• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special in bronze - little review

reign226

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/16
I just bought a double whammy of the Bronze and also the Blue Dial. Unfortunately the weight of the Bronze is even less than the stainless steel blue dial, leading me to suspect that the bronze is actually plated stainless steel.

The weight of the blue dial comes up to about 12xg while the bronze is 11xg. I was expecting the bronze to be much heavier as it is a denser metal.

Can anyone here weigh their bronze? Lets see if this is the ballpark figures. Weights are with the factory straps on. I will post the photos up once I finished uploading them.

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
Hmm... interesting.. I thought its a full bronze case as it reacts well when introduced to H2S.

Only annoying thing is that the crown isnt the same material as the case. The patina rubs off easily on the crown

The entire watch weighs about 120grams

Watch head with springbars weigh in at 102grams

The straps are disappointingly lightweight lol

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
I just bought a double whammy of the Bronze and also the Blue Dial. Unfortunately the weight of the Bronze is even less than the stainless steel blue dial, leading me to suspect that the bronze is actually plated stainless steel.

The weight of the blue dial comes up to about 12xg while the bronze is 11xg. I was expecting the bronze to be much heavier as it is a denser metal.

Can anyone here weigh their bronze? Lets see if this is the ballpark figures. Weights are with the factory straps on. I will post the photos up once I finished uploading them.

Hmm... interesting.. I thought its a full bronze case as it reacts well when introduced to H2S.

Only annoying thing is that the crown isnt the same material as the case. The patina rubs off easily on the crown

The straps are disappointingly lightweight lo

reign226

9/5/16
Hello, Selamat Pagi greetings from Malaysia as well =D

I can't get iCloud private share to work with this BB so the link to the public gallery is available here.

Lots of high res pics taken. Tonight I will take out the caseback and do some macro shots.

reign226

9/5/16

The straps are disappointingly lightweight lo

Thanks, the figures are in line with what I got as well (see my public album linked above). I am taking out the caseback and weighing the watches without straps and caseback to get an accurate weight comparison tonight.

The caseback on the bronze is Titanium while the SS version is full stainless steel (including caseback cover). This is evident as well when I took off my bronze caseback cover it is light and matted (while the SS version is shiny as heck). I suspect the weight difference is purely due to this cover. We shall find out tonight.

This is just as well because both the SS and Bronze version is purchased with the same A2824 movement, so it's as close a comparison as you are going to get.

Some forumers suggested pricking the bronze with something sharp to see if you can remove the plating. If it's still brown underneath then it's full bronze caseback. Probably something I can and will do within the caseback as it is not visible normally. The outside has some green oxidation so definitely bronze is being used but to what degree?

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
Thanks, the figures are in line with what I got as well (see my public album linked above). I am taking out the caseback and weighing the watches without straps and caseback to get an accurate weight comparison tonight.

The caseback on the bronze is Titanium while the SS version is full stainless steel (including caseback cover). This is evident as well when I took off my bronze caseback cover it is light and matted (while the SS version is shiny as heck). I suspect the weight difference is purely due to this cover. We shall find out tonight.

This is just as well because both the SS and Bronze version is purchased with the same A2824 movement, so it's as close a comparison as you are going to get.

Some forumers suggested pricking the bronze with something sharp to see if you can remove the plating. If it's still brown underneath then it's full bronze caseback. Probably something I can and will do within the caseback as it is not visible normally. The outside has some green oxidation so definitely bronze is being used but to what degree?

Why obsess so much on the weight of things?

Mine is Miyota based

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
It's bronze. It's not plated. And bronze is cheap. I've got a few bronze watches similar in size. They all weigh approximately the same. It's a well made watch as you can see in person now that you own one. Surprisingly well made actually. Reminds me of the old days when Eddie Lee sent me the first 3717 batch ever made. Perfect watch.

reign226

9/5/16
It's bronze. It's not plated. And bronze is cheap. I've got a few bronze watches similar in size. They all weigh approximately the same. It's a well made watch as you can see in person now that you own one. Surprisingly well made actually. Reminds me of the old days when Eddie Lee sent me the first 3717 batch ever made. Perfect watch.

I agree the watch is very well made. Another thing I noticed is that on the Bronze, the edges of the numerals have a slight sheen/glow. As if there is a bevel on the edges where the numerals meet the dial and coated it in reflective substance of some kind.

This was not noticeable on the SS version, where the numerals appear to be directly bonded to the dial with no sheen/bevel where they meet.

It's very obvious when viewing under bright light or outdoors I wonder what is causing it. I prefer the appearance of the matte SS numerals more.

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Interesting observation. I've recently noticed what you're describing. The numerals scintillate or shimmer because of this.

What I really like is the crystal. Nobody has mentioned this very much. The crystal is great! The shape is really stunning in person. The slight beveled edge, the slight dome, the very small bezel, ... , the crystal really is terrific and it makes the watch appear like a pocketwatch. This is one of those watches that needs to be seen in person to understand its proportions. The thin lugs make the watch very wearable.

reign226

9/5/16
Interesting observation. I've recently noticed what you're describing. The numerals scintillate or shimmer because of this.

What I really like is the crystal. Nobody has mentioned this very much. The crystal is great! The shape is really stunning in person. The slight beveled edge, the slight dome, the very small bezel, ... , the crystal really is terrific and it makes the watch appear like a pocketwatch. This is one of those watches that needs to be seen in person to understand its proportions. The thin lugs make the watch very wearable.

Yes! Looks like it is a bronze thing. Maker mistake? It makes it appear is if someone stuck the numerals onto the dial with a little bit too much glue causing it to run off over the sides. But it is not, because the shimmer is uniformly distributed over the edges so it must be machined somehow. I need to get some macro shots in tonight to see what is causing it.

The watch is 45mm, large-ish but because of the design of the lugs it fits into smaller hands easily and comfortably.

reign226

9/5/16
Album updated with some macro shots. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0G532ODWg2ZKc

Discovery is that the titanium caseback on the bronze is half the weight of the SS version.

The bronze is actually a few grams heavier than the SS version with the caseback removed. Overall, very impressed.

I managed to capture the shimmering effect of the bronze numerals in one of the photos. Compared to the SS, it is something I didn't really like. AR coating is there but I feel the reflections are still quite a bit strong.

Enjoy the photos.

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
I'm soo tempted by the blue dial TWG version.....

:/

somebody save me....

sub05

19/7/15
Sorry to be way off topic here, but wonder if anyone are willing to sell me either the buckle or the complete strap for the bronze version. The reason why I ask is that the star on buckle of mine has gone MIA.
I think my TD wants way too much for the buckle, so I thought maybe give this a try.

Feel free to remove this post if I am way out of line here.

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
It's spot welded just like all the Rolex crowns on Rolex buckles. If it comes off and you find it, you can use JB Weld.

Legion

2/3/15
I managed to scratch mine on the way to work this morning.
Is the crystal really sapphire? I squashed past a crowd in the underground and watch scratched the wall.. I've hit my Tissot many times and still never managed to scratch it.

This must be weaker?