• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
There will be a line of people asking you to build one for them!!
I think it's quite self-doable, even with my relatively limited skills. I even have all the tools to remove and re-attach the hands, but I don't even think you'd need that for this project. Lol

What do you need? Obviously, the parts...

But skill wise (based on previous work):
I can remove a crown and stem
I can screw/unscrew movement tabs / holder
I can open/close casebacks
I can remove/attach hands
I can remove/attach dials
I can use a crystal/caseback press

I could pull this one off 😂😂

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to get ahold of the MoonSwatch dial and movement as you can't open it from the back. My guess is by removing the crystal???

Reactions: Karbon74 and Eddio

Beartooth

CREAM OF THE CROP
Patron
Certified
22/2/22
Nuclear sponge
The only thing I'm not sure about is how to get ahold of the MoonSwatch dial and movement as you can't open it from the back. My guess is by removing the crystal???
I think OP used a moonswatch rep. Apologies if I'm incorrect.

Reactions: Eddio

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
Wild guess: Close to 0.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt. Some of the pro modders here may be able to give a more definite answer. But from my limited knowledge, I can't think of a mechanical movement with the same layout, at least none that is known as "cost-effective"...
Perhaps you can add one of the pro modders to this topic if you know one of them? I would be interested in their view on this question by @kidcreole.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
Ah yeah!

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

So the rep cases aren't "sealed" like the gen MoonSwatches?

Reactions: Beartooth and Eddio

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
You are completely correct so no apologies needed. I mentioned this also at the beginning of the thread where people can find a list of items i used to build this. The rep has a pop off caseback (something the Swatch group could learn from since this makes these 40 dollar reps servicable and the 250 dollar originals not).

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Ah yeah!

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

So the rep cases aren't "sealed" like the gen MoonSwatches?
Exactemundo. Easy in case of any needed repairs. The gens can only be binned when the movement has issues except battery swaps ofcourse.

Reactions: eBoy

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
If you want you can replace the movement in the rep Moonswatch with the movement inside the gen:
https://calibercorner.com/swatch-moonswatch-movement/
Its the G10:212: https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-g10-212/

They run about $50 on ebay.
Interesting but i am missing the improvement besides durabiltity when placing this movement. The PE50 has a more sweeping chrono hand and this gen movement a dead second ticking hand. And also these Sunon movements cost less then 3 dollars and are easy to purchase.

Reactions: R2L

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
I think it's quite self-doable, even with my relatively limited skills. I even have all the tools to remove and re-attach the hands, but I don't even think you'd need that for this project. Lol

What do you need? Obviously, the parts...

But skill wise (based on previous work):
I can remove a crown and stem
I can screw/unscrew movement tabs / holder
I can open/close casebacks
I can remove/attach hands
I can remove/attach dials
I can use a crystal/caseback press

I could pull this one off 😂😂

Movement with dial and hands still on it was placed into the new case. The rep moonswatches have a pop off caseback, easy peasy. 2 things that are difficult on this build is fitting the movement into the metal case and sizing the new stem to fit the new case. The rest is "easy"

Reactions: eBoy

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
There will be a line of people asking you to build one for them!!
Hahahh they are welcome but this is not that hard to build yourself. I am also not a seasoned modder in any way, its as mentioned in Scrubs "learn by doing". Have fun, a little bit of patience, gentle swearing and love at first sight when you finished it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
@Ride2live with fixed you mean it always moves instead of start / stop it while using the chrono?
Checked the sunon website but changing it to the "better" PE90 movement is no use since that has the same. Wow. did not notice that! Thanks for the info!
I do think i could live with a fixed subdial more then having a dead second chrono hand feom that gen movement.

R2L

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Interesting but i am missing the improvement besides durabiltity when placing this movement. The PE50 has a more sweeping chrono hand and this gen movement a dead second ticking hand. And also these Sunon movements cost less then 3 dollars and are easy to purchase.
In that case the PE50 better meets your needs. The gen movement allows the rep to appear as gen, with the 2:00 (before i said 3:00 and that is not correct) subregister providing correct information (not as a 2nd time zone or whatever it actually does), and resetting to zero when the chron is reset.

Reactions: Hesekiel

R2L

Respected Member
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
@Ride2live with fixed you mean it always moves instead of start / stop it while using the chrono?
Checked the sunon website but changing it to the "better" PE90 movement is no use since that has the same. Wow. did not notice that! Thanks for the info!
I do think i could live with a fixed subdial more then having a dead second chrono hand feom that gen movement.
Poor choice of words on my part. Should have said it behaves like on the gen with it being a 1/10 second counter and resets to zero when chrono is reset. I also read somewhere it shows the days of the week but I’m not sure if i understand that correctly.

Reactions: Hesekiel