• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Rolex Smurf

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
If they can plate SS in 18k yellow gold, why then can they not plate SS in 18k white gold so it at least a WG rep looks right? I think they plated my wife's white gold engagement and wedding rings in Rhodium. Can they not Rhodium plate that SS watch for the 18k white look? If they did, I'd buy. But colour + weight = obvious rep.

Last edited:

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
If they can plate SS in 18k yellow gold, wy then can they not plate SS in 18k white gold so it at least a WG rep looks right? I think they plated my wife's white gold engagement and wedding rings in Rhodium. Can they not Rhodium pate that SS watch for the 18k white look?

Because the people who care, know or would notice make up a tiny fraction of the market sales.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
If they can plate SS in 18k yellow gold, why then can they not plate SS in 18k white gold so it at least a WG rep looks right? I think they plated my wife's white gold engagement and wedding rings in Rhodium. Can they not Rhodium plate that SS watch for the 18k white look? If they did, I'd buy. But colour + weight = obvious rep.

No point....rhodium lasts 6 months tops on rings and watches and that's generous for some mom and pop shop doing it in the back with a spoon of solution mix. Rings and watches are the worst type of jewelry to plate because of the wear they receive. Also you need an activator for the SS since rhodium is an acid solution and would react with the steel alloys.
You would need to plate with nickel first for it to stick but would stick best with pure gold. Rhodium plating has lots of pores, meaning it allows small surface tarnish to form so you need minimum 20 microns thick for it to last well.

I'm assuming they electrpolish the bracelet with the basic formula of Glycolic acid 55%, sulfuric acid 30%, water 15%.

If the colour was yellow gold I agree it's very noticeable between plated and solid however white gold and electropolished SS both reflect 75% of the light.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
No point....rhodium lasts 6 months tops on rings and watches and that's generous for some mom and pop shop doing it in the back with a spoon of solution mix. Rings and watches are the worst type of jewelry to plate because of the wear they receive. Also you need an activator for the SS since rhodium is an acid solution and would react with the steel alloys.
You would need to plate with nickel first for it to stick but would stick best with pure gold. Rhodium plating has lots of pores, meaning it allows small surface tarnish to form so you need minimum 20 microns thick for it to last well.

I'm assuming they electrpolish the bracelet with the basic formula of Glycolic acid 55%, sulfuric acid 30%, water 15%.

If the colour was yellow gold I agree it's very noticeable between plated and solid however white gold and electropolished SS both reflect 75% of the light.
Science ftw. Kickass description!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU

Let’s say hypothetically the VSF Smurf was plated in nickel and then plated in WG. Would the polished elements such as the side of the case and mid links need to be repolished? If so, I’m assuming that would cause an issue in removing the plating during the process?

emdeevee

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/13
Southern California
I've been wearing my Noob v3 Smurf with BP dial for many years. It was such an early model, the insert numbers were white. At the time, probably 2015, I had to send it to @smoke for a platinum job. Added the gen crystal, and I've loved it.

But alas, this new VSF might be better!
4055b0a9f9b585ca7fbe0383ab42c3bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk