• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Tudor - WHY?

P..DR..D

KING OF BALD ARMS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Ah, somebody who can (almost) read, Yes that is (almost) exactly what I was asking. EXACTLY what I was asking was - Why Buy A rep Tudor when you can buy a rep Rolex for the same price.

I guess you're going all in so.:bees:

It would be the same answer, albeit with 'rep' added.

'Why buy a (rep) Tudor, because I like (rep) Tudors'

And they are not the same price, so your question is inane.

You seem to be a pedantic chap, amongst other things, so let's state facts.

Looking at JTimes site:
  • Tudors (all 36 of them) range from $338 to $458
  • Rolex (846 of them) but if we're looking at the top tier Sub offerings, on average, ~$5-$600. If we're looking at Daytonas that figure rises to $1,238 with the most popular offerings at $8-$900.
:goodnight:

Last edited:

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Hardly believe this celebration of relativism continued, in that presumptuous tone on top of that.
​I commend the patience of some members who still try to give rational answers, I'm out since I heard the word "prestige" enter the reasonings as one of the reasons why one would have watches.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I think the "poor man's Rolex" argument would hold some water if all the designs were just the same as Rolex but a bit shittier, but there are dozens of Tudors available that look nothing like any Rolex. I mean show me a Rolex that looks like this:

For every Rolex fan that derides a Tudor as a "poor man's choice" you'll find a Tudor owner who thinks that anyone who buys a Rolex is getting duped by a marketing machine.
The defence rests.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I think the "poor man's Rolex" argument would hold some water if all the designs were just the same as Rolex but a bit shittier, but there are dozens of Tudors available that look nothing like any Rolex. I mean show me a Rolex that looks like this:

For every Rolex fan that derides a Tudor as a "poor man's choice" you'll find a Tudor owner who thinks that anyone who buys a Rolex is getting duped by a marketing machine.
The defence rests.

Agreed. Think the issue with some buyers is that Rolex themselves (and not blokes on the internet) asked buyers if they want the real thing or the shit one. The differences now is that the “shit” one costs omega or breitling money - brands which don’t live under the shadow of the “better one”

the poor mans Rolex term is pretty dated these days with serious watch enthusiasts - however with the general public, who are looking to spend £4-5k on a watch (ie not poor mans money) and want decent brand image, they will be asking questions like OP.

Personally I’m a big fan of Tudor - the designs are more rugged and utilitarian compared to Rolex - which is great - and another reason why I prefer reps (so you can beat the shit out of them and not feel bad about kicking about £5k like it’s a football.

Yes, Tudor has worked hard in recent years to move out of the shadow of its daddy and has won over the watch enthusiast community - but it probably has a bit of work to do before it can compete with the brand image of say Omega and Breitling (similar priced watches) - amongst the general public.

This is one one watch that I probably enjoyed wearing more than most watches I’ve owned:

post a pic online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
^^^what pistebasher said, but nothing to defend here, and if, then we're acquitted because the alleged fact does not exist. This is a specific type of acquittal verdict precisely provided for by the Italian Code of Criminal Procedure when there's no case to talk about. Not the same as acquittal for lack of evidence or for innocence, there simply is no case here. Note that the reference is to the material fact, and not to an offence as such. No fact, so we return again to following statement: the question is inane.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistebasher

Papa Legba

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
15/7/22
Definitely don't need magnification to spot the difference. Bezel color is off, hands are off, LEC is too pronounced, rehaut is off. Might fool some clerks at a store, but you'll never know since it's unlikely they'd call out and embarrass a guest. No dealer will be fooled if you tried to sell them that watch and not walk around the store wearing it. You'd have to be colossally inept to buy that watch in person if you're a professional.

Dealers do get ripped off sometimes, but not because they couldn't spot a decent replica or what you're calling an "SCG" watch. There are lots of common scams (i.e. mail fraud, wire fraud, shady dealers playing with customer money, etc...) that don't require trying to convince a professional that your high end fake is real.

To answer your first question, why get a rep Tudor when you could have a rep Rolex; Why have a rep Rolex when you can have a rep Patek Nautilus? Should everyone just always get a rep of the most expensive watch possible and not the one they think looks cool?
Some valid points BUT the video IS two years old and things have moved on at a pace. I posted the video because somebody was interested. It explains how the clones are becoming so good and that was why I linked the video, NOT for that specific watch example. My friend put his recently bought Submariner with two-tone bracelet next to my gen the 'tells' from the video (and other similar videos) are no longer there. For all of the reasons mentioned in the video improvement and innovation are constant and you are simply looking at a very beautiful watch. As I stated previously (not sure if it was touched on in the video) the factories are even using cloned machinery now.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
I'm guessing you totally missed the "Head Honcho" under one of the poster's in this thread name. It seems you are the one who needs to learn how to read.

Also, goodbye. Soon.

No I knew who he was but he misread/misquoted my question and called it inane, I consider THAT rude and "learn to read' was a proportionate response.

Last edited:

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Because lots of people like Tudor, their design, brand and history.

Why are you so unable to grasp this extraordinarily simple premise?

I AM ACCEPTING IT and I HAVE GRASPED. Kindly re-read all of my posts, I have not rebutted or gainsaid one person who has come out in favour of Tudor, these were the comments I wanted to hear when I posted my QUESTION. I was not previously a fan of Tudor and wanted to learn. Almost all of my posts have been in response to people who have misread/misinterpreted/re-written my question and have thus torn down their own straw men..

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
... Slippery mirrors... Deeper hole....

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
I guess you're going all in so.:bees:

It would be the same answer, albeit with 'rep' added.

'Why buy a (rep) Tudor, because I like (rep) Tudors'

And they are not the same price, so your question is inane.

You seem to be a pedantic chap, amongst other things, so let's state facts.

Looking at JTimes site:
  • Tudors (all 36 of them) range from $338 to $458
  • Rolex (846 of them) but if we're looking at the top tier Sub offerings, on average, ~$5-$600. If we're looking at Daytonas that figure rises to $1,238 with the most popular offerings at $8-$900.
:goodnight:

I don't like being mis-read and mis-quoted, if that makes me pedantic, GUILTY.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Thanks for the knowledgeable and civil answer philwongnz. Won't repeat my Patek points but I am known amongst friends and family as owning a number of Rolex over the years and I recently traded in two well looked after Datejusts for my one year old but unworn Submariner. I want to keep it pristine for my son so will get a high end clone to wear and it's authenticity will never be questioned. (not until I make my grand exit anywayz :))
Thanks for your kind reply. Another thing to add is leveling out the planning field. I grew up with watches (my dad is a grey dealer) and personally I have been collecting for nearly 30 yrs gens back then are not "hype" like right now. Sure the 16520 craze started early and it definitely wasn't commanding crazy multiples with retails vs what whe see here right now. As a watch collector I see the current trend to be quite sad. Whether or not you like Rolex a lot of early collectors will aim Rolex to be their first "serious" or aspirational piece. For me a Sub is kinda like the "basic" Rolex you should be able to get. Back like 15 to even 7 or 8 yrs ago, when friends ask me what watch would I recommend them to buy. I always say a sub if you want something classic and hold their value and buy anything you like if you love something. It is a bit hard to say the same thing when a sub is no longer really affordable especially you want new. This ties back to reps as personally I don't have as much AD connections as a lot of higher value customers (my personal spending history at Harrods is around £100k), this commands nothing when we all know watches are now alloted to high net worth customers by sales staff that needa to be pampered. For example my friends buy champagne and chocolate for his sales assistant this is vs when I was collecting Panerais in the early 2010 (it was hyped then) and I got taken a yacht trip down the Thames with champagne and caviar. As a semi old school collector I found it a bit odd considering that I am giving them money but I have to treat them. Buying reps gives me the opportunity to buy watches I can't normally buy gen and it really gives anyone the opportunity to buy stuff that is beyond the hype and simply "buy what you want"; speaking broadly that you fortunate enough to spend $400-500 without too much stress financially. For me, the amount I spend on reps is just slightly more than a Pam strap so for me it is a no brainer to dig deeper into reps. Personally I have met a lot more passionate fokes on rep forums than gen forums and GTG. I'm not saying gen forum people are not nice, but people coming from reps tends to be less fortunate and like to ensure they get their monies worth and do their research and modding. While for gen, it is simply money and access, where access is kinda relate to money and status which for me can be a bit suffocating as I don't care how much you own or earn, I simply like watches and I treat someone the same regardless if they own a gen Paul Newman or someone who owns a rep.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I AM ACCEPTING IT and I HAVE GRASPED. Kindly re-read all of my posts, I have not rebutted or gainsaid one person who has come out in favour of Tudor, these were the comments I wanted to hear when I posted my QUESTION. I was not previously a fan of Tudor and wanted to learn. Almost all of my posts have been in response to people who have misread/misinterpreted/re-written my question and have thus torn down their own straw men..

Your question had nothing to do with learning about Tudor.

It was essentially a poorly composed version of “why would someone buy a fake Tudor when they can buy a fake Rolex instead?’

Which is inane.

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
Thanks for your kind reply. Another thing to add is leveling out the planning field. I grew up with watches (my dad is a grey dealer) and personally I have been collecting for nearly 30 yrs gens back then are not "hype" like right now. Sure the 16520 craze started early and it definitely wasn't commanding crazy multiples with retails vs what whe see here right now. As a watch collector I see the current trend to be quite sad. Whether or not you like Rolex a lot of early collectors will aim Rolex to be their first "serious" or aspirational piece. For me a Sub is kinda like the "basic" Rolex you should be able to get. Back like 15 to even 7 or 8 yrs ago, when friends ask me what watch would I recommend them to buy. I always say a sub if you want something classic and hold their value and buy anything you like if you love something. It is a bit hard to say the same thing when a sub is no longer really affordable especially you want new. This ties back to reps as personally I don't have as much AD connections as a lot of higher value customers (my personal spending history at Harrods is around £100k), this commands nothing when we all know watches are now alloted to high net worth customers by sales staff that needa to be pampered. For example my friends buy champagne and chocolate for his sales assistant this is vs when I was collecting Panerais in the early 2010 (it was hyped then) and I got taken a yacht trip down the Thames with champagne and caviar. As a semi old school collector I found it a bit odd considering that I am giving them money but I have to treat them. Buying reps gives me the opportunity to buy watches I can't normally buy gen and it really gives anyone the opportunity to buy stuff that is beyond the hype and simply "buy what you want"; speaking broadly that you fortunate enough to spend $400-500 without too much stress financially. For me, the amount I spend on reps is just slightly more than a Pam strap so for me it is a no brainer to dig deeper into reps. Personally I have met a lot more passionate fokes on rep forums than gen forums and GTG. I'm not saying gen forum people are not nice, but people coming from reps tends to be less fortunate and like to ensure they get their monies worth and do their research and modding. While for gen, it is simply money and access, where access is kinda relate to money and status which for me can be a bit suffocating as I don't care how much you own or earn, I simply like watches and I treat someone the same regardless if they own a gen Paul Newman or someone who owns a rep.

Interesting reading phil and much appreciated, thank you.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Your question had nothing to do with learning about Tudor.

It was essentially a poorly composed version of “why would someone buy a fake Tudor when they can buy a fake Rolex instead?’

Which is inane.

It’s an insane question on a watch enthusiast forum but let’s face it, the average joe down the street, who wants a “nice” watch, will probably be wondering the same thing (ie why get a Tudor when you can get a Rolex). It is what it is...people don’t get the point of a fake Tudor...my wife doesn’t...and I’ve had the same conversation with many local members when we talk swapping/trading watches - quite a few have said “what’s the point of a fake Tudor”. It is what it is. We can’t make people “get” Tudor.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20

It's kind of the same in Germany now.
The sales reps of regular jeweler ADs do not pamper you, but want to be pampered, i.e. have had them ask me if I can get them into my golf club or certain competitions that were invite only.

Whereas the Lange and Söhne boutique and the Patek salesmen here send me Champagne with a thank you card when I send them friends over to buy or look at something.

It's all up to the brand and the company you deal with.

RJames

Known Member
1/8/15
Texas
Some valid points BUT the video IS two years old and things have moved on at a pace. I posted the video because somebody was interested. It explains how the clones are becoming so good and that was why I linked the video, NOT for that specific watch example. My friend put his recently bought Submariner with two-tone bracelet next to my gen the 'tells' from the video (and other similar videos) are no longer there. For all of the reasons mentioned in the video improvement and innovation are constant and you are simply looking at a very beautiful watch. As I stated previously (not sure if it was touched on in the video) the factories are even using cloned machinery now.

I have a latest and greatest submariner which I picked up about two months ago. Its definitely better than the GMT Master in your video. It still has noticeable flaws, they're just not as loud anymore. The rehaut engraving is not as well defined as gen. The rehaut engraving spacing is still slightly off so by the time it reaches around 360 degrees there is slight misalignment. The bracelets are still not quite right. The LEC is still too loud, but better. The dial printing and hands are good, but not as sharp and clean as even my cheapest swiss gen (i.e. my beater F1 Tag Heuer).

Not sure there's a way of saying this without being a dick, but just because you can't tell doesn't mean others can't tell. They're getting really good, but they're still not at "you need a loupe to see" good and nowhere near fooling a dealer good. That's just visual inspection, none of the clone movements would fool anyone that knows anything once they crack the case open.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

Papa Legba

INMATE
15/7/22
I have a latest and greatest submariner which I picked up about two months ago. Its definitely better than the GMT Master in your video. It still has noticeable flaws, they're just not as loud anymore. The rehaut engraving is not as well defined as gen. The rehaut engraving spacing is still slightly off so by the time it reaches around 360 degrees there is slight misalignment. The bracelets are still not quite right. The LEC is still too loud, but better. The dial printing and hands are good, but not as sharp and clean as even my cheapest swiss gen (i.e. my beater F1 Tag Heuer).

Not sure there's a way of saying this without being a dick, but just because you can't tell doesn't mean others can't tell. They're getting really good, but they're still not at "you need a loupe to see" good and nowhere near fooling a dealer good. That's just visual inspection, none of the clone movements would fool anyone that knows anything once they crack the case open.

Hi, as previously stated the video is two years old and was posted because somebody was curious as to why the clones are now so good; the video explains this very well. The watch shown in the video is pretty much incidental and a two year old rep didn't fool me either. However, two years on and we are in a very different ball park.