• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor FXD

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Maybe it's me, but my biggest fear with reps are movements that may grenade eventually and cannot be replaced. I therefore prefer an ETA, a Sellita, a Seiko, or a JAPANESE Miyota. If that thing breaks, it can be replaced for the price of a Happy Meal by any watchmaker in the world, easily. A JAPANESE Miyota is like a Toyota. It's pretty much bullet proof and runs and runs and runs forever.
Its beat rate is too slow? Its rotor is noisy? Seriously? First world problems . . .
I'm glad it was a Miyota. When my FXD stem snapped it cost me 10 bucks to replace and repair.

Loud unidirectional rotor noise is the most complained about thing but it's braindead to fix... my friend's new 126x sub has a horribly loud rotor....

• Haha
Reactions: b2c4g8 and Hesekiel

plt40mm

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/12/23
europe
Maybe it's me, but my biggest fear with reps are movements that may grenade eventually and cannot be replaced. I therefore prefer an ETA, a Sellita, a Seiko, or a JAPANESE Miyota. If that thing breaks, it can be replaced for the price of a Happy Meal by any watchmaker in the world, easily. A JAPANESE Miyota is like a Toyota. It's pretty much bullet proof and runs and runs and runs forever.
Its beat rate is too slow? Its rotor is noisy? Seriously? First world problems . . .
as our whole Hobby is to be consideres as a first world Problem... ;)

tripwire759

Time Is a Thief
3/11/23

Why would you WANT to replace a bullet-proof GEN Japanese Miyota 8N-24 in the first place?

https://miyotamovement.com/product/8N24/

https://miyotamovement.com/product/9015/

Just because of the higher beat rate, or why?
The 9015 has a date wheel which is not needed. A 9039 maybe but would need a spacer of some kind since the 9039/9015 are thinner? Are Miyota's bullet-proof or just the 8N-24? From reading seems like most are.

Although a rep and not a gen, it will always be off for me. Just like I don't wear watches that are below 40 mm either. For me it is a preference.

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
You can replace if your movement craps out or if you really want a higher beat movement. As to the date wheel, you can leave it on or literally take it off. It'll fit. A good watchmaker can also alter the keyless to remove the date stop on the crown too.

Reactions: b2c4g8

freelancer10000

Certified
12/2/24
UK
On the subject of height, has anyone who’s had a chance to compare the rep with gen noticed much of a difference in thickness of the caseback?

I think from memory the rep is very slightly thicker. Looking at pics too I think the caseback on the rep protrudes slightly more, but I might be getting it wrong as I couldn’t find any clear side profile pics of the gen to directly compare.

Basically I want to know if, on the gen, the lugs are level with (or lower than) the caseback if you lay the case down on a flat surface (I.e. the lugs will touch the surface too and not just the caseback, as the rep does).

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Purely based on images I've studied of GENs and replicas, the case backs appear to be identical. The apparent reason they went with the Miyota for the FXD is the reduced thickness of that watch, and the 8N24 seems to be a great fit, GEN, reliable, and thin.

As far as I know, the only "issues" are (1) that the crown sits a fraction lower in the case, (2) that the lume tone is reported to be a notch more yellow, and (3) questionable quality control, based on a watch offered right now, right here on RWI at M2M, that has a crooked 9 hour marker. If ordering one of these, and I'm close to doing so, paying extra attention to the photos is of paramount importance to avoid getting a watch that will be very difficult to sell again.

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
From Miyota's website:

8N24
Size: 11.5 lignes
Height: 5.5mm

Size: 11.5 lignes
Height: 3.9mm

Hand size is identical. So even with a date function, the 9015 is still slimmer. But aside from the lower beat rate, the 8N24 seems to be a solid, robust movement. Mine is running great, 3 months in now.

freelancer10000

Certified
12/2/24
UK
Purely based on images I've studied of GENs and replicas, the case backs appear to be identical. The apparent reason they went with the Miyota for the FXD is the reduced thickness of that watch, and the 8N24 seems to be a great fit, GEN, reliable, and thin.

As far as I know, the only "issues" are (1) that the crown sits a fraction lower in the case, (2) that the lume tone is reported to be a notch more yellow, and (3) questionable quality control, based on a watch offered right now, right here on RWI at M2M, that has a crooked 9 hour marker. If ordering one of these, and I'm close to doing so, paying extra attention to the photos is of paramount importance to avoid getting a watch that will be very difficult to sell again.
From the pics I've seen of the Gen, compared to my rep of the black version, I think the caseback on the rep might be a smidge thicker. It's difficult to tell though. Post #281 in this thread gives some pretty decent shots but not quite the right angle to tell for sure - on both watches the lugs look like they're raised off of the surface a smidge so they may well be pretty much identical thickness of the caseback.

I can confirm that the lume is slightly yellow on mine. I don't think the 9 hour marker is crooked though, certainly not enough for it to be noticeable to me.

freelancer10000

Certified
12/2/24
UK
The bezel font still slightly off? I note the 5 and 4's are too fat font compared to gen.
I hadn't noticed that, although tbh I hadn't read about it before so wasn't looking. In some lights you can see the numerals on the bezel are painted on (as previously mentioned in this thread, they're slightly raised and have a sheen to them).

fspot

Known Member
11/11/10
EU
Do all of these new blue FXDs have creamy indexes?

Also, from the pictures posted here, on some watches it seems the color of the indexes and the color of the bezel markers are different. Bezel markers look white, while indexes look creamy.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Do all of these new blue FXDs have creamy indexes?

Also, from the pictures posted here, on some watches it seems the color of the indexes and the color of the bezel markers are different. Bezel markers look white, while indexes look creamy.
Yes this is a well known issue. Please scroll back a few pages. All of the FXDs have slightly creamy indexes.

I own the replica.

But also, to be honest with you, after 1-2 months of owning it, it's not a big deal. Lighting and everything changes the color drastically. It's only really noticeable in bright harsh artifical lighting.

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
Well full disclosure. Today I went to rotate my FXD onto the wrist, went to set the time and the crown came out.

off to the spa it goes. grrr

Reactions: b2c4g8 and Reaps

freelancer10000

Certified
12/2/24
UK
What about in bright sunlight?

Is the color of the indexes and the color of the bezel markers the same?
We've not yet had enough sunshine to tell here :LOL:

I do notice the creamy lume under 'normal' indoor lights (but we've got quite bright lightbulbs so that could account for it being more obvious). I can't say I've noticed a difference between the indices and the bezel markings when wearing. If you look closely you could probably spot a bit of a difference, but I'd say the creaminess of the indices stands out more in itself than any mismatch.

freelancer10000

Certified
12/2/24
UK
Well full disclosure. Today I went to rotate my FXD onto the wrist, went to set the time and the crown came out.

off to the spa it goes. grrr
You've got me worried now that the same might happen to mine! Any tips for avoiding it happening? (apart from being very very careful when pulling out the stem I suppose!)