• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Riverwind85

26/4/18
0de4aae35b0bdbb8cc3d337ed54b2c59.jpg

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Tompa talking about Noob cases your old Noob Vampire is gonna get major changes.
Frankening project launched, hunt for the parts has started. All this is veeeery exciting!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Tompa

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Tompa talking about Noob cases your old Noob Vampire is gonna get major changes.
Frankening project launched, hunt for the parts has started. All this is veeeery exciting!

Can't wait to see. Keep us updated.

Reactions: mrsullivan

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden

Nice!! Cant wait to see it. What dial Are you going for? Vampire?

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Riverwind85

26/4/18
That is a serious dial
15300, right?

How are you planning to Fraken it, with what version? And who to do it?

Should be a 15002.
2121 movement
Gen hands
Xf 15202 base with jf screws white gold plated thinned, closed caseback from mbw or dc(sead) and clasp from mbw.
That is the plan then we’ll see

Reactions: asanibal

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
Should be a 15002.
2121 movement
Gen hands
Xf 15202 base with jf screws white gold plated thinned, closed caseback from mbw or dc(sead) and clasp from mbw.

That is a plan!!
Good luck !!

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Should be a 15002.
2121 movement
Gen hands

Wow! Amazing

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
If you want to franken the newer models with glas caseback trie to get an noob model. There caseback and bezels have more brushed areas then JF. JF have more polished. (And you will cut in the brushed areas. Here is pics of a noob and the a JF vampire. And its the same with the bezel
2f485733b2c77c143bc2aed453614f07.jpg

c75329f92501538fe74e761924ed39d1.jpg

2f485733b2c77c143bc2aed453614f07.jpg

ab56862c4e374ac557152af519e47ec9.jpg

aec28245c0eb67a46439ff40bc9b7910.jpg

Are the Noob models still being sold?
Do the SIHH 2014+ Noob models have same funny plot setup (can’t take gen or JF straps easily)?

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Are the Noob models still being sold?
Do the SIHH 2014+ Noob models have same funny plot setup (can’t take gen or JF straps easily)?

Yeah i think so. Some td stil have them. I bought both a NOOB 2014 safari and a vampire. Yes unfortunate they still use/used that plot setup,:/ so you buy them only for the bezel and casebacks.(if you dont have drill and welding knowledge)

Reactions: Jurgenk

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Nice!! Cant wait to see it. What dial Are you going for? Vampire?

Yes I'll keep the watch Vampire, love it.

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Yeah i think so. Some td stil have them. I bought both a NOOB 2014 safari and a vampire. Yes unfortunate they still use/used that plot setup,:/ so you buy them only for the bezel and casebacks.(if you dont have drill and welding knowledge)

I don’t know what you guys are talking about but I think the Noob midcase is far more superior than JF for franken. The geometry is gen-spec. Just put any Diver plots on the case you have a 99% gen fitment

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
I don’t know what you guys are talking about but I think the Noob midcase is far more superior than JF for franken. The geometry is gen-spec. Just put any Diver plots on the case you have a 99% gen fitment

Noobs lugs are thicker than JF which can be a good thing because it leaves more rfe but needs to be addressed. The pushers cut out often looks better. The chamfers not so much. I’d stick to JF mid case when possible to avoid fitting issues.

Reactions: Tompa and Jurgenk

tinitonsi

Patron
Certified
21/3/14
Noobs lugs are thicker than JF which can be a good thing because it leaves more rfe but needs to be addressed. The pushers cut out often looks better. The chamfers not so much. I’d stick to JF mid case when possible to avoid fitting issues.

Mod, just read my previous last sentence to avoid that issue ;)
The JF fitting is not gen spec and you can spot that at 10mt on the wrist, stock or franken. Believe or not, unfortunately :(

Reactions: QueTip

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
There are systematic alignment and dimensioning issues with both JF and Noob mid-cases. Each requires a slightly different approach on the mill/CNC/lathe as Franken base. After years of working with each, I have no clear favorite. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. In general, stock JFs are cut sharper and better finished but have ragged pusher cut outs very often (one of many of my pet peeves) and now the "double burger" caseback which makes their releases 17cm thick now. The Noobs are a little less precisely cut stock (esp on lugs and the chamfers, their plot screw taps are notoriously bad accounting for a lot of stuck plot screws), but the dimensioning seems more like a gen. But I hate the large classic Noob bezel screws. Overall, maybe the best solution is to combine them in a mash-up, like always. And to re-tap and re-finish with professional equipment. What I however hate is getting a mid-case with poor alignment of bezel screw geometry to the lug cut-outs--there is very little I can do to fix that except re-drill the mid-case bezel screw holes or off-center the movement holder tap or play with the bezel gasket. All of that is a PITA and takes ages.

Last edited:

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Four reasoned opinions from 4 highly informed sources—

My takeaways:

1. I knew the lug geometry on JFs wasn’t gen-like in proportions but when tinitonsi says it’s obvious at 10m, he would know and that is a bit haunting.
2. On the other hand getting lug screws stuck and/or stripping mid case lug threads is an extremely annoying situation and an instant dealbreaker for me.
3. Noob bezels and bezel screws are an instant tell.
4. Good chamfers and crisp edging are the the entire appeal of AP so if you don’t have that what’s the point?
5. Buying a noob just for the caseback and a spare bezel seems a little wasteful, but you got to break a few eggs to make these omelettes.
6. I need to try the diver plot trick on a Noob mid-case.

Last edited:

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
Mod, just read my previous last sentence to avoid that issue ;)
The JF fitting is not gen spec and you can spot that at 10mt on the wrist, stock or franken. Believe or not, unfortunately :(

You have a point, can’t deny that.

Reactions: tinitonsi

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Is there someone in rwi that have made a 44mm franken? If please post some pictures and specs.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Is there someone in rwi that have made a 44mm franken? If please post some pictures and specs.

Good question, I see dials frequently for sale and always think about it

Reactions: Tompa