• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Cool mod to try and see if an automatic movement could be fitted. Please keep us posted. And yes its a cheap movement but hey its more a swatch then a Omega in the end.
Yeah i doubt any automatic would work considering it would likely means changing how the hands would work with the movement. Im just looking for a better quartz movement than the unrepairable cheap crap they put into here.

Reactions: Eddio

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
Yeah i doubt any automatic would work considering it would likely means changing how the hands would work with the movement. Im just looking for a better quartz movement than the unrepairable cheap crap they put into here.
or perhaps a metaquartz?

RDRoss

Respected Member
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
I’m wondering if a movement similar to the one in the iwc 3741 might work.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
While it would be might impressive to swap in an iwc mecha quartz movement in… I heavily doubt its worth the financial liability to experiment with
Indeed, it should remain in the Moonswatch league of value to keep it fun to try.

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Looks like this guy seated a mecha quartz movement but im unsure if it is interacting with the two upper subdials correctly

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Looks like this guy seated a mecha quartz movement but im unsure if it is interacting with the two upper subdials correctly

why do you think its a mecaquartz? The fakaes have a sweeping chrono hand.

Beartooth

CREAM OF THE CROP
Patron
Certified
22/2/22
Nuclear sponge
If you want you can replace the movement in the rep Moonswatch with the movement inside the gen:
https://calibercorner.com/swatch-moonswatch-movement/
Its the G10:212: https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-g10-212/

They run about $50 on ebay.
Thank you very much for the info, @Ride2live

I didn't think the fixed subdial problem would bother me, but now that the rep moonswatch is in hand, it does. I want my chrono to.... well, chrono. ETA G10:212 is being added to my parts list for this project now.

Reactions: Hesekiel and Eddio

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Thank you very much for the info, @Ride2live

I didn't think the fixed subdial problem would bother me, but now that the rep moonswatch is in hand, it does. I want my chrono to.... well, chrono. ETA G10:212 is being added to my parts list for this project now.
I have it on my maybe list as well, first i need to practice. Still have the old dial and movement from the metal case. If i can remove the movement and place it back easily i will do it oherwise i will leave the rep movement. Althoigh the rep lacks a functional dial i still prefer a sweeping chrono hand. But lets see....

Beartooth

CREAM OF THE CROP
Patron
Certified
22/2/22
Nuclear sponge
I have it on my maybe list as well, first i need to practice. Still have the old dial and movement from the metal case. If i can remove the movement and place it back easily i will do it oherwise i will leave the rep movement. Althoigh the rep lacks a functional dial i still prefer a sweeping chrono hand. But lets see....
What movement came with the Corguet? Maybe I'll just try a dial and hands swap before ordering the ETA movement.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Having a hell of a time getting the crown off the Corgeut stem. Currently soaking in WD 40- might be glued in.

@Eddio did you have similar issues? I'm so close to finishing...

Reactions: Eddio