, and now on Oysterflex Daytonas!

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Certified
17/5/23
UK
I generally throw a glidelock clasp onto my 5 digits. It is slightly thicker but so easy to adjust.

I've used a rep Glidelock on my gen 16710 since I got my first one.

I have a dirty little secret; I put a glidelock from Ali on my 1680 and it transformed the jkf bracelet. The clasp it came with was all sorts of wrong..

Could do with finding a better quality one as it’s not great but does the job.

Reactions: KJ2020 and C Master

DCWatches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/9/20
Great build! What are the other options besides raffles for the dial? Or reason for going with raffles?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
To be very honest - a real great result.
Looks nice this watch and as written by you - for your first time build = the result is more than great.
Your skills are quite good.

All the best for your future builds. I think the 14060 is not finished yet ... lug holes .... but you will improve yourself ;)
Happy to read more from your builds. Congrats again.

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
Congratulations!
It is a very nice watch.
I too am hesitant about machining the lug holes. (LOL)

Reactions: Yellowsubmarine

trash3939

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/10/19
Hsh4To.jpeg

Yellowsubmarine

Supporter
Certified
17/5/23
UK
To be very honest - a real great result.
Looks nice this watch and as written by you - for your first time build = the result is more than great.
Your skills are quite good.

All the best for your future builds. I think the 14060 is not finished yet ... lug holes .... but you will improve yourself ;)
Happy to read more from your builds. Congrats again.

Thank you Nur-Uhr, appreciate the kind words. I’m very pleased with it. Along the way during each step I’ve amassed a bunch of tools (as I’m sure most do) so at some point a pillar drill could be on the cards.. but if I can find someone local to do this it would probably be the easiest route.

Congratulations!
It is a very nice watch.
I too am hesitant about machining the lug holes. (LOL)

Thanks mate.
Yes widening an existing hole wouldn’t be so bad and I may attempt it on a 4 digit but just the thought of aligning everything correctly and having to do it four times just fills me with anxiety lol.