• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Moonswatch metal mod aka Project Alaskswatch

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
One last thing- did I see on another thread you had to buy a spacer as well to hold the movement? I've tried to find it but cannot

Thanks

Was trying to... This mod has 2 difficult steps, one is getting the stem the right size and 2 you need to create a extra spacer yourself to get the moonswatch dial to fit in the case. Without it, the dial will hang loose inside the case onle being held at 3 o clock by the stem.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Hey @Eddio, what clasp do you have on your US1450? The stock US clasp?

In case you want one with an Omega logo, I can recommend the gen clasp from the Speedmaster Mark II bracelet. Perfect fit for the Uncle Seiko. I got mine brand new for under €80 to go with my gen 3861 + US1450.

Great piece of advice!!!!! Thanks dude, where did you buy it? At an AD?

I got the 1450 Uncle strap with the 20mm vintage pressure clasp. And let me say this about that 1450 bracelet. I am not impressed. I own a Seiko 6139 Pogue with a great Uncleseiko bracelet but i am not a fan of this version with that clasp. The clasp feels and sounds cheap and the rest of the bracelet is oke but nothing more. That 6139 bracelet is an awesome bracelet!!!

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
Really cool to see people getting excited on this Mod, helping out and all the kind words!!!!!

RWI is a cool place to be!!!

When i have succes with my other mod project (Tudor BB58) i will make a thread as well for that.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
Great piece of advice!!!!! Thanks dude, where did you buy it? At an AD?
ebay. But any Omega boutique or AD should be able to order one for you as this part is still in production.
I got the 1450 Uncle strap with the 20mm vintage pressure clasp. And let me say this about that 1450 bracelet. I am not impressed.
Yes, it doesn't feel very high-end, but you have to consider the relatively low price compared to a gen Omega 1450. For the price, it's a good enough quality.
The clasp feels and sounds cheap and the rest of the bracelet is oke but nothing more.
The Mark II clasp is basically the same function-wise, but much more refined... It's a gen piece after all, but 1970s "technology" nevertheless. You have to decide whether $90 on eBay or probably $100 or more at an AD is worth to you having the Omega logo. If you need something more substantial and "current technology" feeling, for only $40, the new double button milled clasp Uncle Seiko has for the US1450 is probably a better choice.

Reactions: Eddio

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Nice project! My biggest bitch with the moonswatches was that horrible quartz tick. I'm thinking of giving this a go but what are my chances of finding a mechanical movement to meet the quartz subdial layout? This will be my next piece of research. I can always broach or crimp the hands to do its thing.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
A interesting question but one i cannot answer. For this you need technical information for a PE50 and mechanical movements with a 3 6 9 dial layout to see which one has similar dimensions.

Eddio

11/6/16
EU
@rockdaytona saw your comment in the Tudor topic, welcome to the topic on the metallification of a Moonswatch. See progress history above!

Reactions: rockdaytona

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
I'm thinking of giving this a go but what are my chances of finding a mechanical movement to meet the quartz subdial layout?
Wild guess: Close to 0.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt. Some of the pro modders here may be able to give a more definite answer. But from my limited knowledge, I can't think of a mechanical movement with the same layout, at least none that is known as "cost-effective"...

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Super impressive mate
Why shouldn't I trade with you?

322sCS.jpg

Last edited:

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Idk lol i had some problem back in years ago which was resolved but this tag was never removed, but i am not trading anything :D
OK thanks for the honesty lol.

I have seen this tag a few times before. But never with an active user, I think.