• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Tudor - WHY?

Papa Legba

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
15/7/22
Here is something that is really puzzling me. If you are going to pay for an SCG super clone why oh why would you pay the same price for a TUDOR. In the real world I can completely understand it - similar looks at a MUCH cheaper price but in the SCG world you can get the Rolex for the same price. So please somebody WHY?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Papa Legba d​​​​​o you think that it's possible that, ridiculous though it seems, there may be some people out there in the world who (for utterly unfathomable reasons, I know) have different opinions and tastes to yours? And that their tastes might mean they, for instance, aren't swayed by the monetary value of decorative/functional objects alone? And that they actually make their purchasing decisions based on what they find more aesthetically or functionally pleasing? Do you think that might actually be possible?

And (here I'm flying way, way into the realms of fantasy) it's also possible that there may be some people in the world who don't really care for Rolex as a brand.

(Nice forum name BTW - love Talking Heads, love that song, deeply love that film.)

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Thanks for the reply, was the sarcasm really necessary?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for the reply, was the sarcasm really necessary?
Well, it reflected what I felt regarding the question... but sure, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, so I'll try replying again with the sarcasm filter engaged:

Tudor watches aren't just a cheap substitute for Rolex watches. They very much have their own brand identity and character, which some people actually prefer, or like just as much.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Considering the original post? Sarcasm was absolutely necessary.

I respectfully disagree. I asked my question out of genuine curiosity and I did so with no criticism of Rep Tudor buyers whatsoever. So, a sarcastic reply was "absolutely necessary"??? perhaps in the confrontational world occupied by lovers of one-liners and put downs.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Don't know how to cancel a post so here's a joke.
Clint eastwood is throwing a small party to talk about his latest movie project.
"It's about famous composers" says Clint.

"I'll be BEETHOVEN" says Vin Diesel.

"I'll be MOZART" says Stallone

Clint puts down his drink and says "How about you Schwarzeneggar?"

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I admit it, the sarcasm was a mistake, because it meant you ignored the points I raised and focussed on the tone. Because I was making a couple of points that I think are valid. So, I summarised them in a subsequent post. We can now move on from Sarcasmgate in a new spirit of intelligent debate over the burning question of the day: "Tudor: Poor Man's Rolex or Thinking Man's... Rolex".

I started doing it again, didn't I. I just can't help myself.

P.S. What is a "SCG"?

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
I admit it, the sarcasm was a mistake, because it meant you ignored the points I raised and focussed on the tone. Because I was making a couple of points that I think are valid. So, I summarised them in a subsequent post. We can now move on from Sarcasmgate in a new spirit of intelligent debate over the burning question of the day: "Tudor: Poor Man's Rolex or Thinking Man's... Rolex".

I started doing it again, didn't I. I just can't help myself.

P.S. What is a "SCG"?

SCG = Super Clone Grade (previously AAAAA grade I believe)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
SCG = Super Clone Grade (previously AAAAA grade I believe)
Aaaah. Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realise that AAAAA had a new name. Or, for that matter, that AAAAA was ever a thing. I thought that AAA was the ultimate super clone grade. Now I'm going to have to start collecting again. And I for one won't be bothering with any of that Tudor crap. Only Rolex could ever be worthy of AAAAA status.

Five A's. I'm a bit giddy at the thought.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Aaaah. Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realise that AAAAA had a new name. Or, for that matter, that AAAAA was ever a thing. I thought that AAA was the ultimate super clone grade. Now I'm going to have to start collecting again. And I for one won't be bothering with any of that Tudor crap. Only Rolex could ever be worthy of AAAAA status.

SCG are the current so called super clones, unless you are a true expert or have a gen handy for comparison (even then you need a magnifying glass and an expert eye) they are indistinguishable from the gen.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22

SCG are the current so called super clones, unless you are a true expert or have a gen handy for comparison (even then you need a magnifying glass and an expert eye) they are indistinguishable from the gen, even same weight down to the nearest few grams.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
SCG are the current so called super clones, unless you are a true expert or have a gen handy for comparison (even then you need a magnifying glass and an expert eye) they are indistinguishable from the gen.
I mean, can this even be possible? It sounds like we're entering the realms of pure fantasy.

I'm going to have to get my TD to drop everything else and go source me some SCGs pronto.

I'll let him know he's going to need a magnifying glass.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Here is something that is really puzzling me. If you are going to pay for an SCG super clone why oh why would you pay the same price for a TUDOR.

I have 2 genuine Tudor's - a Black Bay 58 Blue, and a Pelagos FXD. Both of them are simply superb. Way better than any AAAAAAAAAAA SCG bullshit.

Here's one for you - not everyone wants to wear a Chinese fake. Even those of us with Chinese fakes have real watches as well. Sometimes they are a gift to us, other times they are simply an indulgence and a pleasure.

In the real world I can completely understand it - similar looks at a MUCH cheaper price but in the SCG world you can get the Rolex for the same price. So please somebody WHY?

We all inhabit the real world so I can only comment on that. However, in any world a fake watch is only ever a fake watch.

So the premise of your post seems to be why would anyone ever buy a real watch - that's a weird one.

Last edited:
Reactions: kryckan13