• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Tudor - WHY?

Papa Legba

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
15/7/22
Son, don't be rude. Not to me, not anyone or you can bugger off. It IS an inane question, it's stupid and implies that Rolex are in some way superior to Tudor simply because they cost more in the gen.

Yes, I agreed it was indeed inane BUT, as I already told you, the question you cited was NOT the question I asked, so LEARN TO READ and not put up straw men.

Furthermore, they do not simply cost more they (let's be honest) have more prestige, when did you last see a TUDOR clock at Wimbledon? Thus, and back to my original question, in the world of Gen watches you can argue that Rolex are overpriced and Tudor have the looks. So for less than half the price (in many cases) they are a good option, but that is not the case with the high end reps, they are the Same price. Thus I do not understand the motivation so I simply asked WHY and, amongst the avalanche of invective, I have had a few civil answers.

Last edited:

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I have been buying reps for over 12 yrs. Personally I see reps provide the opportunity to try a watch which is close to gen and the wearer can choose to buy a gen later on if they like it. Or simply have the ability to buy watches which they "like" but not necessarily want or warrant a gen for their own reasons.

Your question is interesting, but like other members had said they just like the design of the rep watches they got and don't really measure the ratio of rep to gen as part of their buying process. I actually had a conversation with a friend where we now see some high end Longine rep (lets skip the lingo here) and I said what is the point paying $400ish for a Longine rep when the gen is around $2k new? I would buy a 2nd hand gen and sell it if I don't like it. But yet again I don't fancy Longines design.

Your Patek argument I can appreciate as Patek is on a different level. But yet again wearing a modern Rolex sports model also is not cheap, unless you got your Rolex retail it commands very similar pricing as a retail Patek, for example a gen Hulk now is around £20k and an Aquanaut is also around £20k retail.....

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Thanks for the knowledgeable and civil answer philwongnz. Won't repeat my Patek points but I am known amongst friends and family as owning a number of Rolex over the years and I recently traded in two well looked after Datejusts for my one year old but unworn Submariner. I want to keep it pristine for my son so will get a high end clone to wear and it's authenticity will never be questioned. (not until I make my grand exit anywayz :))

Last edited:

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Don't know how to cancel a post so here's a joke.
Clint eastwood is throwing a small party to talk about his latest movie project.
"It's about famous composers" says Clint.

"I'll be BEETHOVEN" says Vin Diesel.

"I'll be MOZART" says Stallone

Clint puts down his drink and says "How about you Schwarzeneggar?"

This went over my head. Explain joke.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
I wear Tudor reps because no one ever questions their authenticity, it doesn’t even cross their mind.
Whereas with a Rolex sub, everyone assumes it’s fake, even if it’s gen.

Now THAT is sound reasoning and is exactly why I don't wear a Patek or high end AP rep.

Last edited:

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
1. To show people how easily most people can pass the replica off as gen, more of a warning about knowing what you are buying and who you are buying from. If you buy from a reputable dealer, such as himself, then he makes the money and you get what you paid for and don't get ripped off.

2. It's youtube, he has a channel, he makes money from that. Sensationalize and drive more traffic. Duh?

he IS an expert at differentiating reps from gens.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
So you are confused why someone would have a Tudor and a Rolex - in general? Head on over to TRF - there are hundreds of us there who have both.

NO, once again, that is not what I asked or implied.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Papa Legba - Congratulations for being one of the very few that has managed to rack up over 85% of their post count by talking complete and utter bollocks, all in one post. I look forward to more with great interest,

Ah, and now we are privileged to have a man of letters deigning to grace us with the power of his eloquence.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
he IS an expert at differentiating reps from gens.

As are a sizable portion of the membership here. Take some time to read through the “SCG” watch threads to learn the true meaning of “minutiae”

Horologyguy

Horology Curious
6/7/22
I bought a Tudor BB58 SCG. Because I love the design and also unlike a Rolex it flys under the radar. All my friends see a Tudor they're like "nice watch", they see a Rolex they're like "How much did you buy that watch bro, I'd rather spend that on a car or house down payment"

I'd rather hear nice watch than them to ask me how much I make.
d3d319c6f55d639a3e2ee6b915d581f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horologyguy

Horology Curious
6/7/22
I bought a Tudor BB58 SCG. Because I love the design and also unlike a Rolex it flys under the radar. All my friends see a Tudor they're like "nice watch", they see a Rolex they're like "How much did you buy that watch for, I'd rather spend that on a car or house down payment"

I'd rather hear nice watch than them to ask me how much I make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJames

Known Member
1/8/15
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbqQqngkl8s&t=259s

A video by an expert at Watchfinder & Co. He explains, in some detail, why the latest super-clones are so good and describes their accuracy as off the scale.

Definitely don't need magnification to spot the difference. Bezel color is off, hands are off, LEC is too pronounced, rehaut is off. Might fool some clerks at a store, but you'll never know since it's unlikely they'd call out and embarrass a guest. No dealer will be fooled if you tried to sell them that watch and not walk around the store wearing it. You'd have to be colossally inept to buy that watch in person if you're a professional.

Dealers do get ripped off sometimes, but not because they couldn't spot a decent replica or what you're calling an "SCG" watch. There are lots of common scams (i.e. mail fraud, wire fraud, shady dealers playing with customer money, etc...) that don't require trying to convince a professional that your high end fake is real.

To answer your first question, why get a rep Tudor when you could have a rep Rolex; Why have a rep Rolex when you can have a rep Patek Nautilus? Should everyone just always get a rep of the most expensive watch possible and not the one they think looks cool?

Last edited:

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
Fantastic reading. lol. Now should I wear one of my Rolex's or my Tudor's? Are Tudor's sub par to Rolex? Not in my opinion.

Actually I think I will go with my Seiko 5 sports as I am heading to the beach. Well, I could wear any of my watches (but not the ones I don't want to get wet), and I wouldn't give a hoot what other people thought as I like 'em all - admittedly some more than others though ;-)

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
What an entertaining read LOL
Ok, a serious answer, I love titanium watches and Rolex doesn’t make one, Tudor does. Rolex also does not make a bronze model. I don’t just care about the name on the dial but also the materials it is made from.

Many years ago when the 41mm ranger came out I tried one on at an AD but couldn’t justify spending that much money at the time. So, sentimental reasons.

Every time I wear or see my rep ranger I have now reminds me of that memory, I guess I could go buy a gen now but my tastes have changed and the rep is so good it’s again hard to justify.

As mentioned above, Tudor flies under the radar. In fact, with where I live (small town) and who I associate with (middle class) rolex is the only brand people recognize or ask me about. I can wear a patek or AP or Tudor and nobody ever notices. I don’t hide the fact I wear reps but sometimes it’s easier to just avoid wearing rolex and avoiding the conversation altogether. (This is my particular situation YMMV)
I have Sinn reps and Oris and Longines, why not sell those three reps and buy one gen oris? Or, one rep Daytona? Maybe I should but I choose not to. I love having a larger collection and having one gen oris won’t bring me more joy than these three reps. I love the idea of having quality affordable brand reps that nobody would have ever thought were repped. They are hard to find and hunt down.

Rolex was actually the brand that I only just recently started collecting. Always assuming it was a bit cliché to wear a replica rolex. It was/is more fun to wear Tudor, AP and omega instead.

Last edited:

Buythedip

Supporter
Certified
1/2/21
Here and there, but more there
Setting aside rep vs gen. If I was to see someone with a Rolex, Panerai, IWC, and Tudor in a collection, I’d personally respect that more than someone who had 4 Rolex’s.

I was recently on a trip and walked past an AD I’d never dealt with. Out our curiosity I queried how long the wait was for a 126900, they suggested 8 years! The pendulum has swung a little too far for me, the brand is becoming less desirable year after year. Tudor is positioned well to steal market share. Who knows, we might see a noob post the same thread in reverse in years to come “Rep Rolex - Why?”