• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
Anyone can help????
So i found the Project Alaska caseback rep on trustytime but its a 42mm case.

https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_81&products_id=19694

Does anyone know a TD who has a version in 40mm? Long shot but had to ask.

Other option would be to think about a way i can add the text "Alaska Project" in black letters, any thoughts?

And finally, has there ever been a rep Alaska projrect white velcro Nasa strap with the red text as can be seen at the beginning of this thread? Another long shot but hey have to try. Thanks all!!! Lets shoot for the Moon.. ehh Alaska... and see how close it can be build towards a alaska project but still with the Moonswatch dial.

Thanks for your time!!!!

HacknHand

Getting To Know The Place
10/3/22
lol, this is epic, thanks for be inquisitive and adventurous @Eddio, and most of all, thanks for posting great info and pics!

My DHGate US$27 reps of Mercury and Pluto arrived today and I can see this being a fun and worthwhile project.

Reactions: Dollhorn and Eddio

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
That Sun is a pretty amazing chop, think someone needs to make that one ASAP... Could be a fun project!
Well, i have a Mission to the n lying around. Maybe i will test to see how it looks....
lol, this is epic, thanks for be inquisitive and adventurous @Eddio, and most of all, thanks for posting great info and pics!

My DHGate US$27 reps of Mercury and Pluto arrived today and I can see this being a fun and worthwhile project.
Thanks for the kind words mate! It is what this hobby is all about. Having fun, enjoying great pieces and sharing it with fellow watch fans. And dont think i am a experienced modder, i am NOT!! I am what you say adventurous! Cool to see people getting excited and or inspired!!

My other mod is more adventurous by the way. Learning while doing a lume coloration of a Tudor BB58 Rep. I have owned the Gen, which is just stunning, and the biggest flaw in the Rep is the lume on dial and hands which is too white. My goal is a simpel DIY approach without fully dismantling a watch. Hope it works!

Reactions: HacknHand

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
@HacknHand regarding the Moonswatch models, i got the Moon, Mercury, Sun, Mars ofcourse and Pluto. I adore the Moon for being an inexpensive take on a legend. I have said enough about Mars already, stunning!! Sun with the extra yellow rubber strap screams summertime 🤩🤩🤩. And Pluto has been confiscated by my girlfriend, great piece as well. Bought her an extra color matching strap and it is awesome. Mercury for me is a lesser aproach on the Moon version. Still want totry Jupiter and Earth.

You going to wear it as is or feeling a bit adventurous as well?

Reactions: Procurator

HacknHand

10/3/22
You going to wear it as is or feeling a bit adventurous as well?

I'm wearing as is for the time being, I got some cheap Ali straps before I even had the watches and they ended up being a great match, much better than the terrible original straps! I like both of these $27 shitters, only real problem is the Pluto subdials are a poor colour match but I can live with that. I can't even buy the gen in my country so these will do.

MS-01.jpg

MS-02.jpg

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
I'm wearing as is for the time being, I got some cheap Ali straps before I even had the watches and they ended up being a great match, much better than the terrible original straps! I like both of these $27 shitters, only real problem is the Pluto subdials are a poor colour match but I can live with that. I can't even buy the gen in my country so these will do.

MS-01.jpg

MS-02.jpg

I have to travel 90 km and hope they have something in stock. No way i am doing that. I was excited when this was launched but i dont like the chosen sale strategy. Also, the fake has a sweeping chrono hand and is servicable, the original has a dead seconds hand and the case cannot be opened. So any issues in the future and you can bin it.

Weird it got a mismatch in color by the way. I bought it also from Ali for almost 40 and it is absolutely perfect. As is the strap from Ali.. Will send a picture later.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU

MS-01.jpg

MS-02.jpg

This is the Pluto i got from Ali

HacknHand

10/3/22
This is the Pluto i got from Ali

Yep, certainly better colour consistency/accuracy than mine but I kept my expectations in check, it's a cheap clone of a cheap watch and really, for US$27 with free shipping I can't complain.

Can you share a link to the one you picked up?

Reactions: Eddio

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Yep, certainly better colour consistency/accuracy than mine but I kept my expectations in check, it's a cheap clone of a cheap watch and really, for US$27 with free shipping I can't complain.

Can you share a link to the one you picked up?
True indeed for that money.

Have send the link via DM.

Reactions: HacknHand

funkeymonkey

Known Member
Certified
12/2/23
Austria
I really like this mod, since the bioceramic Moonswatch feels like a toy to me. Last week I was at the swatch store to get a watch for my son and I thought that I would want to have a Moonswatch because of its looks, but the price seemed a bit high for a watch that has the same feeling like the flik flak we were eventually getting. But the flik flak was only a 5th of the price of the Moonswatch...

So big congratulations to this beautiful idea of putting it into a metal housing!

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
I really like this mod, since the bioceramic Moonswatch feels like a toy to me. Last week I was at the swatch store to get a watch for my son and I thought that I would want to have a Moonswatch because of its looks, but the price seemed a bit high for a watch that has the same feeling like the flik flak we were eventually getting. But the flik flak was only a 5th of the price of the Moonswatch...

So big congratulations to this beautiful idea of putting it into a metal housing!
Thanks mate for these kind words!!!!

Reactions: funkeymonkey

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Ok. So I was able to finally get my hands on a legit Mars Moonswatch. Now I am trying to figure out which metal case is the best to house it in. Part of me is tempted to find a junked actual speedy case but that would mean the case is like 5x more expensive than the swatch itself and I have no idea if it will actually work considering people here mentioning issues with crown stems.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Ok. So I was able to finally get my hands on a legit Mars Moonswatch. Now I am trying to figure out which metal case is the best to house it in. Part of me is tempted to find a junked actual speedy case but that would mean the case is like 5x more expensive than the swatch itself and I have no idea if it will actually work considering people here mentioning issues with crown stems.
Crown issues is a big word, if the case diameter of the donor case is slighty of, 0.1 mm then the stem needs to be adjusted. Also be aware, the gen case can only be opened by destroying the case. There is no way back.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
It's a challenge, and if you don't care about the cost, have at it! The worst that can happen is failure... 😜

Personally, I'd keep it simple.

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Crown issues is a big word, if the case diameter of the donor case is slighty of, 0.1 mm then the stem needs to be adjusted. Also be aware, the gen case can only be opened by destroying the case. There is no way back.
Merp. That's exactly my fear. I've done enough watch touch ups of my own to know that fucking up on seating the movement and/or fucking up with the stem means a lot more work on my part. And yes I am aware about how it destroy's the case (thanks for looking out though appreciate it). I mostly got the real thing for the dial and the hands. I want to experiment with other movements to see if I can get those to work with it too because MAN the quartz they put into this thing is honestly cheap garbage.
It's a challenge, and if you don't care about the cost, have at it! The worst that can happen is failure... 😜

Personally, I'd keep it simple.
Yeah but messing up on getting the wrong size rep case vs realizing im stuck with a gen case I can't even use will be a big feels bad. I'm tempted to just talk to my watchmaker to see if he has a gen case just hanging around and if he is willing to experiment for my sake. Best case scenario he proves that the concept works and I can just source myself a case, an aftermarket red speedmaster bezel insert, get everything all together and just slap a flat link forstner band on it.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Merp. That's exactly my fear. I've done enough watch touch ups of my own to know that fucking up on seating the movement and/or fucking up with the stem means a lot more work on my part. And yes I am aware about how it destroy's the case (thanks for looking out though appreciate it). I mostly got the real thing for the dial and the hands. I want to experiment with other movements to see if I can get those to work with it too because MAN the quartz they put into this thing is honestly cheap garbage.

Yeah but messing up on getting the wrong size rep case vs realizing im stuck with a gen case I can't even use will be a big feels bad. I'm tempted to just talk to my watchmaker to see if he has a gen case just hanging around and if he is willing to experiment for my sake. Best case scenario he proves that the concept works and I can just source myself a case, an aftermarket red speedmaster bezel insert, get everything all together and just slap a flat link forstner band on it.
Cool mod to try and see if an automatic movement could be fitted. Please keep us posted. And yes its a cheap movement but hey its more a swatch then a Omega in the end.