• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} Franken Project Part Three: The Fantasy PAM243 La Bomba

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

So, I have a fascination with genuine tritium dials. This is well established. There’s just something about the Panerai era from 1993 through 2003-ish that maintains that “hand made†look that has been gradually lost in the years that followed. In particular I love the Panerai Submersibles and have been jumping at every chance I have to source a gen Sub dial.
Naturally, when I had a shot at a gen PAM087 E Series La Bomba dial, in all of its royal blue and yellow patina glory, I had to pull the trigger.

The only problem is where the hell do I source a good case for the dial? This question is rhetorical… There’s virtually no way. These watches are long since buried in the watch boxes of collectors that have moved on from the hobby or guard them jealously with insane asking prices.

Then it hit me. I remember reading somewhere that the PAM243 is actually a redesign of the PAM087. I thought, what’s a more fitting way to improve one of the best replicas ever made than to fit it with the genuine dial of the watch that inspired it? This question is rhetorical…there isn’t a better way;)

This is the La Bomba PAM087E. You can see it is based on the classic 44mm La Bomba mid case. Also shared with the PAM064. The CGs were unique to the La Bomba Subs of the time period with 1000m engraved on the lever. Some call it “Tuna Can†Sub, but I reject that. I think the only Tuna Can is THE Tuna Can PAM193 47mm Depth Guage mid case. The "Less dial and more bezel" and unique CG separate it from the other less beefy subs of the time like the PAM024 and PAM025

Now for the PAM243. It is actually a cross between the Tuna Can and the La Bomba. It has a 44mm fiddy mid case, Tuna Can (fiddy) CG with 1000m engraved lever, and the La Bomba bezel/dial size. The main thing that ties it to the La Bomba is the bezel and complications.

This leads to me to last night when I got my Noob PAM243 in the mail and sat down to give this project a go… The big question I had in my mind was, will the dial fit?

The gen La Bomba dial is surprisingly small measuring at 29.57mm

I stopped along the way to admire the internal case construction of the Noob 243, this thing is seriously gen like and amazing. The caseback O Rings are twice as thick as any other rep O ring I have seen and it has the proper gen double O ring system: one on the case back and one on the case.

All I could hear was a drum roll in my head as I carefully mic'd the beautiful PAM243 dial. “PLEASE be the right size!â€

“Boom goes the dynamite†(google it)…. Huzzah! We are in business, mates! The Pam243 dials measures a perfect 29.68mm. Time to build!
Once again, I had to stop along the way to admire the quality of the Noob finish and components. There were no excess oil smudges on the movement, no finger prints. The dial retainer arms had a tight fitting, strong feeling to them. It very much reminded me of the genuine Panerai 7750 movement that I have. And the dial has a beautiful semi-matte finish, identical to the gen dials I have handled.

One thing I The blue paint on the La Bomba dial is less even and almost has a texture to it. Maybe it's the varnish that caused the texture appearance? However the concentric circles are still plain as day on the 087 Dial.

In contrast, they are ALMOST non-existent on the 243. They are faint, but I think they are there.

Anyway… assemble, press, grease, This big beauty is ready to go.

I give you my first intentionally “WRONG†Fantasy Franken the PAM243 La Bomba

If this is wrong, I don’t want to be right;)

GBOGH

I'm Pretty Popular
24/8/10
Franken Project Part Three: The Fantasy PAM243 La Bomba

Lurvly. Payment sent with ship to info.

Thanks!

faberjay111

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/12
Wow...that looks absolutely amazing!

I had a chance to buy a franken 87(gen dial and hands) a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the funds at the time. I still feel bad about missing that one.

Congrats on a great looking watch!

D

d4m.test

Lurvly. Payment sent with ship to info.

Thanks!

OHPF...

Mods Please mark

Just kidding

Wow...that looks absolutely amazing!

I had a chance to buy a franken 87(gen dial and hands) a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the funds at the time. I still feel bad about missing that one.

Congrats on a great looking watch!

Thanks J, I am glad I went this route instead of pursuing the Rep case. The fit and finish of the PAM243 is astounding. It's the best of both worlds and it makes for a neat story.

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
That's simply amazingly beautiful.

Very very very nice build, I love it !!!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Mate, call it wrong, call it fantasy, call it whatever... this is a beautiful build and I admire your commitment to these historical pieces!

M.Jules

Renowned Member
Supporting Vendor
Supporter
6/1/13
this is so beautiful!!!

good job mate!

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
This makes me want to ask Vinni if he can get this dial so I can do it to mine. Looks amazing.

D

d4m.test

Gents, thanks for the kind words. There was no skill involved with this build, no luming or shaping, just a neat idea. I might go back and relume the hands and pearl and do some shaping on the CG.

This makes me want to ask Vinni if he can get this dial so I can do it to mine. Looks amazing.

COLDI, I actually didn't get this from V

But he has had a few of these for sale over the last year, so it can't hurt to ask!

D

d4m.test

I had a good question about the hands. I am not sure what to do about them. I was thinking about reluming before I built the watch, but I had a good long look at my PAM025A and I decided that it looked darn close as is. Through all of my picture studies and working with real tritium hands and dials I have determined that there really is no "matching" tritium. The tritium hands are almost always lighter than the dial lume. The hands lume tends to range from creamy white, to yellow, to almost a greenish-tan color. There was either major variation in how the lume aged and decayed or differences in the formulation of the lume possibly from different suppliers. Here's what I mean: This is about as close to "matching" as you can get and even then white balance is a bit saturated, so it could be washing out some of the true color.

Now, here is my PAM025 Franken with gen tritium dial and hands, notice the greenish/creamy yellow color

Now, here is the 243 La Bomba, The hands color versus the dial color looks REALLY close to the PAM025 shown above.

Here's a different angle

My PAM025

My PAM243 La Bomba

I actually think the rep lume looks more yellow and more cleanly "matching" than the gen lume.

What do you guys think?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Grim you never cease to amaze me !!

The build is impressive
The story and development are interesting and fun
This kind of things are what makes this hobby beautiful
The final result is really awesome

I'm really jealous of your skills and knowledge

I will include this build in PAM GUIDE (in PAM 087 La Bomba)
Rep points added

Congrats
ALE

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Grim, interesting comparison between gen and rep hands.

Rep hands look a tad greener in my screen, but the difference is so minuscule that could really be due to different batch of production or different aging of lume as you said.
You could find a similar difference if you buy another set of gen hands imho.

I'm not the nitpickiest guy, but to me the rep hands look perfectly good on the dial, I would not change them :)

D

d4m.test

Grim you never cease to amaze me !!

The build is impressive
The story and development are interesting and fun
This kind of things are what makes this hobby beautiful
The final result is really awesome

I'm really jealous of your skills and knowledge

I will include this build in PAM GUIDE (in PAM 087 La Bomba)
Rep points added

Congrats
ALE

Ale, don't be too impressed, this was an easy one;) I just had a good idea and the luck to find a great dial! Without the PAM guide and RWI, I never would have stepped into this hobby, so THANK YOU!!!

Grim, interesting comparison between gen and rep hands.

I'm not the nitpickiest guy, but to me the rep hands look perfectly good on the dial, I would not change them :)

I am tending to agree here. I don't think I'll touch them

Nice FRANKTASY!! ;)

This term has been officially coined! Awesome.

D

d4m.test

Going for a swim today, so I have the 243 La Bomba on a custom made Mille Metri strap made possible by a 22mm Pre-V buckle from my good friend Elias.

5A6F6C37-CA17-47B6-A85B-65FACDE97B36-6671-0000056E2C9BE501_zpsee1187ac.jpg

1DEDF8D7-D206-4DFB-BA49-36F7EDFA8DC8-6671-0000056E3524A5F6_zps59ee7390.jpg

CEE17AA2-D998-45F2-939D-E6ED7648C402-6671-0000056E31D47A6D_zpse7a5b7c1.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Ale, don't be too impressed, this was an easy one;) I just had a good idea and the luck to find a great dial! Without the PAM guide and RWI, I never would have stepped into this hobby, so THANK YOU!!!

You are really modest
I know this is actually easy for you !! and that is what I more admire.
Hands colour is perfect IMO

Thanks for your comments about the forum.
It is awesome to see RWI usually has nowadays more 2000 users on-line
This is a good job of all members and the Staff

I remember some years ago the RWI users average was about 400-500 users !!

Nowadays we have surpassed by far all similar forums

Good job !!

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Going for a swim today, so I have the 243 La Bomba on a custom made Mille Metri strap made possible by a 22mm Pre-V buckle from my good friend Elias.

5A6F6C37-CA17-47B6-A85B-65FACDE97B36-6671-0000056E2C9BE501_zpsee1187ac.jpg

Grim, I like more and more this watch
ALE

Rusell Price

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/11/13
Puf!!! Simply A-MA-ZI-NG

Nice and superb Work, taste and this watch I thing is the PERFECT COMBINATION for Panerai Learn what is a good submersible...

Really Nice work Grim. Really and absolute SPECTACULAR WORK!

LOL!!